+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: recreational and technical rebreather in one unit??

RBW Member dave87 is an unknown quantity at this point dave87's Avatar
    mk6

recreational and technical rebreather in one unit??

Hi guys
    I'm a newbie rebreather wise and was hoping that you could help me out with some of your experience. I am already a technical diver and would like to by a rebreather.my problem is that I would like to by a unit I can use for recreational diving first and later on when I have the experience for technical diving.is there a unit on the market I could look into??i dont want to buy a unit use it for one or two years and find out that i cant use it for deeper dives.I found a Poseidon mk6 fully equipped with tanks, regulator,battery(60m) and everything for 5100$ aud.I heard I could upgrade this unit later on if I wanted but isn't that more a recreational rebreather?? As you see i could really need some help!!!!
    Anyway any ideas suggestions and Info's are muchly appreciated

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: recreational and technical rebreather in one unit??

Its a bit like saying you want to buy a recreational 12ltr scuba tank and upgrade to a technical scuba tank later on.

There are some scuba tanks (like dumpy12s ) which dont make easy upgrades to twin 12s and its the same in terms of CCR

just buy a "normal" CCR and start by diveing it shallow then build up to depth on the same unit

There are no advantages with depth limited CCR

ATB

Mark

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Hi, I've had a classic inspo for over 10 yrs now, it's just as happy at 20m as it is at 100m, you just use different diluent mix's and carry more bail out cylinders. It is a bit dated now, if I was starting out again I would get one with integrated dive computer and HUD/HUS.
    Regards
    Baz

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

One thing I like about the classic is there's none of this bullshit about batteries or unlock keys to remove artificial restrictions on what the unit can do.

You buy the unit, you dive it. The restrictions on tech use are where they should be - between your ears.

Any "real" rebreather will function just as happily at 5m as it will at 100m+.

Watch out for anything claiming to be a proper rebreather that prevents you going past a certain depth until you've bought some other gadget or key or battery from the manufacturer.

RBW Member IainC is an unknown quantity at this point IainC's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

For a relatively inexpensive intro to CCR it is hard to beat a 2nd hand classic or vision.

It works fine as a recreational unit and will take you down to 100m if/when you are ready

I was an OC mix diver, got 2nd hand vision, spent a year diving it to max 40m, just now finished my Mod2 and doing some deeper dives. No point in buying a 'rec' unit then retraining, also no point in spending £££ on new when 2nd hand is common - money is better spent on training and diving.

As starfish says - the classic is just a RB, no dive computer so no restrictions/nothing to buy when you get to the next level, also never seen a 2nd hand Vision that was not trimix enabled already, so more or less the same applies.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

And, much as I've had fun with my Classic, I'll note that I've easily spent the difference between it and a Vision fixing handset issues and eventually giving up on them altogether to replace them with an AV1 controller.

I don't regret a moment of it, but...

Unless you REALLY like tinkering with kit, I'd recommend saving the little bit extra and going for the vision. The integrated HUD, temp stick and proper dive computer make it a pretty attractive proposition. If you're lucky to score one with an OCB and back mounted lungs already fitted, even better - that's a damn sweet rig.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Its not that much extra either

I have a mate selling a fully working Vision for £2500 trimix enabled deco copmuter HUD etc.

I am not a fan of APD (nothing to do with the units) but if I were starting out now a Vision would be a sensible choice.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member P-A is an unknown quantity at this point P-A's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Buy any rebreather that you can grow with and gradually increase your depth and difficulty. My unit of choice is the Pelagian, a manual rebreather without any limits. I use both for rec and tech.

RBW Member madmosche is an unknown quantity at this point madmosche's Avatar
    Prism2, Explorer

Like most others said, I would go ahead and get a "regular" fully-capable rebreather. You can use it for all the shallow, recreational dives that you want and when you are ready to go deep, you don't have to buy an upgrade or different unit. Don't forget the training costs of multiple different units!

Vic Vic is an unknown quantity at this point Vic's Avatar
    Meg

Where in Australia are you located?

I agree with all that the others are saying - i.e., buy a fully capable rebreather, if you learn to dive it at 20m you'll be more equipped to dive deeper as well.

I'd only add that given the general small CCR community in Aus, its really useful if there are others with the same unit around to provide advice and support when learning to dive it. You should also be able to try a few 'fully capable' units in most places, don't; go for the Poseidon just cause the local dive shop is pushing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast