+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New CO2 Sensor Tech

RBW Member AndrewDonn is on a distinguished road AndrewDonn is on a distinguished road AndrewDonn's Avatar
    Mk15

Re: New CO2 Sensor Tech

Skipbreather

The fact they it is different technology is the exciting part. The infrared technology based sensors are a real challenge to get to work in the humid environment so hopefully this would work better.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the article but it sounds like the sensor just outputs a mv response similar to an o2 cell so integration into a controller would be straight forward.

Of course things like response time, humidity effects, compatibility with helium etc still remain to be seen.

RBW Member AndrewDonn is on a distinguished road AndrewDonn is on a distinguished road AndrewDonn's Avatar
    Mk15

I don't know that I really get all of the response time concerns. Response time compared to what? Right now the vast majority of us dive with no way of monitoring co2 in real time. Operationally I don't think anything would change on how we dive or rebreathers. You would still base your scrubber duration based on time on the loop. The sensor would just serve as a backup in the case of extreme over exertion, faulty seal, bad batch of sorb or similar problem the stop watch won't detect. I think diving the scrubber until break through would be a recipe for disaster regardless of sensor response time.

I think the fact that we don't monitor co2 is one of those things that we will look back on 10 years from now and think "those guys were nuts"

RBW Member 724 is an unknown quantity at this point 724's Avatar
    Hollis prism 2

Poesidon MK6

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDonn  View Original Post
    I don't know that I really get all of the response time concerns. Response time compared to what? Right now the vast majority of us dive with no way of monitoring co2 in real time. Operationally I don't think anything would change on how we dive or rebreathers. You would still base your scrubber duration based on time on the loop. The sensor would just serve as a backup in the case of extreme over exertion, faulty seal, bad batch of sorb or similar problem the stop watch won't detect. I think diving the scrubber until break through would be a recipe for disaster regardless of sensor response time.

I think the fact that we don't monitor co2 is one of those things that we will look back on 10 years from now and think "those guys were nuts"

I agree!!

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDonn  View Original Post

+1

Sent from my PAP4500DUO using Tapatalk 2

Supporting Member darushin is an unknown quantity at this point darushin's Avatar
    Prisim 2 & Kiss Spirit LTE

GEM, Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Igor P  View Original Post
    Hm, if I do not mistaken from breakthrought to hypercapnia is not fewe secconds, but a bit longer. And that time should sufice to bailout .... at least that was info I got from lot of users with CO2 sensors simulating breakthrought with leaving scrubber out of CCR. There was some time needed to rise the levels of CO2 high enough to provoke alert and than mild hypercapnia event (they bailout in time to prevent it)

This is first time I hear for so fast jump from no C02 to so high levels.

From test, breakthrough usually occurs very quickly. The bigger problem however is that the rate of retention of CO2 increases at a high rate, which makes every second count.

Daru

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Quote Originally Posted by darushin  View Original Post
    From test, breakthrough usually occurs very quickly. The bigger problem however is that the rate of retention of CO2 increases at a high rate, which makes every second count.

Daru
    Which test? Do you have a link to the paper?

RBW Member madmosche is an unknown quantity at this point madmosche's Avatar
    Prism2, Explorer

Great new technology, hopefully more reliable than optical sensors once they run some tests on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2