+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tec/wreck/cave on CCR in Cuba ???

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Tec/wreck/cave on CCR in Cuba ???

Guys .... first post of a useful series I hope.

We are looking for a new wreck/cave diving destination and Cuba popped up.

I would like to bring around 10 experienced CCR divers to Cuba and have no clues how we should go about this - hence this first post.

So its early days and we don't know when to go or where to go once in Cuba - what has Cuba got to offer a bunch of keen Australians ??

Live aboard or hotel or camp site we don't really care so long as we can get O2 and sorb there or shipped in.

regards Baz

RBW Member mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik is a jewel in the rough mik's Avatar

Re: Tec/wreck/cave on CCR in Cuba ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    or camp site we don't really care

Let's not set our sights too low

RBW Member carlosfredericobastos is an unknown quantity at this point carlosfredericobastos's Avatar
    REVO III mini Hybrid

my son and i have lived and dived our ccr in cuba. you need to bring EVERYTHING with you. tanks, sorb, booster , since you wont find any of it there. afaik, shipping to cuba is not possible...do not forget that cuba is still under us embargo!!!

in jardines de la reina, best diving in the WHOLE atlantic from north to south, . you can try and talk with luisa sacerdote (luisa.sacerdote@cubandivingcenters.com). they have 50 liter O2 tanks, but you need a booster.

cayo largo is a problem, since you have to fly and there is no O2 on the cayo. otherwise, try maria la gorda ( very nice shore diving on deep walls) or praya giron for deep walls.

sorting out O2 and trimix all by yourself in cuba is a problem, if you have no contacts in havana.....

the thing is: there is a diving (including a OC tech diving) comunity in Cuba, but all the gases need to be purchased "unofficially", which means that you need to know the people well to get the gases, otherwise they do not trust you and you get nothing.

i sent a buddy in havana a private email . if he allows me, i can send his contact. it may take a while to get a reply, since internet in cuba is...well, slow.

like i said, the embargo makes things a lot difficult for ordinary cubans, specially such exotic goods and He or O2
    regards, fred

RBW Member carlosfredericobastos is an unknown quantity at this point carlosfredericobastos's Avatar
    REVO III mini Hybrid

and let me know if the the guys in jardines de la reina allow you to travel there on CCR,

my advice: talk to the people DIRECTLY in the Havana Avalon Office to get things organized for the CCR trip (O2 basically). DO NOT rely on any dive trip agent in europe to do it, otherwise you might be unpleasently surprised when you get there

I have wanted to go on a trip with M/V spree for a while.
    They offer technical trips to the Blue Holes and South Florida wrecks.

Here is the link: http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/bahamas/bahamasCsB.aspx

You should go! Let me know how good it was and what needs to be fixed/improved on and then I can go on an even better trip.

John

REVO III mini Hybrid

i have been to cay sal with the aquacat, I think the boat caught fire sometime ago, really great diving...but it is by far no match to jardines.

i was watching tv yesterday and it seem that traveling to cuba is no longer a problem.

if you take sorb, booster and onboard cylinders (just remove the valves so that the security staff in havana can verify that it is not pressurized) in your luggage, it wont be a problem with cuban customs, as long as you can prove that you are really a diver (just take the ccr diving card). the guys are nice and they wont spoil your vacation, since tourists are more than welcome to spend their money in cuba. the only hurdle you would have to overcome is the green light from avalon to take your ccr to the jardines.

REVO III mini Hybrid

and it would be a shame to miss havana, one of the greatest and most beautiful cities in latin america ,only second to Rio de Janeiro

RBW Member Todd V is an unknown quantity at this point Todd V's Avatar
    AP Evolution

hmmm.... might be less painful to just do Cuba on OC... I read a post a while back where some poor guy had his unit confiscated at customs as he entered the country. They deemed it military equipment and it was never seen again...
    I love Cuba and diving there kicks ass but i personally don't like the risk or hassle on CC.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Quote Originally Posted by jstrang  View Original Post
    I have wanted to go on a trip with M/V spree for a while.
    They offer technical trips to the Blue Holes and South Florida wrecks.

Here is the link: http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/bahamas/bahamasCsB.aspx

You should go! Let me know how good it was and what needs to be fixed/improved on and then I can go on an even better trip.

John
    The guy does not want to touch Cuba. The boat is a bit basic as well but, would have been fine if he would go there. He won't so not an issue.

regards Baz

REVO III mini Hybrid

i had a few buddies over at my home while i lived in havana and none of them had any issues, be it with the ccr, the tanks or the sorb. that is new to me.

but i agree that ccr diving in cuba is not as easy as in the usa or red sea.

+ Reply to Thread