+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ear clearing, not using hands

RBW Member Anthony Appleyard is an unknown quantity at this point Anthony Appleyard's Avatar

Ear clearing, not using hands

A controversy in a previous thread about fullface mask design, led me to ask: What proportion of divers can easily routinely clear their ears without pinching the nose with their hands?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasalis_muscle

I can clear my ears "no hands", by closing the nostrils by using the small muscles called "compressor naris" or "nasalis", described at this link.

RBW Member toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe's Avatar
    rEvo 111 hybrid

Vision Inspo,Evo+, classic

Re: Ear clearing, not using hands

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Appleyard  View Original Post
    A controversy in a previous thread about fullface mask design, led me to ask: What proportion of divers can easily routinely clear their ears without pinching the nose with their hands?

I can clear my ears "no hands", by closing the nostrils by using the small muscles called "compressor naris" or "nasalis", described at this link.
    Tongue to roof of mouth and swallow.
    Last edited by toe; 18th May 2015 at 08:10.

I can do it now just by thinking about it. But to be able to do that I had the pleasure of my frontal sinus canal being bored with an 8th inch drill bit.

Can't say I ever had much trouble with ears but on my first open water dive I thought my head was going to implode. Never had so much pain in my life. With bad buoyancy control I clawed my way back to the surface like a scolded cat.

Went to the doctor who said my sinus passages were completely blocked. A 1000 quid's worth of gear sitting in the corner for what became nearly a year before I could get back in the water.

I think the drill bit they used was too big coz the same day they let me out of hospital It haemorrhaged and then I had to have it cauterised to stop the bleeding which hurts more than head implosion. After that they would not let me out of hospital until it was nearly healed.

I was nearly ready to take up snooker instead. Stupid diving.. It's for fishes.

I always tell people now who take up diving that when they get a medical to make 100% sure their sinus passages are clear because I had no clues mine were blocked and don't remember being nasal checked either when I had my medical.
    Last edited by paulanthony; 15th June 2015 at 14:17.

RBW Member Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson will become famous soon enough Mike Ferguson's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit & bits

inspo classic

wiggle jaw. job done.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

I could do that once or twice. But I used FFMs in the aquarium for years and after a while you start to get tired and mine clear less and less easily. So at the end of a 2 hour dive in the aquarium going up and down 20 or 30 times between 0 and 7m my ears were pretty sore. I eventually quit this job because I got sick of using the FFMs for such an otherwise enjoyable dive (cleaning windows, catching fish for medical treatments etc).

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Wiggle jaws, that's it.

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Many people can't do this, but there are muscles on the Eustachian tubes near the ear drum that can open the tubes to equalize pressure. To me it feels like I'm using muscles just behind the ear lobes. There is a crackling sound as the muscles open the tubes.

If I don't have a cold or my ears are not inflamed from multi-day diving I can use these muscles at will to equalize.

I guess I use the "voluntary" technique described in the article below. It contains a diagram of the musculature. I think I am just consciously moving these muscles only, no jaw movement or swallowing is required. As the article says, practice (above the water) makes perfect.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...uidetoEars.pdf
    Last edited by 4ster; 18th June 2015 at 16:23.

+ Reply to Thread