+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Water in Sorb

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar
    Inspo w/Deep Pursuit head:)

Water in Sorb

Question, does water intrusion into sorb affect the chemical reaction? Granted, I know the main threat that gets hammered into us in training regarding water and sorb is the caustic cocktail but I'm wondering if it also affects performance?

Thoughts?

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Re: Water in Sorb

It has been suggested that in some cases it may work better, but I think at the same time can hit wob. It's amazing that we don't really know enough about what goes on with sorb, but start to get snippets from people who are doing a lot of testing. Raises the question in my mind as to how much the manufacturers ( of the sorb) a) know about it, and b) share that knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Wet sorb will not scrub CO2.

I don't care what anyone says - I very nearly died because my entire sorb bed was wet - no caustic cocktail, just the worst hypercapnia you could possibly imagine.

And yes, water is generated by the exothermic reaction, but we're talking about a couple of teaspoons per 1 hour of sorb over it's complete CO2 absorption capability, not anything like a flood.

Just my $.02, which in this case happens to be worth Diamonds.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w  View Original Post
    It has been suggested that in some cases it may work better, but I think at the same time can hit wob. It's amazing that we don't really know enough about what goes on with sorb, but start to get snippets from people who are doing a lot of testing. Raises the question in my mind as to how much the manufacturers ( of the sorb) a) know about it, and b) share that knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW - we were actually testing things like this at Hydrospace (US Navy Lab) a month ago using LiOh. Wet = Bad (freshwater wet, not saltwater wet. Saltwater + LiOh = Really Bad. Those are very scientific terms, so don't use them unless you are a Trained Professional)...

Kevin.

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    BTW - we were actually testing things like this at Hydrospace (US Navy Lab) a month ago using LiOh. Wet = Bad (freshwater wet, not saltwater wet. Saltwater + LiOh = Really Bad. Those are very scientific terms, so don't use them unless you are a Trained Professional)...

Kevin.
    That's what I thought the answer would be. I appreciated it! This was just a question of curiosity more than trying to justify a bad decision.

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Wet sorb will not scrub CO2.

I don't care what anyone says - I very nearly died because my entire sorb bed was wet - no caustic cocktail, just the worst hypercapnia you could possibly imagine.

And yes, water is generated by the exothermic reaction, but we're talking about a couple of teaspoons per 1 hour of sorb over it's complete CO2 absorption capability, not anything like a flood.

Just my $.02, which in this case happens to be worth Diamonds.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Hell, they could drop you on your head from a 6 story building and you would get up and walk away. Many of us, that have bought your unit, think you are probably from another planet and not subject to what us earthlings have to face.

Miss seeing you and hope all is well in HH land.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I am not entirely convinced the common concepts of this are true. I agree that a water logged scrubber is definitely not what we want, but I have seen a Meg diver flood his unit pretty badly and not only continue the dive, but complete his deco obligation also. After the dive his sorb was damn near mushy from all the water and he never took a hit.

I flooded my revo and thumbed the dive early to not rack up any more deco. I still had 45 minutes of hang time before getting out of the water. When I got on the boat and opened my unit, approximately 25 fluid ounces of water ran out of the lower scrubber housing. the lower scrubber was completed soaked and the upper one had about 1/4 of the top of it still dry. Maybe that bit of dry stuff did all the work, maybe not?

I still prefer to keep my sorb dry and not take chances with it failing prematurely.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Well, I'm not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination but I can't imagine that the introduction of water into the chemical reaction wouldn't have some sort of affect. I'm thinking an email to Molecular Products is in order. Curiosity is just killing me.

Email sent to Molecular Products. It'll be interesting to see what their reply will be. I have a suspicion that it'll be what Kevin stated earlier in the thread but I can't deny DSix's experience. Looking forward to their reply.

Molecular Products replied to my inquiry and confirmed exactly what Kevin was saying. MP confirmed that water inhibits the chemical reaction, and, in some instance, shuts down the process completely. I guess now we know.