+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Water in Sorb

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

Re: Water in Sorb

Its funny how we are trained with a certain set of rules that make perfect intuitive sense ad we assume they must be true even when we have never experienced them.

For me, this was especially true with the assumption regarding wet sorb. I was trained, and believed, that when the sorb got wet, your WOB would increase considerably. As luck would have it, I found this assumption to not always be true due to a seriously stupid mistake on my part.

Many years ago, I was at Hal Watts, a 240' sinkhole in North Florida diving an Evo+. I walked into the water with my mouthpiece open and realized it almost immediately due to the stream of bubbles coming out of my DSV. I won't bore you with the events of the day, but I was in no mood to get out of my unit and open the system up. Instead, like an idiot, I opened the manual addition on my exhale countering, dumped any water that was in CL out and the replaced my manual addition and proceeded on my dive to 240'.

I was under the assumption that I hardly got any water in the system and felt that the number of water traps, etc in the system would protect me. To be honest, my only concern at that time was a caustic cocktail. During the dive, my temp stick read perfectly normal and the WOB was perfect so I assumed I got all of the water out of the system. Can you see where this is going yet?

As luck would have it, i was going through my deco stops when at 70' I was hit with a very rapid CO2 hit. I bailed out in time and spent the next 45 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. I assumed check valves or some kind of bypass as the hit was fast and immediate.

When I finally cleared my dive and was able to open my unit I discovered a scrubber that was in so much water that it looked like soup. The water (fresh water, btw) managed to kill my sorb, but the unit had such resilient water traps and WOB that neither were effected or noticeable to me during the dive.

It was on this day that I learned that water in contact with your sorb does not follow what I was taught. It did not, in this case, have an effect on my WOB and it did not give me a caustic cocktail. I was always under the assumption that I would know if my sorb was wet by the WOB change...I could not have been more wrong.

Of course, i learned other valuable things that day. Like being more adament about closing my DSV at all times unless its in your mouth. Most of all, to never be such an idiot as to assume I can have some idea of how much water I got in the unit. I admit my mistake was classic complacency, it was not my first stupid move and I am certain I will continue to make them. I hope to make them less often.

So be careful with your assumptions based on intuitive logic...it doesn't always play out the way we think. I share this story with every entry level student I train and I hope it makes an impression on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Husker diver  View Original Post
    Good idea? Well, it doesn't suck but certainly not needed. Really, the only thing that tells you is that your screwed, which is something that you would likely already know if you had a full flood. Most rebreathers, like my Inspo for instance, have plenty of floor space to take water before it enters the sorb. If that space gets filled, WOB is going to be horrendous if not damn near impossible. Besides, you can't see your can anyway and how often do you have a dive buddy that is watching you that closely? You're going to be the first to notice something going wrong while your buddy is looking at the wreck or a fish. Clear cans don't suck but really not necessary. Big benefit I see is once you return to the boat after you have your problem, you can easily look in to see if your sorb is compromised. That would be the reason I would like to have one on my Inspo.
    Last edited by PSotis; 26th July 2015 at 17:22. Reason: Spelling

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar
    Inspo w/Deep Pursuit head:)

Quote Originally Posted by PSotis  View Original Post
    Its funny how we are trained with a certain set of rules that make perfect intuitive sense ad we assume they must be true even when we have never experienced them.

For me, this was especially true with the assumption regarding wet sorb. I was trained, and believed, that when the sorb got wet, your WOB would increase considerably. As luck would have it, I found this assumption to not always be true due to a seriously stupid mistake on my part.

Many years ago, I was at Hal Watts, a 240' sinkhole in North Florida diving an Evo+. I walked into the water with my mouthpiece open and realized it almost immediately due to the stream of bubbles coming out of my DSV. I won't bore you with the events of the day, but I was in no mood to get out of my unit and open the system up. Instead, like an idiot, I opened the manual addition on my exhale countering, dumped any water that was in CL out and the replaced my manual addition and proceeded on my dive to 240'.

I was under the assumption that I hardly got any water in the system and felt that the number of water traps, etc in the system would protect me. To be honest, my only concern at that time was a caustic cocktail. During the dive, my temp stick read perfectly normal and the WOB was perfect so I assumed I got all of the water out of the system. Can you see where this is going yet?

As luck would have it, i was going through my deco stops when at 70' I was hit with a very rapid CO2 hit. I bailed out in time and spent the next 45 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. I assumed check valves or some kind of bypass as the hit was fast and immediate.

When I finally cleared my dive and was able to open my unit I discovered a scrubber that was in so much water that it looked like soup. The water (fresh water, btw) managed to kill my sorb, but the unit had such resilient water traps and WOB that neither were effected or noticeable to me during the dive.

It was on this day that I learned that water in contact with your sorb does not follow what I was taught. It did not, in this case, have an effect on my WOB and it did not give me a caustic cocktail. I was always under the assumption that I would know if my sorb was wet by the WOB change...I could not have been more wrong.

Of course, i learned other valuable things that day. Like being more adament about closing my DSV at all times unless its in your mouth. Most of all, to never be such an idiot as to assume I can have some idea of how much water I got in the unit. I admit my mistake was classic complacency, it was not my first stupid move and I am certain I will continue to make them. I hope to make them less often.

So be careful with your assumptions based on intuitive logic...it doesn't always play out the way we think. I share this story with every entry level student I train and I hope it makes an impression on them.
    Wow, well, hell, not sure where to go with this. So, the entire stack was essentially flooded, your temp stick showed you no abnormal indication and your WOB was no different? Not trying to second guess you, but, how can that be (teaching moment here)? Are the CL's really that powerful to push air through all that without you noticing?

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

To clarify, the scrubber was flooded. in the early part of the dive I was watching the temp stick and WOB but when things seemed to be going normal I did not pay too much attention to it the rest of the time. I thought there was noting to worry about and focused on my PO2's and my dive. Turns out I was wrong.

Like I said, not one of my finer moments, but at least I got to learn something from it. I don't think it has anything to do with the power of the CL's. But it does give merit to a machine that can offer that kind of water protection from caustic cocktail and deliver WOB even when the sorb is wet.

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar

Well, we've all got that one dive that we can point to where we could have (read that as should have) done a better job at doing what we do. God knows I had mine this spring and Sharkey can tell you the story.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Well, we've all got that one dive that we can point to where we could have (read that as should have) done a better job at doing what we do. God knows I had mine this spring and Sharkey can tell you the story.
    One dive? Hell, I have a whole string of them.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

I have one dive but I've also only got about 100 dives down whereas you probably have about 17,000. Let me get to your level and I'll be able to say the same thing I'm sure.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I have one dive but I've also only got about 100 dives down whereas you probably have about 17,000. Let me get to your level and I'll be able to say the same thing I'm sure.
    I would like to make a suggestion that you learn from my mistakes and not repeat them, rather than try to match my questionable accomplishments.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Agreed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3