+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cocos Island April 2015 Aboard the Undersea Hunter Argo

Havin Fun Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C's Avatar
    rEvo III micro RMS

rEvo III mini, Optima

Cocos Island April 2015 Aboard the Undersea Hunter Argo

Just returned from 2 weeks in Costa Rica with 10 days of those being aboard the Undersea Hunter Argo. I'll be posting a more specific write-up of the trip sharing more of our adventures and pictures.
    In the meantime, wanted to share a little video shot by Eric and I of our time on the Argo and a bit of the diving. Hope you enjoy! We certainly did. Can't tell you how amazing this adventure was!

Don't want to spoil it but guess which one of us was behind the bird and got a little messy?

Kristi Cunningham

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Cocos Island April 2015 Aboard the Undersea Hunter Argo

Thank you Kristi! I am sitting here at work and looking at this video will make my day go so much better!!! Can't wait until next year:)

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

Love Cocos...

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

I am going in June looking forward to more video and input about your trip....

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Looks like you guys had a nice trip.

Thanks for posting the video, Nice!

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member frankymar is an unknown quantity at this point frankymar's Avatar
    rEvoIII CE h(e)CCR Rms

rEvoIII CE hybrid eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by silentscuba  View Original Post
    I am going in June looking forward to more video and input about your trip....
    See you there Curt

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

Add Helium is returning to Coco's again! April 9-19, 2016. Only three spaces left and going fast! Contact Add Helium directly for further information.

Havin Fun Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C will become famous soon enough Kristi C's Avatar
    rEvo III micro RMS

rEvo III mini, Optima

Still working on photos and trip report. Will be posted this weekend.

Short video here of the DeepSee submersible to 300m that Eric and I did Monday afternoon (1st day we arrived) in Cocos from the Argo. It's quite the experience taking the sub ride and our pilot was extremely knowledgeable which made it even better.

She said we'd turn blue as we descended so we had to get that on the video too. The whole experience was very cool. Enjoy!
    Kristi Cunningham

rEvo III micro RMS

rEvo III mini, Optima

Re: Cocos Island April 2015 Aboard the Undersea Hunter Argo (Write-Up and Photos)

Cocos Island April 2015 adventure begins as we arrive at the Gran de Oro hotel in Costa Rica on Thursday afternoon 4/2.

DSC02859.jpg

After checking in, Eric and I head out for a walk through the central market area. The hotel staff told us that a lot was closed due to the holiday but didnít realize that basically everything shuts-down in the area for the Easter holiday. It seems it is a time for folks to head out of the area to the beach. It was a nice walk but really wasnít much to visit.
    We had dinner that evening at the hotel and were joined by Peter Sotis, Claudia Rousso,s and Jess Stark. Open courtyard restaurant had a nice atmosphere and good food.
    Friday 4/3 was a day to tour Costa Rica. With the help again of the hotel staff, Eric and I booked an all-day combo tour of Costa Rica. We left Friday morning at 6:30am and returned around 6:30pm. We visited a coffee plantation, the Paos volcano, and waterfalls.
    DSC02689.jpgDSC02681.jpgDSC02736.jpgDSC02823.jpg
    DSC02842.jpg

Friday evening was dinner at the hotel restaurant. Remember not much else was openedJ Tonights dinner included all of us from Thursday night and were joined by Pat and Vince George from Canada. This would be the CCR dive group while in Cocos. 3 additional folks were not able to make the trip.
    NOTE: if you are considering this trip, it is a good idea to come in a day or so early. If nothing else, it gives time for your luggage to arrive if there is any trouble with the airlines. We did have one couple that the shuttle picked up where their luggage was delayed so was starting the trip with what they had on their backs!

Saturday morning was the pickup by the Undersea Hunter group to take the trip to Puntarenas where the Argo is docked.

DSC02861.jpgDSC02865.jpg

Very nice bus trip with nice scenery and a nice stop at a duty free area where you could grab some lunch as well as pick up some items (wine, alcohol, or other snacks) you may want to take onboard the Argo. We arrived at the dock and begin unpacking all our gear and clothing around 2:30pm. Eric and I had cabin #7 on the upper deck. Itís a very nice room with plenty of storage and desk space for things.

Within ~1 hour, the Argo began the journey to Cocos Island.

Sunday morning woke up to a beautiful sunrise and calm seas. Checking out the sundeck we discovered a stow-away. He seemed to have a hurt leg but was enjoying the ride.
    DSC02912.jpg

Monday morning we awoke at Cocos Island. Up on the deck in time to see the moon setting and the sun rising. What an amazing view! Wish I had this view every morning I now.

DSC02927.jpg DSC02947.jpg

Monday morning the crew worked to launch the skiffs and the tow boat for the submarine. Our schedule on this day was a little later to allow time for this. Our first dive was ~9am and I had my first introduction to the white tip shark
    DSC02980.jpg

2nd morning dive Eric and I missed in order to go in the submarine DeepSee to 300m (1000ft). See video in this thread for a glimpse of our experience. Itís hard to describe it in words. Definitely something to experience at least once in a lifetime.
    Afternoon dive was at 3:00pm.

Tuesday 4/7 Ė Sun 4/12 the dive times were fairly consistent. 2 morning dives 8:00 and 11:00 then an afternoon dive at 3:00. Between the morning dives, the first couple of days we returned to the Argo but then everyone determined no need so we were allowed to do our 2 morning dives without returning to the Argo. All depended on whether someone needed something or not and if we received approval from Captain and the rangers for the next dive. A few shots from our dive days:
    DSC03069.jpg DSC03098.jpg DSC03128.jpg DSC03140.jpg DSC03142.jpg DSC03161.jpg
    DSC03194.jpgDSC03248.jpg DSC03285.jpg
    DSC03316.jpg DSC03320.jpg DSC03335.jpg
    DSC03339.jpg

On Thursday, they offered an opportunity to visit Cocos Island vs going on the afternoon dive. We decided to check the island instead of the dive. Great views from hiking up the trail.
    The blue one here is a private yacht next to the UnderSea Hunter Sea Hunter. The private yacht is 302ft and has a pool on the deck! For comparison the Argo is 140ft vessel.

DSC03381.jpg
    Here's the Argo in the Cove. View from ~3/4 up the island.
    DSC03397.jpg

Friday evening the Argo hosted a wine and cheese evening before dinner on the sundeck. It was nice to unwind on the deck with the crew and divers while watching another beautiful sunset.
    IMG_1112.jpg

The group on the Argo was split nicely so we were able to have 1 skiff dedicated to CCR divers and the other to open circuit divers. Roy was our skiff captain and Federico was our dive guide everyday. They both were great! Very helpful, friendly, and shared information about the area.

Our dives, always gave us the opportunities to see lots of marine life. Throughout the week we saw numerous Hammerheads, Galapagos sharks, and much more. A few shots of what we saw and the CCR dive groupÖ
    DSC03478.jpg DSC03485.jpg DSC03549.jpg DSC03594.jpg DSC03670.jpg DSC03695.jpg

Food was amazing and very plentiful aboard the Argo. Breakfast each morning included cook to order eggs. Often there were also pancakes or French toast. There was always toast, cereal, cheese, and fruit available.

Lunch and dinner were both buffet style with wonderfully prepared dishes of various options. Between each dive there were snacks of fruit and some sandwich or pastry available for everyone. Water, soda, juices, tea, and beer were plentiful as well. Wine was available for purchase. Of course once you started drinking alcohol you were done with your diving for the day.

Dive sites we visited throughout the weekend include (I'm sure I missed some):
    Punta Maria
    Dirty Rock
    Isla Pajara (Pajara Island)
    Submerged Rock
    Viking Rock
    Alcyone
    Big Dos Amigos
    Manuelita Outside
    Manuelita Channel

We re-visited several of the sites where we had lots of luck seeing sharks!

Several nights during the week, there was also the opportunity to take a night dive. Only 1 skiff boat went out for a night dive on the given days. We had 2 opportunities for our skiff. It was a cool experience. In addition to the Whitetip sharks, we had 1 Galapagos shark cruise by us for the night dive.

Our last dive day, Sunday 4/12, was a full dive day: 2 morning dives and an afternoon one. After this last dive, everyone started cleaning gear and the crew began loading all the equipment and skiffs. ~7:30pm as we were having dinner, the Argo started the trip back to Puntarenas. We had to say goodbye to Cocos Island
    IMG_1105.jpg

Tuesday morning 4/14, we woke to see Costa Rica coming into view. It was another amazing sunrise as we came into site of land.
    DSC03747.jpg DSC03786.jpg

The Argo needed to anchor out from the dock due to the tide. The loading of the shuttle boat began along with us saying our good-byes
    DSC03794.jpg DSC03796.jpg
    We are all a little sad and quiet as we head back to reality!
    DSC03816.jpg

The Argo is awesome and the crew we had were amazing! I highly recommend this trip. We had terrific weather and calm seas the entire trip and left with new friends from all around the world.

DSC03800.jpg
    Kristi Cunningham

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Hey Kristi,

Thank you so much! Reading your trip report and looking at pictures gave me a much welcomed deja vu for a Monday morning!

Can't wait until next year on the Undersea Hunter!

Claudia

+ Reply to Thread