Thread: The safest rebreather?

New Member foxgolf is an unknown quantity at this point foxgolf's Avatar

Question The safest rebreather?

Hi anyone,

Would you please explain which is the safest rebreather:
    Oxygen rebreather
    Semi closed rebreather
    Close circuit rebreather

Since I'm going to buy one of those for just recreational use.
    I really appreciate it

Thanks a lot

Custom Title Allowed! Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck will become famous soon enough Deepwreck's Avatar

Re: The safest rebreather?

Ha Ha Ha. Your question is funny. Do you think that any devise that allows you to breath your own exhailed air could ever be called safe?

Safety is the responsibility of the user. Any Rebreather is both safe and deadly in the hands of the right or wrong user.

An 02 rebreather will kill you just as fast as a SCR, and or a CCR. Each has pros, and cons. By far the most versitle is the CCR, a SCR will come with depth limits and orphis size limitations, a 02 rebreather is only good to 20 feet.

All are life support machines, and with care will provide hours of fun and enjoyment. and all are protential death machines ready to kill you if you don't understand and are able to deal with whatever they happen to through at you.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Some rebreathers have more redundancies and controls than others,
    some have ... ... questionable design features.
    In the end any rebreather is only as good or as safe as the diver using it.

RBW Member schwerve is an unknown quantity at this point schwerve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    some have ... ... questionable design features.
    Could you elaborate on this, or point me to previous threads where you did so?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by schwerve
    Could you elaborate on this, or point me to previous threads where you did so?
    Lack of independent pO2 monitor - AP
    Lack of any secondary display - CCR2000
    Batteries in the loop - AP, ISC
    Solenoid in the loop - AP, ISC, DR
    SS piping for O2 inside the loop - ISC
    Manual O2 injection into inhale counterlung - ISC
    Tanks on the "wrong" side - SMI
    Lack of any pO2 monitor - every SCR !

Those are some I've questioned in the past.
    Plenty more, just spend some time reading old forum threads.

RBW Member trash is an unknown quantity at this point trash's Avatar

Like my instructor said to me:
    These things can and do kill people.
    (I'm not sure if he was talking about a car or a rebreather at the time)

He did however also point out that the most important part of a rebreather is "the diver". The diver not only powers the rebreather, the diver's software (his brain) is what makes it operate correctly and safely. When the brain is not programed correctly or is malfunctioning for whatever reason, the rebreather tends to reject the brain attached to it.

RBW Member 15xWorldChampion is an unknown quantity at this point 15xWorldChampion's Avatar
    ccr2000, Submatix CCR etc

some really old O2 ccr's

AURA CCR 2000 is a pretty safe bet....providing you survive the teething problems of being a newbie rebreather diver!

Troy R. Legner tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

For "recreational" rebreather diving I would say the Drager Dolphin SCR is the best choice. It pretty much flys on auto pilot, not complicated, compact and reasonable in price to buy. "good deals show up quite often" It has a wide safety margin by design when used as directed by Drager.
    It does not come stock with O2 monitoring but options are alway available.
    This unit can be dived with just a good grasp on using nitrox. Dives are planned just like OC diving only with a richer percentage of nitrox.
    If you have any notions to do more advanced dives then look into other types.

See ya,
    Troy

Troy R. Legner tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Did not notice this posting was 4 years old.

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

I dive the best machine of all, a SEM (Self Euthanasia Machine) disguised as a MCCR. I recognize its purpose and try my best to avoid it fulfilling its mission.

The point is there is no best, though there may arguably be some worst machines. No panacea available, and as long as humans are in control, there will always be unforeseen things happen.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast