+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any reason not to buy a Sidekick?

RBW Member Danseur is an unknown quantity at this point Danseur's Avatar

Any reason not to buy a Sidekick?

I'm looking to finally buy my first rebreather. I'm down with mCCR, prefer to stay with sidemount, and there is a lot I like about the Sidekick. The lack of 2nd hand units in the marketplace is seemingly telling.

So, are there any serious concerns or pitfalls I need to be aware of? Long lead times for delivery seem the worst of it currently.

I'm also not very tall at about 5'9", so the length of the competition is on the edge of a problem for me.

RBW Member Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S is on a distinguished road Paul S's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini hCCR

Re: Any reason not to buy a Sidekick?

Quote Originally Posted by Danseur  View Original Post
    The lack of 2nd hand units in the marketplace is seemingly telling.
    I find the Sidekick interesting too, but I think you're seeing what you want to see with that statement. It could also be because the unit hasn't been on the market that long, or because not many have been sold.

Not trying to be negative, just saying there could be many reasons that observation is true.

RBW Member Danseur is an unknown quantity at this point Danseur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S  View Original Post
    I find the Sidekick interesting too, but I think you're seeing what you want to see with that statement. It could also be because the unit hasn't been on the market that long, or because not many have been sold.

Not trying to be negative, just saying there could be many reasons that observation is true.
    That has certainly crossed my mind...

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

The SK is a good solid sidemount RB. I dove one as a BOB for awhile. The only negatives I had was they are very trim sensitive and you'll want better filter screens. I used the screens from a Meg, and they worked very well.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    The SK is a good solid sidemount RB. I dove one as a BOB for awhile. The only negatives I had was they are very trim sensitive and you'll want better filter screens. I used the screens from a Meg, and they worked very well.
    Screens for the sorb, or sintered screens for the O2 injection?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I only started getting interested in a Sidekick a few hours ago.

Michael

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Side mount Rebreathers are something you progress to after "mastering" conventional Rebreathers. I'd get a second hand stock unit to start with

Cam

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

For the sorb .

I wound up getting filter screens for a meg that worked much better.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by cameron  View Original Post
    Side mount Rebreathers are something you progress to after "mastering" conventional Rebreathers. I'd get a second hand stock unit to start with

Cam
    why? Legit question. Aside from being more sensitive to trim and more difficult to purge water, I'm curious what the reason for that statement is

Meg

KISS

Side mount Rebreathers are something you progress to after "mastering" conventional Rebreathers.
    Cam
    I'm also curious why you'd say that.

The only difference I see is where the breather mounts.
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 18th September 2015 at 16:30.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Cam
    I have aready been using my SF-2 since Dec and will do my hundredth TMX dive on it this weekend, (doesn't mean a hell of a lot since the WOB of a SF-2 is never really good, but with 35-60% Helium it no longer is bothersome, except in vertical orientations. so far the only air dive with my SF-2 was the first one.)
    I dedicated this year to learning how to use a RB properly.
    Since the only way I can extend my range in caves is to have a BOB along (5 stages for OC Bailout and 2 scooters is becoming uncomfortable at my age). I had been planning to put a heavyily modded SF-2 sidemount together to go along with my current SF-2.
    Unfortunatly another bad experience with the manufacturer of the SF-2 has caused me to change my plans - no more SF-2 or any other products from ScubaForce/dive2gether.net ever again.
    I dove the Divesoft Liberty back in March and was very impressed, so I'll end up buying one when I sell my SF-2. I'll still need a BOB though and I'm looking and trying to make a decision which one would handle the necessary mods best. The sidekick is the cheapest of the bunch, and I haven't ever heard of a kiss diver having to stay on the boat because his RB crapped out while everybody else went diving in the last 14 years that I have had buddies diving various kisses.
    In order to mount my 2 1.5L 300Bar composite cylinders in one row lengthwise on a sidekick, I'll have to add a kevlar extension about 85mm long to the bottom of the outer tube.
    I don't think that I would have a similar problem with the GG Flex but it's at least twice as expensive although being eccr easier to handle when I have to bailout from my backmounted RB.
    The less I have to think about after the sh*t has hit the fan the easier my return will be.
    The learning curve on a Flex might also be steep since I know no one local/semilocal who can teach me the things I need to know about it.
    So It'll probably boil down to a sidekick and modifying the hell out of it (DS4 with heavier spring and sealing plate running around 17-18Bar, 0.0025 oriface, manual adds that won't crap out at that high an IP, my carbonfibre minitanks mounted on top of the tube and extremely clean hose/V4a pipe routing, GG sidemount DSV, 16" Cooper hoses, my spare Petrel 2 on a shorter cable and unfortunatly having to make a outertube extension 85mm longer to protect the tanks) for the kind of support I want.

Michael
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 18th September 2015 at 20:49.

+ Reply to Thread