+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dahab/Sharm Nov/Dec

Probably sleeping Dr.Yen is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Yen's Avatar
    PELAGIAN

Dahab/Sharm Nov/Dec

I'm heading to Sinai for a month between end of Nov and end of Dec for a spot of CCR diving, mainly around Dahab.

1) Is anyone around who wants to do some diving and/or bulk buy some sorb?

2) Where's good to go to get support (ie: fills, sorb)? Is it worth me bringing my own tanks or rent for a month?

Thanks

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

Re: Dahab/Sharm Nov/Dec

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Yen  View Original Post
    I'm heading to Sinai for a month between end of Nov and end of Dec for a spot of CCR diving, mainly around Dahab.

1) Is anyone around who wants to do some diving and/or bulk buy some sorb?

2) Where's good to go to get support (ie: fills, sorb)? Is it worth me bringing my own tanks or rent for a month?

Thanks
    the blue immersion in dahab can sort out with tanks, sorb fills, dives etc. you will need a local guide to do ANY diving at all. there is some law and a pass you need. it makes it quite pricey in the end.

PELAGIAN

I've heard that, but I was wondering how enforced it is. There are miles of coastline so other than the shops themselves refusing to support independent divers to protect their revenues, I wonder how realistic it is to have someone on watch at every site, especially with the current events. I was last there during the Mubarak affair and it was a free for all shambles, except for the one checkpoint on the way to the blue hole...
    I'm definitely not paying shop prices for a whole month, I may have to dig a tunnel out to sea, Gaza-style!

Meg Apecs/SW

I was there last year in august. other than the one checkpoint, we got checked once when doing a dive right off in front of the shops there - yalla bar. good luck if you can get around it. but yeah, shops wont support you at all, unless you find someone dodgy I guess

PELAGIAN

That's ridiculous. I already invested thousands on my unit, kit and training so I could be self reliant and have the freedom do my own thing. Why would I want to pay someone €95 to hold my hand on a dive?

RBW Member LeCrabe is an unknown quantity at this point LeCrabe's Avatar
    rEvo III mCCR mini titanium

That's ridiculous. I already invested thousands on my unit, kit and training so I could be self reliant and have the freedom do my own thing. Why would I want to pay someone €95 to hold my hand on a dive?
    I know a bit dahab since I went there a few times and yes you will need a guide-
    They do not like when people (qualified or not) go on their own.
    There have been in the past WWWWAAAAYYYY too much fools coming to kill themselves in dahab. The blue hole being a favorite of these wanabee bungee jumpers.
    A piece of advice : if you dive there even technically do not neglect the canyon and even better the underated sites on the south around the so called golden blocks.
    Enjoy, I envy you you are going to have a good time
    PS: Go for a technical dive club (recreationnaly the diving in the red sea stops at 40m)
    PS2: If I was you I would avoid the kebab rolls at the bar near the blue hole...hehe...
    PS3: I noticed it is my hundredth post, where do we ask for a free beer?

Meg Apecs/SW

I completely agree with you, but it doesnt change it does it?
    The guy above me had it right. Its for the average idiot who kills himself and gives the area a bad name.

you will likely have trouble just getting gas, an example of why;
    a guy died in the blue hole, turns out he got his back gas from one shop, some deco from another shop (lying about it), used another shop to get thru the checkpoint and then died going to the bottom of the blue hole. most shops dont want to be associated with someone they not only dont know but, didnt train. why would they risk it for you? an unknown quantity.

Sorry if these are hardsh truths, I wish you all the best, i'm just trying to warn you.

PELAGIAN

You are preaching to the choir, I am 100% with you on that. But the divers who have to be fished out of the bottom of the blue hole are numpties that do it on singles, on air and without training.
    Sure, a few tekkies have kicked the bucket in there too, but that comes with the turf in a hugely popular site where record attempts are made and that's accessible from shore. Then when it happens to a tekkie it *really* doesn't look good for the shop who supported them. Do they grovel over it and take the blame? Of course not, because it was a trained grown-ass adult who chose to do the dive. If you can see a way this is any different from any trained grown-ass adult doing it without going through a shop, I'm all ears.

There is a way to make it safe: close the site and ban all diving there. No more accidents and no more bad rep, no shop needs to be associated with an accident. Oh wait, that means no more business too...
    Sounds to me like a "you can take the risk if you pay the fee" deal.

You're right, things won't change. But note all this time I never mentioned wanting the dive the Hole on my own

Yen

+ Reply to Thread