+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

RBW Member Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

Quote Originally Posted by sierra  View Original Post
    Hi Larry, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I made the switch to silicone grease when MP sent out that advisory. And I always do the bounce test.

I used the unit AS-IS for a dive an hour later with no issues, but much less current : )

CO2 pass-thru can't be ruled out - there's a lot that can't be ruled out! - but if my assembly was poor then I'd be getting hit more frequently.
    No problem just thought I'd float it out there. My only other thought is do you have access to a CO2 sensor? If nothing else it could rule out assembly or bypass issues which then may point you towards other causes such as CO2 retention or a physical issue. I don't know what lungs you have but I switched to BMCL's, and certainly found they were far more sensitive to my trim, especially if I started working harder.

Cheers
    Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBW Member Diving Pete is on a distinguished road Diving Pete is on a distinguished road Diving Pete's Avatar
    Modified Inspro

Double Vision

Re: Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

I had a while ago 'an issue' at 50m.

We dropped fairly quickly into strong current & within 8 minutes had to stop
    as head was spinning..

Stopped, held on to wreck & was fine in a couple of minutes.. so carried on dive...

I initially thought I was overworking the scrubber - but after the dive was over I went through the whole box...
    Nothing obvious was wrong - but changed both of the mouthpiece mushroom valves anyway & have never had the problem since.

My gut feel is that these were the issue & didn't show up on predive checks.

BTW - I am fairly fit ...

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Diving Pete  View Original Post
    I had a while ago 'an issue' at 50m.

We dropped fairly quickly into strong current & within 8 minutes had to stop
    as head was spinning..

Stopped, held on to wreck & was fine in a couple of minutes.. so carried on dive...

I initially thought I was overworking the scrubber - but after the dive was over I went through the whole box...
    Nothing obvious was wrong - but changed both of the mouthpiece mushroom valves anyway & have never had the problem since.

My gut feel is that these were the issue & didn't show up on predive checks.

BTW - I am fairly fit ...

Hello DP, methinks you might have hit the nail right on the head.

What is the APD recommended interval for replacement of the mushrooms? -Andy

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

Its great to see a constructive conversation taking place. Thanks for all of the great input by everyone.

RBW Member Tetis is an unknown quantity at this point Tetis's Avatar
    Inspiration

Thanks for sharing.
    If I may, I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is your unit modified in any way?
    2. Which sorb do you use?
    3. Do you remember which dill. you where using on the 50m dive?
    4. Do you use a checklist? if so, where the mushroom valves opperational?
    5. What is your posture during a dive? vertical? horizontal? head down?
    6. Could you share the dive log files?

And yes, getting In shape is always great..

Curious.

Bryan

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by Tetis  View Original Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    If I may, I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Is your unit modified in any way?
    2. Which sorb do you use?
    3. Do you remember which dill. you where using on the 50m dive?
    4. Do you use a checklist? if so, where the mushroom valves opperational?
    5. What is your posture during a dive? vertical? horizontal? head down?
    6. Could you share the dive log files?

And yes, getting In shape is always great..

Curious.

Bryan
    Just to ad to this list, do you sterilise your loop often? There were a number of threads posted regarding the rate of sterilising your loop and failure of the mushroom valves with some CCR's. I'm not sure if a definitive link or reason was established though.

Cathal

RBW Member mdma946552 is an unknown quantity at this point mdma946552's Avatar
    inspo clasic

[QUOTE=Larry0428;462667]No problem just thought I'd float it out there. My only other thought is do you have access to a CO2 sensor? If nothing else it could rule out assembly or bypass issues which then may point you towards other causes such as CO2 retention or a physical issue. I don't know what lungs you have but I switched to BMCL's, and certainly found they were far more sensitive to my trim, especially if I started working harder.

Cheers
    Larry
    so using silicon grease so close to pure o2 is no problem?

RBW Member mdma946552 is an unknown quantity at this point mdma946552's Avatar
    inspo clasic

Talking Re: Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

j i am making a mess here sorry,of topic to sorry again.but i was sure o2 and silicon will explode no?and on topic, i lost 25 kg and never felt better in my live also my sac drop to under 9 liter per minute not neseserely related but good against co2 production

still learning... gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan's Avatar

So I attended a lecture at Eurotek 2014 that was REALLY interesting/informative about gas density. In the lecture Gavin Anthony suggested some upper and lower limits for gas density based on research done at Qinetiq over the last 20 years. I've put about a months worth of work in to a spreadsheet full of formulas to try and work out the optimum gas mixes for a given PO2, END and gas density.
    (actually my wife Lynn did the maths).
    Rough conclusion(s) - if you focus on gas density - the EAD / END will take care of itself in MOST circumstances. Note, the EAD/END for the optimum density mixes are quite a bit LOWER than the usual EAD/END people routinely choose…

Heliair diluents are convenient, but not really optimal for deeper diving.

In the spirit of sharing information, please find the spreadsheet attached. Please understand, I'm an amateur, so there may be/will be numerous mistakes etc in the spreadsheet, I'd strongly recommend adjusting the input parameters PO2 DILUENT DESIRED (BAR)
    HIGH SET POINT DESIRED (BAR)
    PO2 BAILOUT DESIRED (BAR)
    EAD / END (m)
    And I'd strongly recommend you do your own calculations.

Note, this spreadsheet calcs / takes account of differences between diluent and loop gas for ccr, and I also wanted to calculate the ideal bailout gas

MY concept of ISO NARCOTIC is its a deep, dark, scary dive and I want to bail out on something that’s NO MORE / SAME NARCOTIC LEVEL AS loop gas.
    OR
    Its a Strong current / hard work dive / CO2 Hit, and I want to bail out on something that’s as EASY / NO MORE DIFFICULT TO BREATH as loop gas, this is my concept of ISO DENSITY.

Its possible to bail out onto a HIGHER He mix, that will just cost you more for the mix financially, and in deco terms (potentially)…

I'm surprised how close the ISO NARCOTIC and ISO DENSE mixes are.

I've also considered IBCD for these mix calcs - in simple terms its NOT an issue for the initial bailout mixes, you'll have to do your own calcs for subsequent gas changes, but there are a couple of basic tabs at the end to help with that too...

I'd really like some feedback / CONSTRUCTIVE critcism...

Merry Christmas
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gallathan; 22nd December 2014 at 20:03.

RBW Member Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Two C02 hits - time to get fit?

Quote Originally Posted by mdma946552  View Original Post
    j i am making a mess here sorry,of topic to sorry again.but i was sure o2 and silicon will explode no?and on topic, i lost 25 kg and never felt better in my live also my sac drop to under 9 liter per minute not neseserely related but good against co2 production
    Hi mdma946552, silicone grease is only a problem when in contact with high pressure O2. It is used to lubricate all of the low pressure O rings in my loop. The advice to use silicone on the scrubber O ring in the Inspo came directly from Martin Parker of AP Diving.

Cheers
    Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast