+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: when are you an expert in ccr diving?

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

when are you an expert in ccr diving?

According to this thread: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=49739 there is written about the 'AD-list'.

On that list, there is written: novice, expert, intermediate, etc.
    But when are you an expert in ccr diving? Is that when you have done a mod3 course? or when you have 100 hours?
    To become instructor you must have 100 hours, for a mod3 course 50. Of course the real amount of hours can never be checked, but can you say you have an experienced diver when you have done 50 hours and passed your mod3 course?
    But what would you use to say you have an expert or an novice diver on ccr?
    Let's say, a diver dies on a 330ft dive, he has done 100 hours on ccr and this was his 5th dive to 330ft. Is he expert?
    If a diver dies on a 25m dive and has done 50 hours, is he an expert? or must he have 150 hours? or more?

RBW Member jale is on a distinguished road jale is on a distinguished road jale's Avatar
    Sidekick, Joki, Flex, HH, C96

Re: when are you an expert in ccr diving?

"expert" like "expedition" and a lot more are examples of words which have lost their initial meaning

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

All classifications and certifications are nonsense.

An Ex is a has-been, a Spirt is a drip under pressure, not sure you ever want to be a "Expert"

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

My attitude:

I am never an expert because there is always somebody else out there who knows more than I do.

claudia

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

The day I consider myself to be an expert on a rebreather is the day I become a true danger to myself. Because that's the day I no longer feel the need to try and pay attention, to learn something every dive and to second and third guess the problems that may come along.

I hope I never become an expert rebreather diver.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

Being an expert has many different meanings. Gear experts may be shitty divers and one of the last people you ever want on your expedition team, but they may build the best gear in the world. This is normal in most engineering type fields, you don't generally see aerospace engineers as fighter pilots, or vice versa. Both are experts in aerospace, but one is a design expert, the other is a flying expert.

In scuba it's a little different. Are the leading experts in cave diving the same experts that you want to take in deep wreck expedition? Edd Sorenson is truly a cave diving expert, but he's not the guy I'd chose to go explore a 300ft wreck, or a deep cave in Scandinavia. That isn't his field, and would be unfair to assume that being an expert transfers over.

In CCR, are you asking about an expert on a specific unit or in general? Does having a unit for 100 hours but never having any failures make you more of an expert than someone with 10 hours but has experienced and recovered from multiple failures? That's the question that has to be asked. I'd argue that a diver with less hours but has experienced and recovered from more failures would be more of an expert than one who has many times more hours but has never had any issues. I think it is also up to the individual diver and how their brain works. If you have someone who is going to obsess about all of the intricacies of their unit and simulates failures on a regular basis and truly understands the how and why every little thing in their breather works, then they are probably more of an expert than a guy who just goes out and dives. Knows what was taught to him in the class, but doesn't go out of his way to delve fully into the unit.

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    My attitude:

I am never an expert because there is always somebody else out there who knows more than I do.

claudia
    Well said.

RBW Member Laurent Lavoye is an unknown quantity at this point Laurent Lavoye's Avatar
    KISS & Poseidon

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    My attitude:

claudia
    Agree 100%...
    I might become knowledgeable, but will never be an expert.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

whan your on AD,s list ,

RBW Member Franck13 is an unknown quantity at this point Franck13's Avatar
    Vision Inspiration all options

kiss poseidon lard ....

Wink Re: when are you an expert in ccr diving?

Quote Originally Posted by taliena  View Original Post
    According to this thread: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=49739 there is written about the 'AD-list'.

On that list, there is written: novice, expert, intermediate, etc.
    But when are you an expert in ccr diving? Is that when you have done a mod3 course? or when you have 100 hours?
    To become instructor you must have 100 hours, for a mod3 course 50. Of course the real amount of hours can never be checked, but can you say you have an experienced diver when you have done 50 hours and passed your mod3 course?
    But what would you use to say you have an expert or an novice diver on ccr?
    Let's say, a diver dies on a 330ft dive, he has done 100 hours on ccr and this was his 5th dive to 330ft. Is he expert?
    If a diver dies on a 25m dive and has done 50 hours, is he an expert? or must he have 150 hours? or more?
    in ccr cave? ccr wreck? or ccr classic?

i'm again a student but i believe that in ccr cave when you need no more arian thread or of marker to direct you, in ccr wreck when you manage to visit the wreck completely ,in classic ccr when you can really exceed 33 feets

Franck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast