+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a CCR - some airline experiences

RBW Member Grumpish is an unknown quantity at this point Grumpish's Avatar

Traveling with a CCR - some airline experiences

I did the course, I bought the rebreather, so it was time to go and get it wet, preferably somewhere warm and sunny, which means long haul for someone in the UK. Indonesia in this case. After a bit of messing around with various bags, I got the Se7en in a carry on bag, weighing in at around 12kgs with the various other bits and pieces like the laptop. The first shock came when I checked in for my Emirates flight in Manchester - they weigh the carry on. Sorry sir, that is too heavy for hand baggage, that will be £320 please. After going away, repacking things, packing some stuff into a a strong carrier bag that was now doing service as a laptop bag and putting things in my coat pockets, I just about got away with it.

The next catch was on the second leg of the trip - look out for the code share, you may not end up with the baggage allowance you think you have. In this case, I was transferring from a Garuda Indonesia flight operated by Garuda Indonesia to a flight that was actually operated by Philippine Airlines. Garuda has a very diver friendly allowance of 30kgs plus an extra 23kgs for diving equipment for checked baggage, Philippine Airlines has a very diver unfriendly allowance of 20kgs total. I wasn't checked through, and had to check in again in Jakarta, at which point I got stung by Philippines Airlines for $140 in excess baggage - not a huge amount, but I was seriously pissed off at PAL, I saw Filipinos being allowed to get away with not paying anything for more excess weight in just hand baggage than I had excess in total.

So a couple of lessons learned - one is to take a coat with lots of strong pockets for small heavy items like 1st stages, plus a laptop bag, which many airlines now allow as an additional piece of hand baggage. And the other is to watch out for the code share flights, where the flight may be operated by a different carrier, and allowances may not be what you think they are.

And after all that, the diving - great, I can recommend Two Fish on Bunaken Island, they are very much tech and rebreather friendly.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Traveling with a CCR - some airline experiences

I recommend www.scottevest.com. You'd be amazed how much you can cram into one of their travel garments, including a laptop in case the airline counts that separately.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Re: Traveling with a CCR - some airline experiences

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I recommend www.scottevest.com. You'd be amazed how much you can cram into one of their travel garments, including a laptop in case the airline counts that separately.

Couldn't agree more! Love mine even for quick trips to prevent checked baggage.

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

You can fly Garuda now all the way from the UK to Indonesia, then (although not too good news today) the likes of Air Asia are good to travel with internally in Asia for diving

RBW Member Venomguy is an unknown quantity at this point Venomguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpish  View Original Post
    I did the course, I bought the rebreather, so it was time to go and get it wet, preferably somewhere warm and sunny, which means long haul for someone in the UK. Indonesia in this case. After a bit of messing around with various bags, I got the Se7en in a carry on bag, weighing in at around 12kgs with the various other bits and pieces like the laptop. The first shock came when I checked in for my Emirates flight in Manchester - they weigh the carry on. Sorry sir, that is too heavy for hand baggage, that will be £320 please. After going away, repacking things, packing some stuff into a a strong carrier bag that was now doing service as a laptop bag and putting things in my coat pockets, I just about got away with it.

The next catch was on the second leg of the trip - look out for the code share, you may not end up with the baggage allowance you think you have. In this case, I was transferring from a Garuda Indonesia flight operated by Garuda Indonesia to a flight that was actually operated by Philippine Airlines. Garuda has a very diver friendly allowance of 30kgs plus an extra 23kgs for diving equipment for checked baggage, Philippine Airlines has a very diver unfriendly allowance of 20kgs total. I wasn't checked through, and had to check in again in Jakarta, at which point I got stung by Philippines Airlines for $140 in excess baggage - not a huge amount, but I was seriously pissed off at PAL, I saw Filipinos being allowed to get away with not paying anything for more excess weight in just hand baggage than I had excess in total.

So a couple of lessons learned - one is to take a coat with lots of strong pockets for small heavy items like 1st stages, plus a laptop bag, which many airlines now allow as an additional piece of hand baggage. And the other is to watch out for the code share flights, where the flight may be operated by a different carrier, and allowances may not be what you think they are.

And after all that, the diving - great, I can recommend Two Fish on Bunaken Island, they are very much tech and rebreather friendly.
    Feel your pain. Our most recent trip was stung with USD 1000 + for excess and then the gouging really started once you hit the diving destination. USD 45 per kg for sorb and an O2 bill of USD 800.Think from now on will just be using my CCR locally and then go OC for travel.
    And yes very sad about Air Asia but not that surprising given some of their flights previously . I remember 1 pilot landed downwind with the stall indicators screeching on a trip I was on to Indonesia earlier this year.

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Venomguy  View Original Post
    Feel your pain. Our most recent trip was stung with USD 1000 + for excess and then the gouging really started once you hit the diving destination. USD 45 per kg for sorb and an O2 bill of USD 800.Think from now on will just be using my CCR locally and then go OC for travel.
    And where was that, exactly?

(Nice to know which places to avoid)

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post

Thanks Ken

RBW Member Venomguy is an unknown quantity at this point Venomguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlovold  View Original Post
    And where was that, exactly?

(Nice to know which places to avoid)
    I would avoid Palau like the Plague if your on CCR.....

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Yes, I have felt this sort of pain. First time I went to Truk - 320 AUD for the extra bag. On the way back I had nearly 20g of stuff scattered about my person and buddies took a few bits as well, so avoided the excess baggage.

Travelling recently on Australia's finest, Qanatas, got stung for NZD600 for excess baggage. When I asked why was it not counted in the sports allowance, was told the sport allowance is counted as part of my normal allowance. Double speak and double dealing but understandable - Qantas is in a spot of bovver so I guess they need to scrabble for any loose change they can get.

Thanks for the link to the travel jackets - if I wear two I cna carry 40Kg of stuff onto the plane - awesome!

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Venomguy  View Original Post
    I would avoid Palau like the Plague if your on CCR.....
    More details please. I'm planning a week there before continuing to Chuuk (Truk) for several days.

I plan on global first for many reasons and my luggage allowance should cover everything except for one flight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast