+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Florida mystery shipwreck

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Florida mystery shipwreck

Yesterday we explored an unidentified wreck in 290 feet of water off Sebastian. It appears to be an approximately 250 foot long American freighter lost in World War II. This area of Florida is extremely dynamic and you never know what kind of conditions you will get. Fortunately, we had stellar conditions. Abundant marine life and a cool wreck covered in Oculina coral -- and there were zero lionfish! We are seeing more and more deep wrecks with few or no lionfish this year...hopefully something is going on to thin the horde.
    Hope you enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/CLAjrKlffMA

Cheers,
    Mike

Supporting Member mt_diablo is an unknown quantity at this point mt_diablo's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon

Re: Florida mystery shipwreck

Very cool, Barney! Thanks for sharing :)

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a nice dive.
    What was your equipment and gas choice? Deco and bailout plans?

The wreck should be identifiable. Any plans to do so?
    http://www.usmm.org/natlantic.html

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Thanks for posting!

Beautiful looking video to watch!

Best regards,
    Chett. L

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uwxplorer  View Original Post
    The wreck should be identifiable. Any plans to do so?
    http://www.usmm.org/natlantic.html
    Yes, you would think so. Having researched shipwrecks for almost 20 years and this one is a real thorn in my side. While I have a pretty good vibe on the type of freighter and possible builder, I can't connect the dots as yet. I think the identity of this one will be quite interesting and end up being far from where she was reported to have been sunk.

RBW Member ALangman is an unknown quantity at this point ALangman's Avatar

Fantastic! Good luck identifying her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Great Find, Thanks