+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dive Hat / Helmet - Shop built

RBW Member N Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point N Bailey's Avatar

Re: Dive Hat / Helmet - Shop built

Are you using an oral nasal mask within the dome? if not beware rapid CO2 build up.

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

It's hard to see in the pictures because everything is black on black on black but it draws air directly across the inside of the lens, into a divator interspiro oral nasal cup and from there exits via internal large diameter hose to the exhaust valve on the side just above neck level. I'll try to add an internal photo later.

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Tried the mask last week at the pool.
    IT IS EXCELLENT!
    Loads of issues but overall I'm going to be using this for my OC diving within a year.

Field of vision is perfect. Almost comparable to not wearing a mask standing in my living room. The dome lens is magnification free as far as I can tell. I was prepared for an "adjustment period" of some sort while my brain rewired but it was fine right off the mark. Truly surreal.

Missing about 5 lbs of weight - tries to float your whole body up by your neck.

Needs neck strap like a motorcycle helmet - it wags a bit when you move and the neck dam is the only thing keeping it from floating off to the surface.

Paragon freeflowed the entire time...Don't make any jokes. Its just how it was.
    I had already modified it as the reg was ported directly into the helmet. It did not work well. Blew my eyelids off with every breath and pressurized the whole helmet popping my ears with every breath. So I plugged it and reported it directly into the oral mask with an array of pinholes that bleeds a little air off of every breath onto the lens to keep it clear. Much better.

I do love it though.

RBW Member RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17 will become famous soon enough RZEP17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy  View Original Post
    As well when you fit the neck dam it acts like a massive 2nd stage diaphragm and moves in and out a bit. Your ears equalize, then un-equalize, then equalize, then un-equalize, then.... with every breath. I've never used a hardhat before. Does the static pressure of water quell this a bit? Any commercial hard hat divers want to comment?
    Dewatering mushroom valve, spring regulated from outside, placed in the lowest portion of helmet, can be answer to your problems. I will also strongly suggest some sort of free flow possibility, directed at your lenses to clear the fogging.
    Finally, it is probably to late for that, but adjustable second stage reg will be more beneficial option - it will help creating little breathing resistance or free flow from your reg depends on the situation.
    Just my 2 cents. Great project. Good luck.
    regards
    Tomek

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Quote Originally Posted by RZEP17  View Original Post
    Dewatering mushroom valve, spring regulated from outside, placed in the lowest portion of helmet, can be answer to your problems. I will also strongly suggest some sort of free flow possibility, directed at your lenses to clear the fogging.
    Finally, it is probably to late for that, but adjustable second stage reg will be more beneficial option - it will help creating little breathing resistance or free flow from your reg depends on the situation.
    Just my 2 cents. Great project. Good luck.
    regards
    Tomek
    Agreed you need a air train to defog the lense and you can free flow of you are working hard to help flush the helmet. Also it can be used as a backup if the 2nd stage malfunctions.

You should also think about a check valve on your gas inlet and a 2nd port for gas addition incase of a primary failure or for doing gas switches.

The mushroom valve low will work as a dewater valve and help with the equalization.

You should also put a safety strap attached to the neck dam around the top of the helmet. Since you have a 17 style neck dam you are missing the toilet seat that acts like a retaining system.

Overall looks cool.

Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Lake testing after leaving this project for a few months on the shelf. All feedback from everyone is about right. Needs more work but is also really good fun. I added more lead but need still more....GOPR0156.jpgGOPR0158.jpg

plays with fire RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver's Avatar
    modified Poseidon Discovery

Have you evolved this project any further Sandy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3