+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The future of O2 storage?

RBW Member Andyoak is an unknown quantity at this point Andyoak's Avatar
    Poseidon Mkvi

The future of O2 storage?

Another great potential is for getting pure O2 for the breather in remote locations.

I also read it will release the O2 into a near vacuum; so (in simplistic terms)

A) take a sheet of the stuff and wave it around to absorb O2

B) stuff said sheet into a vacuum canister

C) Apply suction to draw off O2

D) boost O2 into breather

E) fill Dil with regular compressor

F) go diving

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Also remove the risk for O2 explosions due to high pressure?

RBW Member MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent's Avatar
    rEvo micro FT

Quote Originally Posted by Nicool  View Original Post
    Also remove the risk for O2 explosions due to high pressure?
    Doesn't make any sense when you look at the physical requirements.

1 hour of O2 for me is 30 bar in a 3 litre cylinder. Which means it's a total of 90 litres of O2. Even without the added bulk of the crystals this means a total of 90L displacement at 1 bar, requiring approximately 90kg of lead (give or take) to get me under the surface. Lead or gold back plate maybe?

RBW Member moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund is a glorious beacon of light moribund's Avatar
    Oxygen Rebreather

RG/U-FM mCCR

Re: The future of O2 storage?

Quote Originally Posted by MeRodent  View Original Post
    Doesn't make any sense when you look at the physical requirements.

1 hour of O2 for me is 30 bar in a 3 litre cylinder. Which means it's a total of 90 litres of O2. Even without the added bulk of the crystals this means a total of 90L displacement at 1 bar, requiring approximately 90kg of lead (give or take) to get me under the surface. Lead or gold back plate maybe?
    Interesting thought process, but you really need to consider the physics of liquid O2, which, BTW, has been used in Rebreather technology, all the way to solid O2--which may be hard to fathom.

Also consider jumping into a time machine with a green laser pointer and appearing somewhere in the middle ages. After you and I are long dead, RB technology will be so advanced as to, as AC Clarke put it...be indistinguishable from magic.

RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

New thought
    Only 2 things that affect chemical change are heat and pressure. What about pressure. It will change the Characteristics catalyst.

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moribund  View Original Post
    Apparently, just a spoonful of the stuff can suck up all the oxygen in a room.
    There was quite an error in that statement...they have now revised it so to say:

"A bucket full (10 litres) of the material is enough to suck up all the oxygen in a room"

New material steals oxygen from air

These kinds of ideas have been around for a long time, and there are various materials that can reversibly bind oxygen from air, usually they all come with "just a few problems" that remain to be solved.

Here's a Swedish Company that has been working on something similar for quite some time:

Inhalox Technology AB Home

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2