+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compressor questions. How 'bout it guys?

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Re: Compressor questions. How 'bout it guys?

You might have enough space for a third pulley set and set up a compound gear ratio. it might end up costing as much as the new motor.

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

Smile Re: Compressor questions. How 'bout it guys?

Yes, I thought about an idler to change the speed too. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of making it compact. Plus, it over complicates a simple set up. It would not work anyway, not enough space.

I've been pondering this dilemma all day. I really don't want to have to buy another motor, or hack up what I've built by trying to modify it too much. I built it from what I already had on hand. It's done with a tubing base and angle frame because I had it.

I could always just back up and punt.... I could build a new frame that will allow me to use a bigger pulley. That would probably be the easiest. I'd have to pick up some material, but it's a lot cheaper than a new motor.

Still, I'd like to know that it's necessary before I start over.

FD

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm a **huge** proponent of getting the job done w/ materials at hand. My first inclination would be to give 'er a test run as is at the lower rpm. Before testing, though, I'd pick up an inexpensive infrared thermometer, such as:

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ing-61894.html

I'd then go down to the shop where you work and measure actual temperature at all points you suspect will get hot on all 3 of the shop's compressors & filter stacks while they're in use. Do a test run filling a single 80 and see what the actual temperature situation is at analogous points on your setup. Keep the thermometer in action the entire time and abort if temps start to get scary. If all's well w/ one 80, go for 2 in succession, etc, until you find steady state values.

As far as splash lube goes, at 700 rpm you're still getting a dozen or so splashes per second. Food for thought.

Just my $0.02

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

I have an infrared thermometer. I already planned to monitor temps. The major issue with comparing all the units is location. One is outside, one is in a little room, one is in the corner of the engine bay,etc. They are all considerably larger than mine and feeding banked tanks, so I don't think it would be comparing apples to apples.

I agree with you on using what materials you have on hand, but..... They were just left overs from other projects. It was done in that particular manner because it was convenient. It was a spur of the moment idea started on a Saturday. I have no problem re-designing it so there are no issues. I'd rather go that route than take a chance of damaging my compressor. I can't replace it, so I've only got one chance to do this correctly.

FWIW this whole situation is: I jumped the gun. I assumed the rpm range was lower and started ordering parts. Now I have to fix my mistake using what I have. Really, it's pretty simple. If I add a larger drive pulley....problem solved.

I have narrowed it down to two things. 1) I can modify what I have, or 2) I can build a new one. Since what I have is nearly done, I'll make the mod and see how it goes. If I don't like it, I'll build a new frame that will allow for the larger pulley.

I'll keep ya' posted. Thanks for all the input.

FD
    Last edited by firemandiver; 10th February 2015 at 16:39.

Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

Ok,

Finally found time to update this thread. Maybe there is some useful information for someone....

I ended up going back to the drawing board, and re-designing the entire set up to make it work. I scrapped the frame I had, then built a whole new one. I moved the motor to fit below the compressor and went with the largest drive pulley I could fit. It worked like a charm! I ended up with a 1200 rpm range, which works perfectly.

I sandblasted, primed, and painted the frame, and it looks like it came from the factory. I added a nitrox stick and all is well. I do have a little issue with the nitrox, but I'll put that in another post.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

FD

Here are a few pics:
    Attached Images

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Sweet!

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Dang, that's purdy.

I like the way you've kinda hidden away the fanbelt and pulleys - I'm always a little nervous starting mine in case some random bit of crap has fallen in the way and is about to be launched into low orbit.

Guessing that you ended up knocking a hole in the wall for ventilation? If not, check clearances, I believe at least the Capitanos need a foot or two clearance in front of the fan.

I've also been thinking about rejiggering mine to sit on top of the motor, only downside is getting easy access to the oil drain with no risk of it escaping over the motor. How'd you sort that out?

Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

If you look just over the top of the frame, you can see the opening in the wall for cooling. I picked up a 18X24 louvered panel from Home Depot, cut out and framed in the opening, then trimmed it out with some corner moulding. I made a slip in door from 3/4" plywood that fits snug. The compressor sits about 4" from the wall....just enough to reach in and pull out the door for air flow. Seems to work just fine so far.

For oil changes, I plan to just use a diverter to channel the oil away from above the motor. A piece of 2" aluminum angle works great. I left enough slack where I can tilt the compressor forward, making it super easy. Gravity is your friend! You could also make a dedicated drain with a few fittings and tubing. I initially thought about a fancy permanent oil drain, but it seemed like overkill. A drip tray and a catch pan work fine.

Thanks, FD
    Last edited by firemandiver; 26th April 2015 at 15:07.

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Nice job, well done!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2