+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mp4 home build

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

mp4 home build

Hi all,
    Not quite a true home build issue but have any of you guy's and girls made a diy media player? Would be nice to catch up on a few rounds of the motogp or watch jaws while on Deco.
    Its quite hard these days to find something without a touch screen!
    Not a fan of "the fruit based" products that fit the idive300's.
    So if anyone has/uses something please could they put up a couple of PIC or explain how they made the headphones etc.
    Regards
    Baz.

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Re: mp4 home build

Hey,

I've put some thought into an mp3 player, but haven't yet had the time to build it (primarily due to the fact that I still have working iDive300). I'd prefer video solution but the components below made audio solution seem pretty easy.

Basis for the build:

- House an MP3 Decoder, something like - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TF-Card-U...wAAOSwq5pXPty3. Control it via 3 normally open switches for Play/Stop (1), Back/Volume Down (2), Next/VolumeUp (3). My thoughts were 3 x piezo buttons in end of cylinder canister.
    - DIY Headphones x 2, following iDive300 headphone design, which are basically delrin housing containing 20mm/1W speaker as audio source. Sound waves are emitted through a stainless grill, sealed from water by clear plastic sheet (0.2mm, so basically same as 200micron laminate sheet). The plastic sheet backed by the stainless mesh handles the inward pressure, whilst still being outwardly pliable by sound waves (so simple it's stupid).
    - Audio signal to headphone via standard cabling/glands from standard 3.5mm audio jack on board. Could also be amplified quite easily but doubt it's necessary from what I could see on bench tests.

I've successfully tested this mp3 module in concept (ie. bench tested switching with piezo buttons, power 1w speakers), but never got around to completing a prototype speaker.

I did start built on a speaker housing, stainless mesh (lifted from dead iDive300), and got some 200micro laminate sheet. I sandwiched the laminate and oring, but never got it to seal as my oring groove cutting tool was blunt and didn't do a great job. In concept I'm confident this will work though, based on iDive300 capabilities.

Hope that's some food for thought anyway.

Regards, Damien
    http://damiensiviero.com

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Avoiding touch screen, I have a few ideas, it's late at night, I should probably be sleeping right now...

But my thought to get around this is to find something with a remote control. Remotes are still button based. If you can get a system that can work completely on remote you should be able to bypass any touch screen functions. Adds a bit of complexity having a built in remote. If you wanted to get a bit creative try setting up an Arduino to sequence all the needed button presses.

And my other wandering thoughts... How hard would it be to display a little video in the corner of a NERD? I need to quit now.

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Hey,

My thoughts for a video solution was always around a custom video player build on Raspberry PI or similar. By doing this you'd get full control, and it would manage future proofing risk. Any effort to build a decent housing should be done around relatively stable components.

Basis for solution:

- Raspberry PI /w 4-5" Display
    - Omxplayer controlled via GPIO + Custom Software
    - Custom Housing /w Control via Piezo Buttons (4-5 buttons I presume)
    - Speakers as per iDive300 design pattern

I expect the housing will be the biggest effort of all, followed by speakers, then GPIO control program.

As an example of capability, see https://www.hackster.io/ThothLoki/pl...nd-gpio-a30c7a

Regards, Damien
    http://damiensiviero.com

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Hi Damien,
    Thanks for picking up on this, OP was a bit of a while ago, I have designed a housing for a PlayStation portable you can fill them with music/films and using button design similar to the idive should get 90% of contol. i like the idea of the arduino/pi solution as could probably make it more like a dive computer with headphones? Would be good to possibly have them on a mini wet plug too?
    Now i just need time! Lol.
    Keep us posted if you make any progressed.
    Last edited by turtle dude; 29th November 2016 at 20:16. Reason: spelt ur name wrong soz

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

How about looking for an old camera housing with a good sized viewing port as a pre-made housing?

+ Reply to Thread