+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at rebreathers

RBW Member CaptDoug is an unknown quantity at this point CaptDoug's Avatar

Looking at rebreathers

Long time diver making the move to rebreather. Joined the forum to get some opinions on Titan verses KISS units.

Thank you! Doug

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Re: Looking at rebreathers

I have been diving KISS Rebreathers since 2006 and have never had a problem with the equipment once.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar
    Inspo w/Deep Pursuit head:)

Titan is a design that I have considered many times but the biggest item to give me pause was their market penetration. There's a reason why they just haven't caught on. Not sure what that may be because I like their design but that fact alone makes me pause for thought. KISS on the other hand, well, their reputation for low maintenance and excellence precedes them. It's doubtful that you'll regret getting a KISS but I know more than a few that regret their Titan purchase...mainly on the grounds of customer support, not design...and nobody that regrets their KISS.

RBW Member Byte Me is an unknown quantity at this point Byte Me's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Titan

Good luck with your search! Lots of info and opinions to sort through. I have had a Titan for just over two years now and originally chose it because it bested competitors in a few key areas. Weight is the one of the big keys for me. The Titan is one of the lightest CCRs out there, in warm water with lavacore or 3mm I need no weight at all. With a drysuit I only need 4 lbs. So that was a big key. More unit weight = more air in your wing which is another bubble to manage. Front mounted counter lungs are a deal breaker. A 6 page build sheet is a deal breaker. For me it came down to Titan and rEvo - never considered KISS. rEvo is better with consumables, more "modular" in that you could replace things like Shearwaters in the field vs the potted electronics of the Titan. Titan was lighter and less expensive and after recommendations from my LDS and instructor whom I trust greatly I went with the Titan. Easy to build, easy to maintain and allows me to do every dive that I want to do, now or in the future.

Have there been issues? Yup sure there have. But my friends who have rEvo, Meg, Inspo have had issues as well. I know a fair amount of the back story of what's happened with Titan and in my recent dealings with them they've been very stand up and responsive. That said (and I know it's not currently in your consideration set) with the strength of the dollar compared to the Euro right now if I had to do it all over again I'd be really hard for me to pass on a rEvo Micro.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDoug  View Original Post
    Long time diver making the move to rebreather. Joined the forum to get some opinions on Titan verses KISS units.

Thank you! Doug
    Hello Doug,

since you are in Florida, you think you have time to come down this weekend? We have our Grand Opening in Ft. Lauderdale. AddHelium features every major rebreather and all we do is full time rebreather training. You get to meet and talk to all kinds of rebreather minded people who can answer your questions.

Here is a sample schedule for this weekend, but if you are already busy, just call and talk to Peter Sotis or Tony Land. 239-300-0913 and check us out at AddHelium.com.

Add Helium is celebrating the move to our new Fort Lauderdale facility with a weekend of free events, presentations, food, drink and prizes. We invite all of our loyal customers to join us.

The schedule of events is as follows:

Friday, February 20

Social, meet & greet, facility tour, and customer appreciation – 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Chris Parsons, Nauticam USA – Silent Shooting – 7:30 PM to 8:15 PM

Saturday, February 21

Lamar Hires, Dive Rite – The History of Sidemount – 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM

Lamar Hires, Dive Rite – Review of the new Optima Rebreather – 10:15 AM to 10:45 AM

Joe Citelli, Add Helium – Deep Diving – 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM

Lunch break

Claudia Roussos MD, Add Helium – Hydration While Diving – 2:00 PM to 2:30 PM

Claudia Roussos MD, Add Helium – Carbon Monoxide, the Other Deadly Gas – 2:30 PM to 3::00 PM

Tom Mount, IANTD – Survival and Self-Responsibility - 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM

Claudia Roussos MD, Add Helium – Decompression Theory – 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM

Sunday, February 22

Joe Dituri, IANTD – In-Water Recompression Theory and Techniques – 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM

Michael Barnette, AUE – New Exploration & Projects – 10:30 AM to Noon

Hope to see you there, Claudia

D. Miller, DVM Dmillerdvm is an unknown quantity at this point Dmillerdvm's Avatar
    Meg

Titan, rEvo

Hi Doug. I dived a Titan for 2 years and chose it over KISS due to the modular design, weight, back mounted counter lungs, good work of breathing, T design of loop, ease of build, can use cartridges or granuals, fit me well, light and easy to travel with. I attach a backplate for cold water diving and take it off for tropical diving.

I am currently offering my Titan for sale. If you can get to Add Helium, they are selling the unit for me, on consignment.

It is in excellent shape, has 100 dives on it. Has Shearwater electronics, quick disconnects, spare parts kit.

I had a problem with the electronics (the HUD battery). Service has been excellent. Repair parts are available. Tomar (the original engineer who designed the unit), now lives in Key Largo and repaired the unit in a timely fashion, kept in contact and there was minimal charge for the repair.

If you want additional details about the unit (pictures, etc.) email me privately at davidmillerdvm89@gmail.com
    Last edited by Dmillerdvm; 18th February 2015 at 22:22.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Hello Doug,

since you are in Florida, you think you have time to come down this weekend? We have our Grand Opening in Ft. Lauderdale. AddHelium features every major rebreather and all we do is full time rebreather training. You get to meet and talk to all kinds of rebreather minded people who can answer your questions.

Here is a sample schedule for this weekend, but if you are already busy, just call and talk to Peter Sotis or Tony Land. 239-300-0913 and check us out at AddHelium.com.

Add Helium is celebrating the move to our new Fort Lauderdale facility with a weekend of free events, presentations, food, drink and prizes. We invite all of our loyal customers to join us.

The schedule of events is as follows:

Friday, February 20

Social, meet & greet, facility tour, and customer appreciation – 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Chris Parsons, Nauticam USA – Silent Shooting – 7:30 PM to 8:15 PM

Saturday, February 21

Lamar Hires, Dive Rite – The History of Sidemount – 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM

Lamar Hires, Dive Rite – Review of the new Optima Rebreather – 10:15 AM to 10:45 AM

Joe Citelli, Add Helium – Deep Diving – 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM

Lunch break

Claudia Roussos MD, Add Helium – Hydration While Diving – 2:00 PM to 2:30 PM

Claudia Roussos MD, Add Helium – Carbon Monoxide, the Other Deadly Gas – 2:30 PM to 3::00 PM

Tom Mount, IANTD – Survival and Self-Responsibility - 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM

Claudia Roussos MD, Add Helium – Decompression Theory – 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM

Sunday, February 22

Joe Dituri, IANTD – In-Water Recompression Theory and Techniques – 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM

Michael Barnette, AUE – New Exploration & Projects – 10:30 AM to Noon

Hope to see you there, Claudia

Can't beat that, wish I could go just to see Claudia
    Chett. L

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

Kiss Sport, DiveRite O2ptima

You might consider contacting Doug Ebersole (debersole on the board). He's in Lakeland and is a Kiss CCR instructor.

I've been diving the Kiss Sprit LTE for a year. I can pack it in a carry-on and walk on the plane with it. It's a mCCR, vs. an eCCR like the Titan. Doug is an outstanding instructor and I can't say enough good things about him.

If I were just starting out again and looking at what unit to dive, I'd start out by figuring out if I wanted to dive mCCR or eCCR, then finding my unit from there. Personally, I prefer mCCR, but that's me.

RBW Member CaptDoug is an unknown quantity at this point CaptDoug's Avatar

Thanks for the responses! I know Doug Ebersole and heard back from him today.

Claudia, I wish I checked the forum last night. Drove right pass you all today. I will try to swing by next week.

Met with Tomar Friday where he spent a ton of time with me. Ended up purchasing the Titan with only 30 hours on it. Class starts next Saturday!

Anyone looking for used open circuit gear? ☺️

Doug

RBW Member P-A is an unknown quantity at this point P-A's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

If you're looking for mccr I would recommend you to take A look at the Pelagian DCCCR. It has a very nice modular design with great flexibility. It is very easy to maintain since most of the parts are of the shelf components for OC scuba gear.

www.rebreatherlab.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast