+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drager Dolphin...Diminishing New Parts Availability

Banned W W Meixner is an unknown quantity at this point W W Meixner's Avatar
    Drager Dolphin

Drager Dolphin...Diminishing New Parts Availability

If your like me...still enjoying your factory configured Dolphin on an annual basis then your probably aware that the only real viable new replacement parts source for your Dolphin is W S Water Safety GMBH in Berlin.
    It has been evident for a while now that W S,s inventory of critical Dolphin parts is rapidly diminishing. I monitor their site regularly and reviewed their Dolphin parts inventory again a few days ago.
    They are down to their last few breathing bags. They have only one complete (with fittings) exhalation breathing bags left. Scrubber canister parts (lid assemblies) are also gone. Medium pressure hoses for the piston first stage are gone. Some bypass parts are gone.
    Martin at TECME is also running low. He is still showing complete scrubber canisters but I know for a fact he has sold the last one he had. He is still showing breathing bags but I'm not sure of his standing stock status.
    If you're in need of Dolphin parts for the 2015 dive season I suggest you act quickly.
    There are always used parts sources...E-Bay and others but if you follow these sites you are aware that there is little to no Dolphin activity.
    PADI has recently published that Drager Ray training has dropped by 99% and Dolphin training has dropped by 95%.
    Knowing ahead of time what the answer was going to be I asked Nikolas at W S Water Safety if FGT-5400 parts would be made available to make up for the short-fall in Dolphin parts and was told no.
    Our beloved Drager SCR's are unfortunately becoming a thing of the past.
    You may want to check with your Dolphin instructors, I know my Dolphin Instructor had a good supply of spares and service parts. Whether or not your instructor will part with anything is another story.
    Best,
    Warren

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Re: Drager Dolphin...Diminishing New Parts Availability

Draeger officially stopped supporting parts for the recreational line two years ago.

Chris Miller undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o's Avatar
    Dolphin (Atlantis)

IDA-71

Sad but true - some thoughts below:
    - some parts like o-rings can be replaced by using other than draeger spares - the material, size and density would need to be figured out/measured. Likely Martin has some of these figured out - I know he has the p-port ones.

-Regulators can be adapted/replaced (DS4 with a stronger spring from tecme) thus allowing annual service with Apeks parts. This also means you can switch to commodity hoses- with tecme adapters.

-If you can get a hold of Atlantis breathings bags they can be patched easier than the Dolphin black ones.

-you can opt for other breathing hoses like coopers or ray with tecme adapters. I assume Ray hoses are available as they are used in the ReVo.

Other items like canister seals would need to be manufactured - I see these as the death of the dolphin in the REC market as they would be too expensive to do in a small run.

Also if Martin retires we're screwed.

On the plus side used KISS sports are going for $1500-2500 - WOB sucks (blows?) - but this is roughly the price of a used Dolphin 5-6 years ago. Inspo Classics are in the same ball park.

Enjoy them while you can!

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

If you are looking for 2nd hand units to cannibalise for parts, a friend has a Dolphin for cheap sale..only thing missing is the bladder of the wing. PM me if interested.

Cheers!

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Quote Originally Posted by undrh2o  View Original Post
    Sad but true - some thoughts below:
    - some parts like o-rings can be replaced by using other than draeger spares - the material, size and density would need to be figured out/measured. Likely Martin has some of these figured out - I know he has the p-port ones.

-Regulators can be adapted/replaced (DS4 with a stronger spring from tecme) thus allowing annual service with Apeks parts. This also means you can switch to commodity hoses- with tecme adapters.

-If you can get a hold of Atlantis breathings bags they can be patched easier than the Dolphin black ones.

-you can opt for other breathing hoses like coopers or ray with tecme adapters. I assume Ray hoses are available as they are used in the ReVo.

Other items like canister seals would need to be manufactured - I see these as the death of the dolphin in the REC market as they would be too expensive to do in a small run.

Also if Martin retires we're screwed.

On the plus side used KISS sports are going for $1500-2500 - WOB sucks (blows?) - but this is roughly the price of a used Dolphin 5-6 years ago. Inspo Classics are in the same ball park.

Enjoy them while you can!
    i patch the black breathing bags and can guarantee the repair, also i am a factory trained repair tech (and active) so e mail me if you need anything

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

I can vouch for Steve....good guy, very Drager savvy.

I posted about this dilemma several years ago. We all knew this day was coming. Parts are gonna be harder and harder to source. Luckily, complete units are selling on fleabay and elsewhere for pretty good prices. I paid $3300 for my unit new ten years ago, and I've seen them selling recently for as little a $500 for a working unit. Parts units even less! There are deals out there, you just have to do a little digging. There are also still some shops with parts. In my travels, as limited as they may be, I always checked with former Drager dealers to see if they had any leftovers. They are usually happy to make a deal and get rid of the old parts.

FWIW....I went on a Drager buying binge a few years ago. For several months I picked up every little doo dad I could get my hands on for a good price, in anticipation of parts drying up. I had enough bits and pieces to build 3 units, with lots of spares. I amassed this big pile of parts, then I hardly used them. The Dolphin is a pretty well made unit and rarely, aside from neglect or abuse, has problems. At least in my experience.

There will always be some hardcore Dolphin guys out there. Even though I've moved on to a Kiss now, it was my time spent on the Dragers that got me started. I'll always be a Dolphin guy at heart.

+ Reply to Thread