+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dive Hat / Helmet - Shop built

Chris Miller undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o's Avatar
    Dolphin (Atlantis)

IDA-71

Re: Dive Hat / Helmet - Shop built

Looks cool but... is that a Paragon??

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

This all started when a dive buddy and myself were wondering if my Guardian FFM or AGA Divator had a greater field of view than a basic dive mask. I was sure because it has a lens the size of a car windshield it did. A few basic tests showed us it was basically the same. I was interested in a better view so started looking around. My first stop was the Hydroptix mask. I could not find one for a reasonable price used and the contact lens correction needed put me off.

I have tried a gas mask with a single plane curved lens for diving (an aborted project at building my first full face mask about 12 years ago) and you are right it is a hideous distortion. I could only take a minute or so of it. You are right Snusmumrik.
    "for example - a beer bottle looks like finger-sized children toy potion"
    I have to add that after my 3rd beer underwater I find the bottles look smaller too... Sorry. I had to...

From there I found that there are a number of shaped lenses in the diving world. The Johnson Sea Link was a massive acrylic sphere you sat in. Built in 1971 I bet the optics were not perfect but they had a clear view. Almost all small submersibles use a sphere viewport somewhere with no strange distortions mentioned. The Jim or Newt suit used a big dome too I believe. The Exo suit uses an odd shaped viewport.

In the seventies the LAMA helmet was an acrylic sphere diving helmet. I remember seeing it on the SEA TREK BBC episodes. I hear they hated them in use for work of breathing and CO2 buildup but the optics were fine. It did take a readjustment period while your brain rewired a bit I thought I once read.
    Then on the DESCO website they have a "Fisheries" hard hat with a massive single axis curved lens. I don't know how it works and can't come up with 6k plus to try it out for fun.

As well Piel in the seventies made a dive helmet with a flip up sphere shaped lens. There are no notes around that it did not work. It was sold commercially too.

So I started with a lexan sphere and was just going to do a simple bubble over the head test. It was almost as much work to put it in a helmet so I did. It started off quite rough (It was just a joke so who cares? Right?) and soon grew better and better looking. Once I worked out how to build a workable neck dam I was too far in to back up and iron out the details I had rushed off the start. As a result its really cool but on close inspection a bit shy on the finesse details.

Dry tests in my workshop show that the reg blows a bit in my eyes. It would dry them to a crisp in a few minutes. Ill have to change the air deflector in there. I wanted the dry air to travel across the lens like in a AGA mask to keep it clear but its a little off.

As well when you fit the neck dam it acts like a massive 2nd stage diaphragm and moves in and out a bit. Your ears equalize, then un-equalize, then equalize, then un-equalize, then.... with every breath. I've never used a hardhat before. Does the static pressure of water quell this a bit? Any commercial hard hat divers want to comment?

The Reg is a Paragon. I was going to use my trusty Conshelf but then I put the paragon back together with some help of the odd bits of manual I found on RBW and from a few members advice and it seems to work ok. Plus you can dial the seat open and free flow it a bit if you want.

Really I wanted a Kirby Morgan 17B but a trashed one sells for about 2K and It didn't seems good value just to satisfy my curiosity.

Only wet testing will say if it is viable or just gives you a massive migraine.
    I cant wait.

RBW Member Marbry is an unknown quantity at this point Marbry's Avatar
    Revo

I've wondered if you could make special large contact lenses that would allow you to focus underwater.

Then you could just wear something like safety glasses to keep the pressure of the water off your eyes as you scooter.

John H Hanzl johnnyh is an unknown quantity at this point johnnyh's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Sentinel Expedition Travel

Dive Hat / Helmet - Shop built

Quote Originally Posted by Marbry  View Original Post
    I've wondered if you could make special large contact lenses that would allow you to focus underwater.

Then you could just wear something like safety glasses to keep the pressure of the water off your eyes as you scooter.

You still need to equalize your sinuses...
    Last edited by johnnyh; 17th January 2015 at 08:44. Reason: because im an idiot
    John Hanzl

Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
    www.outofhellskitchen.com

RBW Member MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent's Avatar
    rEvo micro FT

Gotta laugh. Checked out the hydrooptix site and noticed the PADI double dome mask specialty advertised.

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

I should apply for a PADI course for my helmet. I'll take it and pass myself and get a nice card.

There was some scant info around on contact lenses for underwater use. They were the massive Scleral lenses that rest on the white area of your eye. In the center was a void for air that allowed "normal" use of your eyes underwater. I can't recall the details but it was 1960's stuff and dropped. I think the Navy was looking at it for use in wet chambers or something. Or that could have been part of a dream I had. Its all starting to blur.

Revo

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh  View Original Post
    You still need to equalize your sinuses...
    You don't need to have a mask on to equalize.

John H Hanzl johnnyh is an unknown quantity at this point johnnyh's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Sentinel Expedition Travel

You are, of course, fully correct. My mind wandered off to something totally unrelated. I was thinking about deep free divers and the air space in goggles, does that become a problem, which got me to thinking about free divers using goggles vs mask and the need to pressurize that larger volume and that's why goggles are used - never considered that before. None of which at all pertains to the current conversation...
    John Hanzl

Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
    www.outofhellskitchen.com

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

Talking Re: Dive Hat / Helmet - Shop built

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy  View Original Post
    This is ready for pool testing. It was built from scratch with the idea that a sphere shaped lens would give an excellent field of view. We'll see. It does look cool. Darth Vader meets Apollo astronaut. Its complete with counterweights, neck dam, headliner and a oral nasal cup inside. The pool will stop letting me in the facility after this one I'm sure...

Attachment 36063
    Attachment 36064
    Hi

very pretty your helmet it's for space and/or diving ? and your drysuit ?
    since that they are found plancton in space all the divers want diving in Space

Franck
    Last edited by Franck13; 17th January 2015 at 14:32.

Revo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy  View Original Post
    There was some scant info around on contact lenses for underwater use. They were the massive Scleral lenses that rest on the white area of your eye. In the center was a void for air that allowed "normal" use of your eyes underwater. I can't recall the details but it was 1960's stuff and dropped. I think the Navy was looking at it for use in wet chambers or something. Or that could have been part of a dream I had. Its all starting to blur.
    I was thinking that it might be possible to construct a lens that itself corrected the distortion, without the need to trap any air.

I suspect it probably is, but would it still be something you could stand to wear?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast