+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commercial Diving

Hybrid View

RBW Member offshore21 is an unknown quantity at this point offshore21's Avatar
    MEG

Commercial Diving

Hi to all on here.

as rebreatherworld is an platform on advanced divers I wondering if any commercial divers are up on here.

I do search on informations how to become an adequate training and proceeding the step into the commercial diving industries.

Im close to the age of 38, diving since a little of 10 years and stepped into technical diving 5 years ago.

Spending the last 15 years with a finance occupation I am fed up and dull so I want to change.

Yes, I am fully aware commercial diving is not comparable with recreational diving.

I am in good health and body conditions and therefore I want to proceed as quickly as possible with training collecting working experience and go the full range of options this industry offers.

If there are any divers on there walked the same way I do highly appreciate any of your tip and advises.

Thanks and kind regards

Vino

Sent from my iPad

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: Commercial Diving

This is probably the worst time to get into diving. With the price of oil way down and the prospect of it staying that way, there will be little opportunity. I know guys who have 10 years in the biz hurting for work. Subsea7 just laid off hundreds of divers.

Unless you want to work inshore and trudge around in the mud I'd reconsider commercial diving right now.

Cam
    Last edited by cameron; 28th May 2015 at 14:17.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

At 38 you're too old to start doing commercial decompression dives. You are getting to an age where your body decompresses slower than the 25-30 year olds that are used in the industry. Since the pay is usually per meter and hour under pressure, you will be too expensive due to the additional time needed to safely decompress.
    Additionally chambers are not cheap to run either, and if you need an extra 12 hours of decompression after a sat dive that will end up costing the company thousands + having to reschedule helicopter flights for everyone else because of your age.
    Find another job - hell yes! But not in commercial diving, and freelance diving for lost outboard motors off piers doesn't pay enough to keep food on the table.

I hate to be the evil person to bust your bubble, but that idea is not going to work out and will cost ~50K for the training that any commercial diving school will be happy to sell you, without any guarantee that you will ever make a nickel of it back.

Michael

RBW Member Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit & bits

inspo classic

I know guys who have had their 60th birthday in the bin. average age of north sea divers a few years ago was around 54 and each team goes in and out together.

the problem is the amount of stacked DSV's at the moment due to lack of work. if the oil price picked up and projects kicked off tomorrow nothing will be going on the seabed for at least a couple of years.

the other unpalatable truth is that nepotism is rife in the industry and if you don't know anyone you aren't going to get a chance. you'd need to spend 5 years or so working in hellholes for shit money before you'd stand a chance of working offshore in the north sea.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Why why why ????

In 99.9% of the cases you will be an underpaid, underwater navvy .... its just boring work in crap conditions for piss poor pay.

Yep you may make it onto a rig or a Sat Team on day but trust me at your age you won't last long. In C/diving all you have got to look forward to is pier and wharf work with the odd inspection job if your lucky.

Its a mugs game for most punters. .... regards Baz

RBW Member divemedic85 is an unknown quantity at this point divemedic85's Avatar
    rEvo3 Mini

i know this is an older post but i truly hope you decided on a different route besides commercial diving. This is a cut throat industry and work is still hard to come by as a industry in general. Yes there are some companies that stay busy those are normally either the small water tower inspection companies or small mom and pop cofferdam companies. It's a young man's game who has nothing to lose and can afford living off of ramen during slow times. However if you are stubborn and feel the calling of the sea like many of us do, you still end up sacrificing it all for the next dive being cold, miserable and exhausted. God bless the deep sea divers

Hi Everyone,

There is soon to be space available on a well established scalloping boat operating on the west coast of Scotland, please message me if you would like more information.

Experience in scalloping isn't necessary as you will get the wing of it quite quickly but you do require your own kit and to be a minimum certification of dive master with an in-date HSE medical. R Programming Online Training | SAS Online Training | Android Online Training | Weblogic Online Training | MongoDB Online Training | MongoDB Admin Online Training | SQL Online Training

+ Reply to Thread