+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A list of stupid questions

RBW Member OutOfTest is an unknown quantity at this point OutOfTest's Avatar
    None

A list of stupid questions

So I'm new to rebreathers, never having actually dived one :P

I'm toying with the idea of making a sidemount system, but thinking it may be a good idea to buy a proper unit and get some training before I do this.

So obviously, I need a "real" unit to get training.

I'm toying between two, the Meg and the KISS.

Meg:
    + Electronics, could these reduce task loading?
    + Can be converted to sidemount
    + Radial scrubbers, I like the idea of radial scrubbers
    + OTS counterlungs, less WOB
    - I don't really trust electronics
    - over the shoulder/on the shoulder counter lungs, I prefer streamlined designs
    - Expensive
    - Little data I have found on it so far
    - I have no idea how the electronics work really

KISS:
    + manual, I prefer the idea of KNOWING I have to constantly keep on top of my gas addition.
    + BM Counterlungs (streamlined)
    + Cheaper
    + I've found tonnes of data on the unit
    + I fully understand the unit.
    - Manual, I don't actually know how much this will increase my task loading
    - BM counterlungs, I'm unsure how much this will affect WOB in reality
    - Axial scrubber
    - Cannot be converted to sidemount

Anybody care to chip in on my perceptions so far? Or rip them to shreds?

Ash

PS: Should state, currently, I'm leaning way way way over to the KISS.

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: A list of stupid questions

I bought a KISS a couple of years back having never dived one before hand.
    I had a go on an Inspiration and a rEvo in a pool and from that I knew I wanted
    rear mounted counterlungs.
    I then dived with a lad that had a KISS and I liked its simplicity, at this time I was
    doing quite a bit of OC trimix and wanted to cut my gas bill.
    I seen a KISS for sale and at the price I knew I could sell it if it wasn't for me.
    I had seen so many people missing dives because of problems with there units
    I just didn't know if I'd be comfortable on a CCR.
    I spent days stripping and building the unit, while waiting for new cells to come,
    so I got a good idea of how it all worked. Next I took it on a couple of shallow
    quarry dives in the company of another CCR diver. It is such a simple unit to dive
    that I knew it was a keeper
    I have since done the training and loved every moment spent on the unit.
    I'd say that a MCCR is suited to me as it makes me check things that all CCR
    divers should be checking anyway, I could be a control freak but I love knowing
    what the unit is doing at all stages.

p.s. Number of dives missed on the KISS = 0
    Last edited by Capt Morgan; 2nd March 2015 at 21:20.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

If your intention is to roll your own, treat the commercial unit as a "hire".

Which will return the highest proportion of initial spend when you sell it on, and how easy will it be to move along?

Which is easiest/cheapest to get decent local training for? A unit that costs $1000 less may end up being more expensive if you have to include flights and a week's accommodation to do a course.

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

Kiss Sport, DiveRite O2ptima

First, Kiss has a unit that is designed as a sidemount. If you absolutely want a sidemount, problem solved!!

I really like my Kiss. Mine can't go sidemount, but I'm 110% OK with that.

None

The sidekick KISS is very interesting. I'm not sure it's entirely suitable for my long term goals though and I do prefer diving back mount when I can.

The sidemount factor is unfortunately essential for the type of diving I do. Before committing to something like the sidekick, I'd need to see one in person to see how tough it is/how well it handles nasty/gritty caves.

I realise all rebreathers won't like nasty/gritty caves, but I could make a sidemount one that breaks in two and screws up entirely to make it smaller and get less ingress of crap into it. I don't know if the sidekick would allow this.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Take a look at the SF2

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    Take a look at the SF2
    I love mine. But use CD grade Sofnolime instead of the usual 797 Sofnolime unless you really need the added CO2 absorbtion that it gives (140L/kg instead of 100L/kg).

Using CD Grade there is no percieved WOB, using 797 is like breathing through a long hose.

Michael

None

Looking at the sidekick, they recommend 404 slime, what would happen if I put 797 in? Apart from WOB increasing?

Would WOB increase to ridiculous, undiveable levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

The SK works fine with 797, but you'll need a better filter screen in the scrubber. I used the filter/scrubber screen material from a meg, as its a finer mesh.

None

Great. easy fix then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast