+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Traveling with a CCR - some airline experiences

RBW Member PIG004 is an unknown quantity at this point PIG004's Avatar
    jj ccr

Re: Traveling with a CCR - some airline experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Venomguy  View Original Post
    I would avoid Palau like the Plague if your on CCR.....
    I traveled there with my JJ from Indonesia.
    United charge $40 for a 2nd 23 kg bag. My JJ weighs about 23 kg in its box without tanks and a few others bits!

You can rent tanks and lime in Palau if you dive at Sams tours.

Contact them for more info.

RBW Member Goferrin99 is an unknown quantity at this point Goferrin99's Avatar
    Nil

Discount airlines with pre paid baggage are generally very good and cost effective. Most Asian international flights work out to ~$1 per kg. Remember that the rates for Sports Allowance are genearally higher than declaring normal luggage.

Lion Air in Indonesia has no pre paid excess but very reasonable excess baggage rates so I checked in a full dive bag, KISS and scooter Jakarta to Bali for $60.

I generally hand carry the KISS but have enough prepaid baggage should it be deemed too big/heavy/scary. It doesnt happen much but enough to make me wary of carrying it back pack style with no protection that alot of people now seem to be doing and risking it being sent to the hold with no protection

One thing i do avoid now is customised boxes or big crates. They scream "steal me" and "whats in there". All my stuff now goes into non descript black suit cases. Way less questions and checkin are far more likely to accept a couple of extra kilos

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hello all, I'm always sorry to hear about things like this. One good precaution I have used in the Pacific is to get the dive operation you are using to help book the domestic part of the ticket. That way, they can make sure you get all the consideration possible for dive gear. Often times the resort/operation have regular dealings with the airline people, who then can override whatever restrictions they might throw at you were you to book the domestic portion yourself. Don't be afraid to make the dive ops work for your booking, they are usually happy to do so as good customer reviews in the age of the internet are like money in the bank.

The locals getting on with overweight stuff is a regular occurrence in Indonesia, and there's no good reason why a person spending a bunch of money in the local economy shouldn't get the same consideration. You just have to know how and who to ask... -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2