+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Virkon S perishable?

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Is Virkon S perishable?

IMG_0544.jpgIMG_0545.jpghi folks,

After my weekly dive, i usually just rince my rebreather with water, and only use Virkon S two or three times per year.

On recent dives i have started getting some allergy underwater after some time sneezing, having to snuff a few times... no big deal, but annoying. So i thought it might be time for a good cleaning of my unit.

I then looked for my Virkon S tablets that have been waiting there for years (since i use them very seldom), and got quite surprised to see they looked a bit pink, and it seemed like there was some humidity inside the containers where i store them (see one in photo).
    No clue on how/why humidity entered there, as these have always stayed within my garage, which can be a bit wet when gear is drying, but i mean nothing worse recently.

Nevermind, i dropped one tablet per counterlung as usual, but found out that they weren't dissolving in the water: nothing was happening.

So has my Virkon S perished? Has it happened to you in the past? Anything to do to prevent it?

thanks in advance for your thoughts
    Nicolas

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Is Virkon S perishable?

No good. If they are pink and not dissolving, they are probably not good anymore. But putting a whole tablet in each CL seems excessive. A single tablet is supposed to be dissolved in about 16 ounces/500 ml of water. That should be enough for both CLs plus the loop with some left over.
    I store my container of Rely-On tablets in an airtight bag filled with Damp Rid, the stuff that removes moisture from musty closets. I can keep a container of tablets for a few years this way.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

I spend my can of Virkon also yesterday, they where also a little bit pink, don't know or they always are, I threw a few in water ( 1 /500 ml) and let them sit for a while, after a few minutes I could crush them and they dissolved.
    I think you can still use yours , maybe the effect is slightly less .

But like i always say: my advise is worth what you payed for it !

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Thanks guys
    I'll definitely buy some fresh virkon as the fresh ones normally dissolve very quickly and turn the water pink, whereas those almost produced no reaction.
    @Kwinter, the rEvo counterlungs are each a few liters i think, so 1 tablet per counterlung shouldn't be too much

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Thanks guys
    I'll definitely buy some fresh virkon as the fresh ones normally dissolve very quickly and turn the water pink, whereas those almost produced no reaction.
    @Kwinter, the rEvo counterlungs are each a few liters i think, so 1 tablet per counterlung shouldn't be too much

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Mine disolve slow but still turn The water pink. They are old but kept dry.

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

RBW Member Sambo is an unknown quantity at this point Sambo's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Mine did the same. Contacted the supplier and got told to keep them in the fridge. Last forever now.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    A single tablet is supposed to be dissolved in about 16 ounces/500 ml of water. That should be enough for both CLs plus the loop with some left over.
    Hi
    Am I right in interpreting your comment that you use just 500mls of water with a single virkon tablet to sterilise the loop and both lungs??

Thanks

Cathal

rEvo III micro FT RMS

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo  View Original Post
    Mine did the same. Contacted the supplier and got told to keep them in the fridge. Last forever now.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
    Really? Isn't that too wet? With some silicagel and within a sealed bag maybe?

rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicool  View Original Post

Nevermind, i dropped one tablet per counterlung as usual, but found out that they weren't dissolving in the water: nothing was happening.
    I don't know or I understand correctly but this sounds like you put the water in you CCR lungs and then put the tablet in there .
    I would always dissolve it in a can before putting it in the lungs. I think if the tablet is in direct contact with the lungs it might react too strong on that spot. Never tried it so I'm not sure

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast