+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

RBW Member Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

Quote Originally Posted by PSotis  View Original Post
    Its great to see a constructive conversation taking place. Thanks for all of the great input by everyone.
    PSotis, given your knowledge, could I confirm a theory as to why I suffered from something similar when I moved to BMCL's? I found that my trim became very crucial when diving BMCLs in current. Basically what would happen as I worked into a strong current I would go from horizontal in the water to slightly head up (not intentionally I might add), as I worked harder, this became a little more exaggerated. Given my BMCL's sit as much on top of the shoulder as anything, this made exhaling harder. As exhaling became harder, I am guessing I was breathing shallower and not exchanging the CO2 from deeper in my lungs and thus retaining CO2. As my work rate increased, this build up exaggerated my need to breathe which only further compounded the problem. It was relatively easily fixed by resting back in a proper trim position. My solution has been very simple and I guess completely obvious, stay in trim and do not work to hard into a current. Have I got this sort correct?

Cheers
    Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

Re: Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

Try changing your breahting habbits...Stop breathing from your chest and start breathing from your stomach. Co2 collects in the lower 2/3 of your lungs while you breath from your chest area. Try it in a pool pushing against a wall and you will see the difference. Surprised that wasn't one of the issues taught to you by your instructor. I see this with OC divers pulling heavy loads under water.

RBW Member Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by vincnt moore  View Original Post
    Try changing your breahting habbits...Stop breathing from your chest and start breathing from your stomach. Co2 collects in the lower 2/3 of your lungs while you breath from your chest area. Try it in a pool pushing against a wall and you will see the difference. Surprised that wasn't one of the issues taught to you by your instructor. I see this with OC divers pulling heavy loads under water.

Thanks Vincent I concur with your conclusion, though I am aware of the breathing technique and how to best eliminate CO2 from the lungs. My question was more directed to the use of BMCLs. I learnt and dived (in current) on FMCL's and never experienced an issue. It was only when I switched to BMCLs that I first encountered this issue and noticed that it was physically harder to exhale in the circumstances I described below. Maybe my breathing technique broke down under load, but managing my trim a little better, wob is effortless and the issue has not re-occurred, despite swims in fairly stiff currents. Appreciate the input though.
    Cheers
    Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

It is possible that the BMCL's gave you an issue, but there many things that could have led you to this issue. Also, I have no experience with those CL's and I have learned to never second guess on equipment that I have no personal experience diving. But your statement of making it hard to exhale against BMCL is contrary to the usual. Generally speaking, since ambient pressure is less above you exhaling is easier...the inhale, which is bringing gas against increased ambient pressure to your lungs to generally more difficult. Keeping all of this in mind, it is my opinion that people all too often are looking to blame the machine because they had a result different than the norm.

It is logical that you improved your situation when you changed your position to horizontal, but it is also possible that when doing so you stopped working quite so hard and paid more attention to your situation, which helped bring it back in line. Again, hard to say, as I don't have all of the details.

I hope this explanation helps you a little. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Larry0428  View Original Post
    PSotis, given your knowledge, could I confirm a theory as to why I suffered from something similar when I moved to BMCL's? I found that my trim became very crucial when diving BMCLs in current. Basically what would happen as I worked into a strong current I would go from horizontal in the water to slightly head up (not intentionally I might add), as I worked harder, this became a little more exaggerated. Given my BMCL's sit as much on top of the shoulder as anything, this made exhaling harder. As exhaling became harder, I am guessing I was breathing shallower and not exchanging the CO2 from deeper in my lungs and thus retaining CO2. As my work rate increased, this build up exaggerated my need to breathe which only further compounded the problem. It was relatively easily fixed by resting back in a proper trim position. My solution has been very simple and I guess completely obvious, stay in trim and do not work to hard into a current. Have I got this sort correct?

Cheers
    Larry

Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by PSotis  View Original Post
    It is possible that the BMCL's gave you an issue, but there many things that could have led you to this issue. Also, I have no experience with those CL's and I have learned to never second guess on equipment that I have no personal experience diving. But your statement of making it hard to exhale against BMCL is contrary to the usual. Generally speaking, since ambient pressure is less above you exhaling is easier...the inhale, which is bringing gas against increased ambient pressure to your lungs to generally more difficult. Keeping all of this in mind, it is my opinion that people all too often are looking to blame the machine because they had a result different than the norm.

It is logical that you improved your situation when you changed your position to horizontal, but it is also possible that when doing so you stopped working quite so hard and paid more attention to your situation, which helped bring it back in line. Again, hard to say, as I don't have all of the details.

I hope this explanation helps you a little. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Peter
    Thanks Peter, I suspect you are most likely correct and it's just in my head. Appreciate the reply.

Cheers
    Larry

RBW Member mdma946552 is an unknown quantity at this point mdma946552's Avatar
    inspo clasic

Quote Originally Posted by Larry0428  View Original Post
    Hi mdma946552, silicone grease is only a problem when in contact with high pressure O2. It is used to lubricate all of the low pressure O rings in my loop. The advice to use silicone on the scrubber O ring in the Inspo came directly from Martin Parker of AP Diving.

Cheers
    Larry

great so i need o2 lube only on the o2 first stage that's good news thanks

RBW Member delta-v is an unknown quantity at this point delta-v's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello DP, methinks you might have hit the nail right on the head.

What is the APD recommended interval for replacement of the mushrooms? -Andy
    Good question. My unit just celebrated its first birthday but I doubt the mushrooms are shot already.

I know I nearly burst my cheeks every time I perform the blow/suck test prior to assembly, so they're pretty strong : )

Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Tetis  View Original Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    If I may, I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is your unit modified in any way?
    2. Which sorb do you use?
    3. Do you remember which dill. you where using on the 50m dive?
    4. Do you use a checklist? if so, where the mushroom valves opperational?
    5. What is your posture during a dive? vertical? horizontal? head down?
    6. Could you share the dive log files?

And yes, getting In shape is always great..

Curious.

Bryan
    Here you go : )

1. Zero mods that interact with the breathing loop or electronics
    2. Sofnolime 797
    3. Looked up the logs - DIL was 23/15
    4. Always use a checklist - and always blow/suck the mushrooms prior to assembly
    5. Battling a current I'd try to be as horizontal as possible; that said, I might be a little head down if struggling hard
    6. Didn't uplink the unit to grab the logs so the 50m dive was overwritten : (

Incidentally I have FMCLs.

And have started a diet : (
    Last edited by delta-v; 23rd December 2014 at 20:32. Reason: typo

Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by gallathan  View Original Post
    So I attended a lecture at Eurotek 2014 that was REALLY interesting/informative about gas density...

I'd really like some feedback / CONSTRUCTIVE critcism...

Merry Christmas
    This is great, thanks! But I/we will need some time to understand it and get back to you with any comments : )

Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    Just to ad to this list, do you sterilise your loop often? There were a number of threads posted regarding the rate of sterilising your loop and failure of the mushroom valves with some CCR's. I'm not sure if a definitive link or reason was established though.

Cathal
    I live and dive in a climate that is hot and humid for most of the year. From the beginning I felt AP's recommended schedule of sterilisation every six hours of diving was not suited to my local conditions.

I also questioned the prescribed dilution of Buddy Clean because I felt a couple of squirts of 100:1 would not be enough. I now mix 50:1 and dose exactly five generous squirts into each lung. The mouthpiece gets a couple, and each side of the hose gets two apiece. The unit is then filled with water prior to draining.

Every six hours of diving, I will let this sit for 10 minutes before draining.

The unit is then flushed with clean water, and allowed to air dry for at least 48 hours in an open state (this part is always tricky as I share my habitat with a couple of inquisitive felines - I'm considering designing a protective cage for the unit!)

I never reassemble until the night before the dive. For storage in-between the hose mouths get covered, as does the head and any other openings to prevent insects making a home, but essentially airflow is not restricted.

Unit always feels fresh, dry and clean when I reassemble.
    Last edited by delta-v; 23rd December 2014 at 20:16. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast