+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible silly question,

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Questions.......

Quote Originally Posted by wreckferret
    Sorry if this sounds very stupid but I don`t know a lot about the tech side of rebreathers.

Wreckferrret,

I've made this point before, but it needs re-stating every so often.

If you have an honest desire to get information, then no question is stupid.

How we, as people with more experience and knowledge, deal with your question is the important part.

We have a lot of people with a lot of theoretical experience AND a lot of practical experience. The combined effect is synergistic. "Rebreather World" is rapidly becoming the most authoritative source available in the world for information about re-breather operations!

Our members invariably are willing to help with information, suggestions, and "Don't do this because this is what happened when I did it!" type stories. Combine that with the friendly atmosphere that has developed (and which the staff will continue to encourage) and you have the best environment possible for all of us who are strange re-breather creatures, and those who want to become part of that breed!!!!

Cheers!

Rob Davie

New Member wreckferret is an unknown quantity at this point wreckferret's Avatar
    Cheers Rob.

I know a lot of people who dive with rebreathers but I like to have a full understanding of all aspects of tech/deep diving.

In future when I have a question I will structure it better.

Safe diving.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar
    Cheers Rob.

I know a lot of people who dive with rebreathers but I like to have a full understanding of all aspects of tech/deep diving.

In future when I have a question I will structure it better.

Safe diving.

Dave,

No worries, mate! Enjoy your reading and correspondence here!

Cheers!

Rob Davie

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Rather than spend a fortune on a YBOD could I get away with SCR .
    I would still carry 10L x 2 of deco gas.
    Something like the EDO04 or Tourill is probably your best bet. They are still fairly large, but unlike the Halcyon are actually less expensive than most CCRs. Have a peek in the SCR forum and a look at Sean's article about the first impressions of his EDO.

Training and certification are still an issue, and one to be taken seriously. Christoph is working to get both for the Tourill. Halcyon is training is GUE exclusive and as expensive as it is extensive. They require three GUE to be taken before the RB80 class.

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc
    Do you know of anyone who has pictures or info on this RB? I think they called it the Dolphin 80. I am wondering how they worked.
    Dave, when Dräger first entered the rec market with their RB there was a transcript afloat from one of company's presentations. The 80 m unit was mentioned, as a natural step for people to progress to. I didn't know that they ever got as far as the prototypes until I found out ANDI was involved with the training. Knowing my urge to collect info I probably have a copy of it on a now inaccessable Jazz disc in some box.

Dräger being involved in modifying Dolphins to 80 m max depth was covered in at least one article in the German 'tauchen' magazine (covering a 2000 trip to Scapa Flow with modified Dolphins). It doesn't give details of the modification other than mentioning gas switch blocks and mix, and the units are only shown on divers with offboard tanks, very small in size. Can't see squad.

I inquired at Dräger about it, but as always when it's not on the market that's all they will tell you (tried getting info on the SMS2000 eCCR a few years back with the same results).

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Why not get one of the RB-copies, dive it in SCR for a while then converted it into CCR (ala XCR) when ready if you don't want to spend too much ?

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Something like the EDO04 or Tourill is probably your best bet. They are still fairly large, but unlike the Halcyon are actually less expensive than most CCRs. Have a peek in the SCR forum and a look at Sean's article about the first impressions of his EDO.

Training and certification are still an issue, and one to be taken seriously. Christoph is working to get both for the Tourill. Halcyon is training is GUE exclusive and as expensive as it is extensive. They require three GUE to be taken before the RB80 class.

Dave, when Dräger first entered the rec market with their RB there was a transcript afloat from one of company's presentations. The 80 m unit was mentioned, as a natural step for people to progress to. I didn't know that they ever got as far as the prototypes until I found out ANDI was involved with the training. Knowing my urge to collect info I probably have a copy of it on a now inaccessable Jazz disc in some box.

Dräger being involved in modifying Dolphins to 80 m max depth was covered in at least one article in the German 'tauchen' magazine (covering a 2000 trip to Scapa Flow with modified Dolphins). It doesn't give details of the modification other than mentioning gas switch blocks and mix, and the units are only shown on divers with offboard tanks, very small in size. Can't see squad.

I inquired at Dräger about it, but as always when it's not on the market that's all they will tell you (tried getting info on the SMS2000 eCCR a few years back with the same results).
    Well Stfan if you ever dig it up let me know. I am just curious. I assume the unit was still a SCR with the ability to switch carry gas?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc
    I assume the unit was still a SCR with the ability to switch carry gas?
    AFAIK both the original "80m project" as well as the Scapa rigs were SCRs.
    On the latter the switchblock looked kinda like a commercial setup, like the DSI manifolds, with tankvalve sized knurled knows. IIRC it was mounted on a plate on the chest. If I find any of it I'll let you know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2