+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Riggin to Doubles

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Re: Riggin to Doubles

I vote to close this post.

The original poster has been advised against this idea (rightfully so) and should get some formal training in RB diving first, then come back to the forum with educated questions.

The back and forth on this one is just banter and bandwidth with no real purpose at this point.

Still Searching matt_reed is an unknown quantity at this point matt_reed's Avatar
    Pelagian

To the OP, you'd probably get more positive responses to your thoughts on the Pelagian FB group where you'll find Mark Ellyatt who has definitely dived the doubles config you are considering, and there's several other guys there who have experimented with different configs including a double pelagian using 1 set of FMCL and 1 set of BMCL, and I believe all gas on the back.

You don't need doubles when you can take 2 CCRs!

I have had the Pelagian for over 6yrs and did consider double 7ls on the back as Dil. But I decided to dive for 100hrs in the standard config before making too many changes and have never ended up doing that, now after about 800hrs.

I dive up to 125m and have never really felt the need to more than 3x 11l as bailout. For those kind of dives and for serious cave dives you can plan it well enough that you don't need to wear the doubles on your back like that. If I had to go OC at depth I wouldn't want doubles full of Dil anyway, I'd want intermediate gases with better mixes to get me off gassing more effectively. Doubles of dil is just a shit load of dil for no real reason.

The long hose on the CCR like GUE is pushing seems unnecessary as well. If each CCR diver carries their own bailout then the chances of having to share bailout are almost zero.

Like the guys have said over, learn the CCR, dive it a bit, then figure out if you need to change anything to achieve you dive objectives...you probably wont.

RBW Member Mike Guerrero is an unknown quantity at this point Mike Guerrero's Avatar
    none

Thanks Matt, I appreciate getting some insight from someone who dives the unit.

Looks like I will have to rob two banks to get two CCRs :).

I supposed doubles is just a comfort and familiarity thing for me at this point since I haven't been on a RB. And it could very well change once I start diving it as you've mentioned.

For the long hose thing, the perspective is more toward mixed team diving. I don't expect to exclusively dive with CC people (it would probably be the exception for me actually since I move around so much), so having a rig that is familiar to an OC guy and that can support that kind of contingency matters to me. Fully agree that self-reliance should be first course of action and expected response regardless, but sometimes things go really bad :).

Thanks again for the input.

Still Searching matt_reed is an unknown quantity at this point matt_reed's Avatar
    Pelagian

No worries Mike, happy to field any unit specific questions you might have.

I still dive OC a lot due to teaching and that was always one of the attractive things about the Pelagian with the valves mounted upwards, keeps it simialr to doubles for valves shut downs etc...amongst other great things about the unit.

I also dive mixed team a lot, but given the choice it makes a lot more sense to aim to dive with CCR divers as you then really get to maximize the benefits of the CCR(as well as not listening to their bubble noise) - another things you figure out once you've got comfortable on the unit and have a few dives under your belt.

Cheers,

Matt.

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Mike,

My 2 cents, is your trying to fix a problem that does not exist, with a configuration way out in left field.

Dive it normally, get the fundamentals down, then experiment.
    Monkey Diver Inc.
    Monkey Diver Travel Inc.
    http://www.monkeydiver.com

RBW Member Ueli Werner is an unknown quantity at this point Ueli Werner's Avatar
    Pelagian

PM sent

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    I vote to close this post.

The original poster has been advised against this idea (rightfully so) and should get some formal training in RB diving first, then come back to the forum with educated questions.

The back and forth on this one is just banter and bandwidth with no real purpose at this point.

Very useful as a carried bail out option on dives to over 150m, you use basically hardly any dil. You also have an extra post where you attach a long hose to donate OC bottom gas to a team member in trouble. Ultimate bailout, just switch BOV and you have virtually a full twin set to ascend to a depth when you can change to sidemount carried bailout tanks....its just another option to add extra safety on deep CCR dives. You want to close a post on a "discussion" forum just because you don't understand something!! Weird!

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

[QUOTE=Rod Abbotson;You want to close a post on a "discussion" forum just because you don't understand something!! Weird!]

Never said I didn't understand it, it's just bad idea as has been pointed out by many so far. Go back from the start of the original post and read the comments from others. I find it very hard to believe anyone would train using this thought process. To each his own however...

I didn't even mention task-loading... understand that point?

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

[QUOTE=whynot?;476991]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Abbotson;You want to close a post on a "discussion" forum just because you don't understand something!! Weird!

Never said I didn't understand it, it's just bad idea as has been pointed out by many so far. Go back from the start of the original post and read the comments from others. I find it very hard to believe anyone would train using this thought process. To each his own however...

I didn't even mention task-loading... understand that point?

Quite a few people are backmounting large amounts of bottom dil/bailout and then slinging or sidemounting their deco gases. GUE teaches this way on the JJ and others have rigged their Megs this way and were taught in this configuration by Leon himself. Usually using LP50s with the LOLA manifold, in a different frame (not plain doubles bands) that allows the scrubber to sit closer to the back.

On the one hand it carries are large amount of bailout (more than an AL80) while keeping your side(s) free for deco gases. On the other hand it makes for a heavy beast on land and the boat.

RBW Member Mike Guerrero is an unknown quantity at this point Mike Guerrero's Avatar
    none

Haven't seen this thread in a while.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the Pel due to lack of bank-rob'd funds and moving even deeper inland...much to my chagrin.

Anyway, I think sufficient evidence has been supplied to demonstrate that diving a Pel w/ LP 50s or 85s (filled to 3600 psi of course) with diluent is a sound strategy. This way, you simply turn the BOV on--by the way, some rebreathers, like the Pel, actually equip their BOVs with a reg that breathes well--and you're on your BO gas in suitably sized tanks (not those useless 20 or 30 cu ft ones) without having to worry about being able to catch your breath from a CO2 hit before you bleed down that tiny tank, which goes quite fast at depth, and have to try and switch to side-slung tanks while still hyperventilating at depth, stressed, etc.--is that turned on, am I scootering, am I still out of breath from the CO2 hit?

Deco gasses/O2 are off-board, and fed into the loop via needle valve so there's a constant flow, not too much to tox, not too little to die. Wow, this is so familiar because I have hundreds of dives on this exact same setup w/ backgas on my back and deco/O2 side slung on the left.

Would I rather carry a tiny bottle of dil and O2 on my back and then sidemount my BO gasses while on a boat pitching in the waves, trying to make my graceful entrance into cold Atlantic or north Pacific water? No thanks.

...where's the damn flame emoji?????
    Last edited by Mike Guerrero; 15th October 2016 at 04:42.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5