+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Incident & Public Service Annocement

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

My Incident & Public Service Annocement

This past weekend I was at the quarry doing additional testing with running both my Backmount CCR as my primary unit and Sidemount CCR as a bailout CCR. Phase One testing was back in April when I tested the setup in FL during a week of cave diving. The setup worked great, managing both loops proved to be relatively easy, even on a scooter and bailing out to the sidemount unit was pretty easy as-well. Now Phase Two testing was to tryout the setup in cold water, to check fit and make sure everything could be operated with thick gloves and in cold water. Again the setup seemed to work well and transitioning between the primary CCR to the bailout CCR and back was not an issue. The second part of this Phase two testing was to switch to the sidemount CCR, remove the backmount unit, leave it staged on the platform then come back to it and put the back mounted CCR back on. While putting the backmounted CCR back on I had the exhale loop hose detach from the DSV. At the time the hose detached my backmount unit was not fully clipped back in and when I went to reach for the loop the unit had fallen down and away from my back causing the loop to not be reachable. While this was happening the sidemount unit was flooding however I was able to get a few more breaths out of the unit before white cloudish water was coming out the DSV. After multiple attempts and failing to grab the primary loop I decided to go to my buddy who was filming all of this for me. I did have my own bailout but I made the decision to go to my buddy first to avoid having one flooded unit, one unit half on me and a 5' hose deployed. Thanks to my buddy (aka Steelerfan) for sharing some of his air, allowing me to catch my breath, reattach the backmounted unit, get back on the loop, reattach the disconnected loop hose and de-flood the bailout unit.

I learned some valuable lessons about the setup and procedures for removing/reattaching the unit but the number one lesson is to immediately grab the bailout regulator, and not try to resolve the issue while holding your breath. I'm sure everyone will be like Duh, no shit, but that was my reaction to the issue.

Now for my Public Service Announcement
    If you are using a Golem DSV or BOV with 90 degree adapters and the stock shearwater Nerd mounting system pay attention. The metal loops which the nylon webbing attaches to for the nerd mount are too wide for the clearance between the bonnet attachment and the 90 degree adapter. With the slight movements of the 90 degree adapters (which they are suppose to do) they pushed the metal loop in to the white knob that locks the bonnet system to the BOV. This caused the loop hose to come off the DSV.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: My Incident & Public Service Annocement

Good post many thanks for posting such valuble information.

As for grabbing OC bailout?

IMHO Most shy away from it till its desperate

ATB

Mark

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Re: My Incident & Public Service Annocement

Also I should note the nerd and 90 degree adapter setup I have used for about 40 hours so far and I had the strap cause the hose to disconnect once before. This happened while building the unit and a chalked it up to needing to be more careful when mounting it however in this case I was but the strap got a little loose and slide under pressure which caused the hose to come off.

+ Reply to Thread