+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tec/Cave backup light - Ikelite Gamma, a good alternative?

RBW Member Yeates is an unknown quantity at this point Yeates's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Tec/Cave backup light - Ikelite Gamma, a good alternative?

Being a deep Cave diver, having reliable backup lights have saved the day for me on more than one occasion. Needless to say, I have placed my trust in a set of Halcyon Scout backup lights which have served me extremely well over the last 7 years.

Alas, I have now lost one to the depths (because I dropped it) and I am in dire need of a suitable replacement. So, why not replace it with the same model? Perhaps the explorer in me feels the need to try something new ? Or perhaps I could find a suitable (cheaper) alternative which also addressed some of the issues I had with the Halcyon lights, but learned to live with it.

For the purposes of this post, I summarize these issues briefly below:

My Halcyon backup lights were the only parts of essential diving equipment which required C type battery cells. My inspiration takes CR123a batteries, my camping headlight (Fenix HP12) takes CR123a batteries and my diving computers are rechargeable (brand irrelevant as is concerns the battery type). So I decided to consolidate all of my diving equipment, as far a possible, to CR123a batteries. As they say, buy bulk and save. Also, the advantages are self explanatory on the day you discover you need to replace backup light batteries and all you have are a bunch of CR123a lying around for your rebreather.

Secondly, the Halcyon lights had a nasty propensity to switch on at depth. I found that around the 60 to 70 meter mark, the light would turn on. Probably my own fault for not 'unscrewing' the light head enough, however one tends to turn the light head to just under the switch on position in order to prevent flooding.

These are not major issues. The Halcyon lights are awesome. Make no mistake. Reliable, solid construction and easily recoverable in the event of a flood.

After a lot of thinking, I decided that I wanted a backup light which meets the following criteria -
    LED
    Good build quality
    Tight beam
    Good beam luminosity
    CR123a battery compatible
    Acceptable burn time
    Depth rated to at least 120meters
    On/ off switch which was not influenced by water pressure

My search led me to the Ikelite Gamma.

The Ikelite Gamma seems to tick all of these requirements. 220 lumen 10 degree beam, runs on 2 CR123a batteries and is depth rated to 122 meters. It's has a natural white LED light and works with a mechanical switch. Built and tested in the USA. The Gamma comes in silver, black and red aircraft grade aluminum casings. I opted for the red, only because it makes the torch easier to find on land and to pick out amongst various other pieces of diving paraphernalia.

Even though you can get brighter lights, Ikelite markets a 10 hour burn time on full power. This burn time is impressive when compared to other backup lights even with a slightly brighter beam.

For anyone interested and who is actually reading this post, I will write a short review on the Gamma once 'field tested' in a real world environment and at a depth of at least 100meters.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Tec/Cave backup light - Ikelite Gamma, a good alternative?

2 watt light monkey

RBW Member Baden Paddy is an unknown quantity at this point Baden Paddy's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Hi Michael,
    have you ever heard of:
    https://heser-backup.de/backup_en.html
    http://www.tillytec.de/index.php/en/...sters/mpl.html
    Very reliable backups, I dive them for years now without any issue.
    And no, I am not a dealer, just a satisfied customer.
    If you are interested contact me on facebook.

Cheers...
    Paddy

RBW Member Yeates is an unknown quantity at this point Yeates's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Hi Paddy, thank you for your input and willingness to help! Really appreciate it. The Tilly Tec option peaked my interest and I checked it out on the web. Really looks like a great option! I will look into it further

Will you be coming to South Africa some time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member Baden Paddy is an unknown quantity at this point Baden Paddy's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

I will be in Germany from 13.05 to 19.05 and then I will come back to South Africa.
    If you like to have a Tilly backup Ican bring it over and send it to you, or we met at Komati.

You can also contact me on Facebook !
    Cheers...

+ Reply to Thread