+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mold allergies

RBW Member khandroma is an unknown quantity at this point khandroma's Avatar

mold allergies

I had two incidences on my meg about a year ago - about 5-10 mins into the dive - felt something was not right, felt short of breath, so turned the dive - had sudden tachycardia (heart rate shot up) and flushing of skin. Thought initially was CO2 due to shortness of breath - tore my rig apart checking everything - nothing was amiss. The next DPV dive went smoothly, but the third dive the same happened. So again took everything apart - the only thing I found was a small plaque of (bacteria?) on the exhalant grid where the mushroom valve sits. So completely disinfected all mouthpiece with propanol alcohol and changed mushroom valve. Was confused also because CO2 symptoms didnt add up - no residual headache, no confusion, but I assumed it was CO2 at the time nothing else fit.

I had been diving a lot, in wam humid climate but after each dive I was disinfecting the loop with the fluid from the steramine tablets. My errors were in not let the loop and mouthpiece dry out completely between dives, and using steramine tablets which are NOT a fungicide and are made for the catering industry to prevent bacterial contamination of food surfaces.

To finish this story I recently found I have a severe allergy to mold. Histamine is a neurotransmitter meaning it can affect the autonomic nervous system i.e. heart rate, and it also contracts muscles- hence shortnesss of breath, despite being 100% saturated with oxygen as I found out in hospital. It can also cause face flushing and temperature changes. These are symptoms I had on my unit- which I thought or considered were CO2 - but am now considering it to be an allergic response to mold on my inner mouth piece - or loop/lungs. And now using a disinfectant that is a fungicide as well as bacteriocide and NOT using steramine tablets.

I would be interest in anyone else have similar type experiences.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: mold allergies

Just want to be clear. You saying you stopped using steramine tablets?
    I think that there are many people that use steramine and find this product to be effective.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 27th February 2015 at 16:14.
    Chett. L

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Not sure where you got your info from, the active ingredients in Steramine actually are fungicides, listed right there on the label.
    http://www.stearnspkg.com/all_tek/718tek_singles.pdf

You need to use it at the correct concentrations however, perhaps you were diluting it too much. Or organic debris (duckweed or seaweed) got on the mushroom valve and served as an effective growing medium for fungi or bacteria that got reintroduced to your loop after disinfection.

RBW Member Marbry is an unknown quantity at this point Marbry's Avatar
    Revo

Are you sure it came from the rebreather?

I've noticed for myself anyway that diving, with all the pressure changes, odd gases and such can aggravate any existing sinus or respiratory issues.

RBW Member khandroma is an unknown quantity at this point khandroma's Avatar

No I won't use the steramine tablets anymore. The manufacturer replied to my email stating that the steramine tablets DO NOT contain fungicides. As per his email below:

"Our product STERAMINE TABLETS, when used correctly as directed on the product label, acts as a “Food Contact Surface Sanitizer” (for sanitizing utensils, dishes, glasses and other food contact surfaces).

I don’t know where you gained the impression that our product acts as a fungicide – since no mention of fungicidal use is made on the product label or on the product’s website. I would appreciate you contacting me by phone 1-800-444-8227 regarding this in order that we may discuss this further.

Thank you,

William M. Edwards"

I beleive Steramine also produce a hospital type disinfectant in sachets that is a fungicide viricide ect, but the tablets are definitely not. Will use Chemgene which destroys bacteria, fungi, mycobacteria, viruses and spores.
    But I think part my problem was not letting loop and mouthpiece completely dry out after each dive....

Lee Thompson dragerdiver is an unknown quantity at this point dragerdiver's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Dolphin, Ray

This was a very eye opening topic, I started researching, and It appears that there are 2 products on the market, by 2 different distributors, that are very similar, but very different. and they are being marketed to us as the same product, simply because they have the same name.

Steramine tabs are not for killing fungus and molds.

Steramine in the packets is designed for killing fungus and molds.

Follow the link below to see just how efficient, and what nasty things the packets kill .
    http://www.stearnspkg.com/all_tek/st...ry-singles.pdf

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by dragerdiver  View Original Post
    This was a very eye opening topic, I started researching, and It appears that there are 2 products on the market, by 2 different distributors, that are very similar, but very different. and they are being marketed to us as the same product, simply because they have the same name.

Steramine tabs are not for killing fungus and molds.

Steramine in the packets is designed for killing fungus and molds.

Follow the link below to see just how efficient, and what nasty things the packets kill .
    Did you notice they have the same active ingredient too?

Quote Originally Posted by khandroma  View Original Post
    But I think part my problem was not letting loop and mouthpiece completely dry out after each dive....
    I need to be better about this myself too.

Lee Thompson dragerdiver is an unknown quantity at this point dragerdiver's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Dolphin, Ray

The active ingredients are not exactly the same. One has 50% active ingredients the other has 10% active ingredients but they are different.
    Last edited by dragerdiver; 2nd March 2015 at 22:06.

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by dragerdiver  View Original Post
    The active ingredients are not exactly the same. One has 50% active ingredients the other has 10% active ingredients but they are different.
    Quaternary ammonium is generally a mixture. Dozens of different products use them for disinfection and they are not necessarily the same exact compound but all have the same mode of action - which is fungicidal although it appears that the tablet manufacturer doesn't want to vouch for that.

I don't think the use of steramine tablets led to this fungal infection. Not drying the loop and organic debris on the mushroom valves seem much more likely to me.

I have a fungus humungous (at least I suspect its fungal) growing inside my mask and steramine and my dishwasher have both not completely stripped it off the silicon of the skirt. Fortunately its not creating any skin infections on my forehead or anything like that. It looks similar to the green/brown crust described by the OP. I would try vikron but I don't have any right now. I thought that my dishwasher would remove it and I ran the mask on the top shelf but its still got the organic looking crust inside the skirt. Just because it was sterilized (in the dishwasher if not by the steramine) doesn't mean it will remove debris and an organic crust like this which sure looks like a ready growing medium for reinfection.

RBW Member Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik's Avatar
    IDA-71(KISS Mod)

IDA-59 O2 Mod & KISS, IDA-72

At the down of last page №4 there is reference that 4 ounces per gallon solution of Steramine kills Aspergillus niger ATCC #6275.
    Typical application of one tablet per gallon results in 0,25 ounce per gallon solution (200ppm).
    So, AFAIU if we need to kill fungus - we need to use 16 tablets per gallon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast