+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compass for scooter

Paul Daniels eXile is on a distinguished road eXile is on a distinguished road eXile's Avatar
    Davis Station, Antarctica(Usually Jervis Bay, Australia)
    Ouroboros #107

Classic Inspo, Ray, Homebuild

Compass for scooter

Hi everyone. I have got my homemade scooter running but have noticed that its quite hard to navigate whilst operating the scooter. I think I remember ages ago seeing somebody had mounted a nice big compass to the nose of their scooter. What do you all use?

Cheers,
    Paul

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

Re: Compass for scooter

Suunto has some good compass for kayaking wich has been used in scooters with succes.

Best.

RBW Member Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik's Avatar
    IDA-71(KISS Mod)

IDA-59 O2 Mod & KISS, IDA-72

Mounting compass on the scooter heavily depends on scooter motor magnetic shielding.
    Deviation caused by running motor can be cause of serious course error.
    Old constant voltage motors like Aquazepp can cause up to 90 deg deviation.

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

As you can see, my scooter has an arm on the front side with a mounted compass, this one is the standard "ball type" that can be easily found at nautical shops.

It is at sight at every moment and allows a good aiming. The only drawback is that when scooter used with more than 70% power, the vibration of the scooter body makes the compass to give false readings.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

My 3 Gavin clones are using Silva 70UN compasses, which can be bought new for less than €80.00. Please keep the compass as far away as possible from the wiring harness since the high currents through the wiring harness play hell on the magnetic field. Its not unusual to have a 30° directional variation between motor on and motor off.

The Silva 70UN works well even at extreme degrees of tilting, which most kayaking compasses don't excell at.
    Michael
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 28th July 2015 at 14:53.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I use a deck mounted compass. Works great and very easy to read.
    http://m.rei.com/product/752705/seat...r-deck-compass

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I use a deck mounted compass. Works great and very easy to read.
    http://m.rei.com/product/752705/seat...r-deck-compass

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    More than 3 years ago I bought 3 of them via Amazon, They did not like being tilted by more than a couple of degrees. Shortly afterwards I shitcanned all 3, bought the Silvas and never looked back.

Michael

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

Im with Ken on this one. Been using mine for a few years and have had no tilt issues. But im usually not glued to it either. Its a quick reference thing. I ditched the mounting band for bungees. Works great.uploadfromtaptalk1438152608232.jpg

RBW Member Baden Paddy is an unknown quantity at this point Baden Paddy's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Hi AQUANOMAD,
    a bit off topic, but your scooter looks like prepared with 2 torpedo pipes and a long hose ?
    What are carrying in the pipes and are they mounted to the scooter ?

Cheers...
    Paddy

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

I have (2) 72s banded to the bottom. The pvc pipes are to trim them out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast