+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: APOC - Dive Reports & Exploration Activities

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

APOC - Dive Reports & Exploration Activities

With all of the "noise" that seems to be getting created around the my toy is the best and yours SUCKS... It seems to me that one of the things that is not getting a lot of airplay has to do with dive reports from people using the APOC and or other OS/DL products.

We regularly see both recreational and expedition dive reports from folks that are using Megs, AP CCRs, rEvos, HH, Optimas, Boris and even the KISS Sidekick... (Sorry if I missed anybody) While as you so regularly point out, none of these units are perfect but lots of great stuff is being done with them. I would even point out that there may be more APOC's out there than KISS Sidekicks but there are some out there being used for some pretty cool stuff!

There is no question that despite the Chevy, Ford, Mopar debates that are going on regularly, they are all being used for great stuff...

So Brad, can you start this off for us? While you may not personally be doing any exploration dives etc... Are there any other dive reports that can be shared where people are just out there doing their thing and having a great time! I am sure that you can lead us on a "positive" conversation here.... I am also sure that you would know who is doing cool stuff with the rig and can convince them to share some stories about dives and exploration projects where it's being used...

Dive Safe!!

Mark

John H Hanzl johnnyh is an unknown quantity at this point johnnyh's Avatar
    rEvo Micro III

Sentinel Expedition Travel

+1
    John Hanzl

Author, Out of Hell's Kitchen
    www.outofhellskitchen.com

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Re: APOC - Dive Reports & Exploration Activities

Yes that should be fun ,

but lets not bother posting stunt dives by pim van rivet , / trainer trainer types ,

or PDF,s

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

I've got 2 Apoc's. One that was delivered April 2011. and one that was delivered September 2013.
    The early one was ordered as an O2 unit and was always intended to have PO2 monitoring from Narked@90, the 2013 unit was originally ordered as an iCCR by someone else, and I purchased it off them whilst they were still waiting for it to be delivered, this was then converted to a mCCR order with a Narked@90 pod as a factory option.
    The second unit was purchased because the price of spares was rising and it seemed the cheapest way to have spares. It is still in the box and undived (and still has all it's parts)
    I've dived the Apoc a reasonable amount, It is my go to unit for dives less than 2hrs and no deeper than 60m (I've got a rEvo 2 as well). I've had it to 58m and being so early it's had a couple of replacement parts (1st stages had the seats replaced with the ones that are now on new units, O2 add button replaced, and new style ALBOV purge button) that were all done FOC.
    Other than that the only other failure has been one of the P-Ports which was also replaced FOC.
    Mark Chase has also dived it (without breaking it!) and hopefully when he gets some free time will be posting up his "review".
    Rather than try and cover everything, I'm happy to answer sensible questions.

Simon A

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    I've got 2 Apoc's. One that was delivered April 2011. and one that was delivered September 2013.
    The early one was ordered as an O2 unit and was always intended to have PO2 monitoring from Narked@90, the 2013 unit was originally ordered as an iCCR by someone else, and I purchased it off them whilst they were still waiting for it to be delivered, this was then converted to a mCCR order with a Narked@90 pod as a factory option.
    The second unit was purchased because the price of spares was rising and it seemed the cheapest way to have spares. It is still in the box and undived (and still has all it's parts)
    I've dived the Apoc a reasonable amount, It is my go to unit for dives less than 2hrs and no deeper than 60m (I've got a rEvo 2 as well). I've had it to 58m and being so early it's had a couple of replacement parts (1st stages had the seats replaced with the ones that are now on new units, O2 add button replaced, and new style ALBOV purge button) that were all done FOC.
    Other than that the only other failure has been one of the P-Ports which was also replaced FOC.
    Mark Chase has also dived it (without breaking it!) and hopefully when he gets some free time will be posting up his "review".
    Rather than try and cover everything, I'm happy to answer sensible questions.

Simon A

In two weeks time I hope work will go from manic to just busy and ill do the write up.

Sufice as to say its not a bad unit to dive. It has some neet design ideas and some naff bits but its generaly nice to dive.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member larry_berlin will become famous soon enough larry_berlin will become famous soon enough larry_berlin will become famous soon enough larry_berlin's Avatar
    APOC IV

I've got also 2 Apoc's. One that was delivered summer 2011 and one that was delivered spring 2014.
    The early one was ordered as an O2 unit and was always intended to have additional PO2 monitoring. the second unit was ordered as an iCCR by same time then the first (EA). At time of ordering I had also in mind the two units are able to give spare parts, the pricing was great at this time.
    The second unit is still in the box and undived (and still has all it's parts).

I've dived the Apoc a reasonable amount in mCCR mode. I've had it maximal to 65m on wreck diving and being so early it's had a couple of replacement parts (O2 add button and coaxial hose replaced, new style ALBOV purge button) that were all done FOC (except shipping costs).

The unit is great in prepairing, maintenance (fast, relaible and simple) and diving.

Nethertheless I dive a homebuilt by now due to personal circumstances, but using the APOC ALVBOV on it, because I love it (WOB, functionality, relaibilty). Some people claim the resticted possibilty to move/turn the head, but for me it's no problem, I just turn my body a little bit.

Apologies for the poor english (and copying some parts of sentences of SIMON_A), hope you got it.

Best regards
    Larry

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    So Brad, can you start this off for us? While you may not personally be doing any exploration dives etc... Are there any other dive reports that can be shared where people are just out there doing their thing and having a great time!

Any reason you didn't post your own dive reports? What has been your experience?

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

this thread will be interesting ..............

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Any reason you didn't post your own dive reports? What has been your experience?

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken,

Thanks for asking... Let me be fully transparent on this... I think that Brad specifically and "the other guy" before he was banned from most lists have made hay by bashing other units and bragging about the "testing data" of their unit are scu()#*&*$ of the earth for the negativism that they are spreading in this industry.

By creating this thread my hope was to flush out the following....

1) What dives are really being done on this unit that has lots of PDF documents on test data out there? Is it being use by divers regularly but we simply are not hearing about it due to the noise and negativism created by the two people are attempting world domination with the unit(s).

2) When it comes to people that are doing "big" dives, high profile stuff and exploration, a very wide range of units are being used out there without a lot of fanfare... I wanted to give Brad an opportunity to publicize things like this "if" they were taking place since that's the kind of stuff that people are really interested in hearing about...

3) So to the question that you asked... It is not my style to "bash people or units" and I don't like Brad's approach and style. This is why I have not commented about my experiences... I agree with Mark Chase's comments about the unit in general. I have had some issues with the unit. "Most" of them have been addressed but not all... I would not dive the unit stock the way they deliver it since I don't believe in their philosophy when it comes to diving etc... One of my main attractions to the unit is the use of an EAC. In the long run I do believe that is a better solution than kitty litter... I do not dive the unit very often since it was not until within the last several weeks that I have finally gotten replacement parts for one of the two main issues I have had with the unit... The other issue they gave lipservice about having a solution for but to my knowledge it's still just a "PDF"... While I like the BMCL and the low WOB, the unit is insanely wide and is not something that I would use to for cave diving or deep etc wreck diving.... While the case is great and robust, I would not say that is the case for some other parts of the unit. In the long run I think there "may" be some issues around it standing up to the wear and tear of typical wreck/cave diving..

I do have both Shearwater and HH electronics that I can use interchangeably for PPO2 monitoring...

Back on the diving part of it... Yes it's fun to dive... Personally I don't think I will do any big dives on the unit or put a huge amount of time on it... I don't believe in the iCCR philosophy of the unit automatically deciding when I should bail out etc... Further I don't don't at all like the company's style etc... I don't see their style changing anytime soon so I don't see me investing time with them for that reason...

I think it will be interesting to see if anyone in the diving community is "invested" with them and doing leading edge stuff... I think we are all looking to see if who comes out of the woodwork...

So Brad.... Here is an opportunity to get some great positive press out there for the unit if there is news to share.... Maybe you have some cool exploration dives that you can share with us that your doing on the unit....

BTW... Big thank you to those guys that have come out of the shadows to share their perspective!

Dive Safe!

Mark
    Last edited by diverklondike; 17th November 2014 at 19:44.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Thank you for trying to put a positive spin on something. Bashing must be so easy as it is done too frequently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast