+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dive Charter wants Assistance re:Allowing rebreathers on their vessels.

RBW Member Paul Mellor is an unknown quantity at this point Paul Mellor's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Dive Charter wants Assistance re:Allowing rebreathers on their vessels.

I am about to do a trip to Queensland but have encounter a dive shop that has restrictions about allowing rebreathers on the charter.
    They are restricting themselves to poseidon rebreathers due to one of the owners has been trained on it.
    When i had discussions with them in regards to this they were happy to hear that i am willing to assist them in allow other rebreathers onto their boat, they are just worried about others whom might not have the relevant diving experience on the rebreather, not being qualified or being a cowboy and exceeding there rules. And how to support rebreather divers.

Some of the ideas we discussed was to do something like and extra waiver that requires the diver to have 6-10Hrs Post course diving on the rebreather to allow to gain additional experience, Agreement to follow strict guidelines and the diving policy when diving off there charter eg 90minutes dive time means back at surface in 90 minutes not 110minutes. Have ability to demonstrate predate checks and prove functionality of the rebreather to crew e.g. (pre-dive and pre-breath, computer, solenoid injecting, PPO2 readings, Dil Flush, Calibration, pressure gauges readings).

As for supporting rebreather divers i have given them the basic guidance such as once it is one there back don't touch the valves, Never lay a rebreather on its side, Be prepared to had the bailout bottle to them once in the water.(Ensure they all carry one regardless of depth or cylinder size). be prepared for longer dive times e.g. will dive the full 60-90 minutes if allowed.

Wondering what other charters have done or other divers have come across in this area so i can help develop something with them to help and support them and improve our diving in the future.

Paul

Supporting Member ml_guy is on a distinguished road ml_guy is on a distinguished road ml_guy's Avatar
    Revo Micro 3

Revo Mini 3

Re: Dive Charter wants Assistance re:Allowing rebreathers on their vessels.

In my experience most charters simply allow it. No need to prove to someone that it works, or otherwise.

Pom in Aus louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin's Avatar
    Meg & GAF

Kiss Classic & Sports Kiss

Contact Dive Dive Dive in Brisbane they will be able to assist.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Hi Paul ... yep 3D should be able to help you out. Lance may be able to point you to a CCR friendly boat in Cairns, I know he uses one.

BUT ... mate your in Queensland now - so logic goes out the window. Their rules are laws and they are strange to say the least. I may be wrong here so don't flame me because I avoid using boats up there so I am not fully across the laws. I think they need a person trained on the unit you are diving to be a supervisor on that dive but you can be that supervisor if you are mod II and/or mod II trained - as I said weird.

In regard to waivers .... not worth the paper they are printed on in Oz. They cannot divorce responsibility, wavers simply do not work here. All a diver needs to do is claim that they signed under duress ( ie ... a no sign, no dive policy) and they are void. The government up there may have an official waiver they could use but again it only offers limited protection and basically only shows intent.

Easy answer find a boat that is not scared stiff of Workcover, the bad old days of these guys acting like Gestapo are long gone. In fact the Workcover guy up in Cairns is really good and understands how this all works.

regards Baz

PS don't forget your snorkel .... its law !

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I love Queensland rules. Went over all of this last year with a shop at Ayr before a dive on the Yongala.

Legally you can dive any unit with air dil provided you're certified to dive it and there's a nitrox qualified supervisor on the boat. If you dive trimix, you're exempted from that rule - normal dive supervisor (as per scuba) is all that's required. Go figure.

Those Beaver rollup snorkels are great for Qld diving, just chuck it in your pocket. Although someone was telling me that snorkels are not required if you're diving on a loop, I haven't read that bit of the regs.

If it's a legal angle they're worried about, that's one thing and you just need to go over the rules to set them at ease. If it's them being a bunch of paranoid nancies, that's something else. And I'd be looking to change shop, frankly.

One thing to bear in mind - by helping them come up with a bunch of rules that work for /you/, you make them comfortable stuffing it up for everyone else. For example, I don't cart a bailout for <18m dives where the dil is more than adequate. If you insist on me carrying one, we're gonna have a bad time. And if you make me do some cute little test/demonstration before I dive my unit, especially when you have no idea whether I'm doing it correctly or not, I will be asking for a refund. I actually had to do quite a lot more than your little test to get my certification card, showing you (as a charter) that card should be ample.

Keep it simple. Trust that the guy who is certified to dive the unit can dive the unit - it's the same level of trust assumed when someone flashes a PADI OW card before grabbing a tank and jumping in any other day of their week and there's no reason they should be treating us any differently.
    Last edited by Captain Starfish; 18th February 2015 at 21:38.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

There you go ... all explained ... I almost got it right !

Go talk to 3D or Lance Robb or find a realistic boat to dive with.

regards Baz

RBW Member fullytek is an unknown quantity at this point fullytek's Avatar
    megabastard

As a charter operator. I am of the opinion that a diver OC or CCR is responsible for them self as soon as they jump off the back of the boat. I do verify that every diver is certified to to a level required for the dive. If there diving a breather I might confirm that they are certified to dive that machine. I offer assistance to my passengers but only if they ask for it. Every one has there own routine when gearing up. I'm grateful for the few coustomers I have and I would be doing my self a disservice to limit y passengers to one brand of rebreather.
    Last edited by fullytek; 19th February 2015 at 00:38.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

^^ and the breather/tec divers who utilise your company are no doubt grateful for a hands-off taxi service which is all we usually want from a day charter!

I don't own, operate or affiliate with any charter companies but I am a skipper with a local dive club in Perth and we adopt a very similar response: we will get you out to a dive site which is within your training limits and we will get you back to land again. What you do in the water is up to you, provided it doesn't negatively impact the rest of the boat or the club.

It works pretty well.

+ Reply to Thread