+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mixed Marriage

RBW Member oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya's Avatar
    Meg Apecs

KISS Classic

Mixed Marriage

Two diver cave team. One CC. One OC. What are your gas planning protocols?

OC diver carrying their own bailout? OC buddy ultra-padding their gas requirements (Diving 95s as if they were 85s or the like)? If OC is OOG they'd breath your bailout?

It's going to be a while before my buddy (OK, my wife) goes CC. I know which way I'm leaning... I'm just curious about what's being done out there.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: Mixed Marriage

Each diver carries enough gas to get themselves and their buddy safely back from the dive.
    You don't have to plan on your buddy being out of gas AND yor rebreather failing at the same time, but each of you has to carry enough gas to get an OC buddy out safely.

Michael

RBW Member tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris's Avatar
    Evolution, Side-mount Meg

Meg

Mixed Marriage

IANTD teaches that the team carry 1 1/2 times the gas needed for one person to safely exit.

Opinions vary on Team vs Individual bailout..

TF

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist
    Last edited by tflaris; 6th March 2015 at 13:41.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    Each diver carries enough gas to get themselves and their buddy safely back from the dive.
    You don't have to plan on your buddy being out of gas AND yor rebreather failing at the same time, but each of you has to carry enough gas to get an OC buddy out safely.

Michael
    This is what I do. Having the CCR fail on a dive and my OC buddy out of gas both at the same time is "two majors" and we don't plan for that much going wrong at once. 1/3rds or less for the OC diver and my bailout is enough for me or enough for their catastrophic OOG failure and some delay too. Its not enough for 2 divers to exit or ascend to deco gas on a wreck dive with both of us on my bailout however.

RBW Member Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry's Avatar
    rEvo,Vision,KISS,Poseidon

Mixed team CCR with OC diver/s.

The CCR diver carry’s enough B/O gas +½ for themselves all the way out from the deepest planned penetration, including deco gases.

If the CCR diver is using off board diluent as many of us do in coldwater caves, the off board diluent/BO tank should also have a 7ft/210cm long hose to provide assistance to an OOG O/C diver in a restricted space.

The other B/O tanks carried by the CCR diver can be passed to the OC OOG diver if needed. No need for a long hose on all your B/O tanks.

If the CCR diver is carrying enough gas to get him/ her out, than they also should have enough gas to get an O/C OOG diver all the way out. This also includes any deco obligation that divers will have.

I train and practice this scenario often with my wife(CCR diver) and others(O/C divers) in our diving team and it seems to be the best procedure.

The only thing I can add is to develop a plan and procedures that work for the team and practice them as much as possible.

For the OC diver this is really important that they know and understand procedures what to do in the case of a catastrophic gas loss. The OC diver also needs to know how to help and support a CCR emergency in a cave.

+ Reply to Thread