+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scubapro and Mares

RBW Member Tastyfish is an unknown quantity at this point Tastyfish's Avatar

Re: Scubapro and Mares

This might be something that affects ScubaPro:
    http://www.johnsonoutdoors.com/uploa...%2022%2015.pdf

The company and the rebreather they have been working on:
    http://www.seabear-diving.com/sensation-ccr.html

I wouldn't mind pieces of that technology, i.e. solid state O2 sensors and integrated CO2 monitoring, in my rebreather. Also the having the Poseidon sensor validation without the all the other Poseidon rubbish could also be plus.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

I believe the issue here is there is a gap between recreational diving and technical diving, the middle ground just doesn't exist. The companies that have come into the marketplace with a crossover or hybrid unit have had little success. I'd say Drager with the Atlantis/dolphin probably has been the most successful so far and look where that product line is now...

The 3 factors I believe at play here are:

- training and the expense that comes with it
    - complexity of diving semi or closed- it isn't don and go
    - economics of owning and diving a unit. It just isn't worth the hassle and gold to dive semi or closed unless it is part of your job or you do it regularly. The economies of diving open far outweigh any benefits of diving closed, even in the long run. Unless you have a trust fund...

So these companies try and make a cheap "easy to use" fast-to-market unit that costs more than most recreational divers are willing to spend for "hobby equipment" and those who are serious about the real benefits of a CCR are willing to put the time and gold into solid units with proven dive records.

Recent stories of dissatisfied owners of the the Disco and Seven (or whatever they are called) units supports this; either the are being sold heavily in the "cool factor" rather than the real benefits or they truely are looking for a solid unit and find out these are rubish compared to other units at the same price-point on the market.

The Titan, plastic-wunder never took hold in the market (yes there are some that dive them but compare that to the number of Megs, Hammers, Inspirations, rEvos, etc. serious ccr divers are using) it isn't even a level playing field.

So just because some global dive manufacture decided they wanted to buy a company and throw their junk in the game doesn't mean it will succeed, I'd say just the opposite. First and foremost you have to understand your customer base, their needs and not your wants for sales, what they are willing to pay, and probably most important relevancy and longevity your product has to the sport. I wouldn't be putting any stock into a success story with this one, nice that Mr. Sieber was able to sell his assets to Johnson however, smart move.

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Can't help being excited by potential innovation, and there were surely some very interesting components in the seabear rebreather plans

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Didn't Oceanic / Hollis try this when they bought out Steam Machines and tried it on with the PRISM2?

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Chris  View Original Post
    Didn't Oceanic / Hollis try this when they bought out Steam Machines and tried it on with the PRISM2?
    Yes, but I think the PRISM has been proven well. The semi closed consumer-level whatever Hollis is selling is a flop, it hasn't and won't take hold. Sad to say...

The main point these manufactures just don't seem to get is the barrier(s) to entry and the fact that the number of "potential" divers for their product is very limited; this will never be a mass-scuba market device- and it shouldn't be one either (their are too many stupid people in this world who don't know when they shouldn't be messing with something that potentially could kill them).

I'm sure we all know of manufacturers with proven solid R&D that just couldn't make it in this market, the cost of doing business is just too high. Another way to look at this is mass vs. niche market consumer goods (and services if you want to throw training into this). When you sell a device in the $6-$10K range, your price per unit is going to be high and your frequency of sale is going to be low. Sounds like the supply demand curves doesn't it... it should

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2