+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doria diver missing

RBW Member abscuba is an unknown quantity at this point abscuba's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Doria diver missing

Saw this pop up. Hope he is found floating on a lift bag and unhurt.

(July 21, 2015) The U.S. Coast Guard is reporting a missing diver near the wreck site of
    the Italian luxury liner Andrea Doria 58 miles south of Nantucket.

Petty officer Cindy Oldham of Coast Guard First District in Boston said the 64-year-old male diver off the boat John Jack out of Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., was reported missing around 2:14 p.m. The diver, whose name was not released, is wearing black dive gear, and mariners are asked to keep a sharp lookout and report any sightings to the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard cutter Juniper, patrol boat Chinook, a fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter have been dispatched to the area to assist in the search.

The Andrea Doria sank July 26, 1956, 11 hours after a collision with the Swedish American Line's Stockholm. While 1,660 passengers were rescued, 46 people died.

Sixteen divers have lost their lives diving on the wreck, and conditions at the wreck site are treacherous.

RBW Member Vanny is an unknown quantity at this point Vanny's Avatar
    Inspo vision

Re: Doria diver missing

I hope the poor chaps been found without any problems.

Out of interest not coming from that part of the world the coast guards comment of the wreck being "treacherous" has caught my attention. Anyone with local knowledge shed some light on what makes this particular wreck treacherous ?

Cheers

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Thinking this is because of the location middle of now where , that it is a deep wreck , the wreck has collapsed on it self and diver want to find goodies, so they take risk...
    my own opinion.

RBW Member abscuba is an unknown quantity at this point abscuba's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Its a combination of being deep, in the middle of no where, current, visibility. Pretty much every factor that can come together to make a dive challenging. Can find lots of stories of folks not making it back from that dive. Still hoping the best for the lost diver.

RBW Member Vanny is an unknown quantity at this point Vanny's Avatar
    Inspo vision

Oh ok.

Yes, fingers crossed all turns out ok.

RBW Member WreckDiverCT is an unknown quantity at this point WreckDiverCT's Avatar
    rEvoIII Micro hRMS

Damn, this is right in my backyard. Hopefully he's floating on a bag. The water is warm and seas pretty calm right now so he has a chance if he is.

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

Awful news. We'll keep the diver, their family, the crew and passengers in our prayers.
    -Capt Tom McCarthy
    Stone Rust | East Coast Wreck Diving
    SF2 | rEvo
    Training | Charters | Equipment

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

Unhappy Re: Doria diver missing

Again this is an all too familiar news blurb, I am re thinking my future deep dives as i get older.Is the risk/reward worth it? I have always felt its the quality of the dive that matters.prayers go out to all that knew him.He will be missed.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by markdol2  View Original Post
    Again this is an all too familiar news blurb, I am re thinking my future deep dives as i get older.Is the risk/reward worth it? I have always felt its the quality of the dive that matters.prayers go out to all that knew him.He will be missed.
    Agreed. Some of my most memorable and best dives have been in less than 100' of water. Deep historic wrecks will always have a draw however, just not for me. I live vicariously through the stories and pictures of those that have gone before me and I respect them immensely for their explorations.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I lived on Martha's Vineyard before I learned to dive and remember the pretty much annual fatality on the Doria always made big news. It almost felt like something that was expected over the summer. It left me with a lot of respect for it, especially knowing the seas and weather round there. But strangely it has always had a real draw, probably for the same reasons. I can understand the pull.

Sad news. It's a hell of an expanse of water out there too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast