+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: blending

  1. #1

    blending

    Hey guys,

    Anyone ever put flashback arrestor onto the oxygen supply for boosting O2?

    just wondering if people are doing this --- any issues with doing so --- or if its just seen as not necessary ie have your gear in order and ... etc etc

    it would give some sense of safety...
    Interested to know what ye think

    cheers,

  2. #2
    RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    331
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

    AH1

    Re: blending

    Quote Originally Posted by sisco  View Original Post
    Hey guys,

    Anyone ever put flashback arrestor onto the oxygen supply for boosting O2?

    just wondering if people are doing this --- any issues with doing so --- or if its just seen as not necessary ie have your gear in order and ... etc etc

    it would give some sense of safety...
    Interested to know what ye think

    cheers,

    Do flashback arrestors exist for 300bar service? That's why none of us have them / use them.

    Michael

  3. #3

    Re: blending

    Hi Michael,

    Thanks a lot for the reply,
    The arrestor goes after the second stage and typical ones are 15bar with a quick search slowing linde one up to 30bar - so no problem on pressure ratings that i can see

    correct me if im wrong etc..........

    Would love to hear more comments on this.

    cheers,

  4. #4
    RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    179
    rEvo iii

    Re: blending

    I put one on my reg on the O2 supply for nitrox blending, curious as to why you would need one for boosting though.
    Rgds
    Cathal

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deerfield_Beach, Florida
    Posts
    4,025
    rEvo

    Defender Optima Dolphin

    Re: blending

    Just a thought.............

    If you are boosting and the boost pressure is higher than the flash arrester is rated for, a flash fire happens anywhere upstream of the booster and chances are good that it will burn out the high pressure side of the booster and allow full pressure back to the arrestor. In turn burning it out and continueing to the supply cylinder.

    I would be much more concerned with keeping the temperature low and the boost speed slow to prevent any flash fires in the first place. Keeping things clean is a big benefit too.
    .
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing





    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

  6. #6

    Re: blending

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just a thought.............

    If you are boosting and the boost pressure is higher than the flash arrester is rated for, a flash fire happens anywhere upstream of the booster and chances are good that it will burn out the high pressure side of the booster and allow full pressure back to the arrestor. In turn burning it out and continueing to the supply cylinder.

    I would be much more concerned with keeping the temperature low and the boost speed slow to prevent any flash fires in the first place. Keeping things clean is a big benefit too.
    Hey Dsix,

    thanks for the reply and great point -- however, if the flame occurs on the high pressure side bursting through all of the non-return valves (and whatever else is contained within the booster) and making its way back to the arrester ---- surely the pressure would be dissipated i.e. flame could make it to arrestor but with pressure low due to the damage/leaks already caused in the line

    cb1 great to hear someone is using one without issue, I think i may put one on as they are relatively cheap

    thanks a lot,

  7. #7
    RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    179
    rEvo iii

    Re: blending

    I tend to focus all my effort on prevention when it comes to dealing with the risk of O2 fires anyway, by the time an arrestor is called on to work it's probably too late.

  8. #8
    RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    331
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

    AH1

    Re: blending

    usually when the supply O2 cylinder gets down to 15 or 30 bar, it isn't worth the effort of boosting it. You end up spending a lot of time and booster cycles getting the last few bar out of a supply cylinder. I think that you will be wasting your time and money, and wearing out your booster, if you have to drop your supply gas pressure to below 30 bar.

    Michael

  9. #9

    Re: blending

    Quote Originally Posted by sisco  View Original Post
    Hey Dsix,

    thanks for the reply and great point -- however, if the flame occurs on the high pressure side bursting through all of the non-return valves (and whatever else is contained within the booster) and making its way back to the arrester ---- surely the pressure would be dissipated i.e. flame could make it to arrestor but with pressure low due to the damage/leaks already caused in the line

    cb1 great to hear someone is using one without issue, I think i may put one on as they are relatively cheap

    thanks a lot,
    I ended up getting reg with arrestor on output line and with an APD over pressure valve (set to 14bar) on the line immediately after.
    I think this is a good isolator and adds safety -- doesnt mean I'll become lazy on the maintenance side.

    thanks for all the comments,

    ps - michael, gas supply is 200 -reg drops it down to 12 or so for booster supply

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts