+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G'day. Starting research

Film Maker peterbucknell is an unknown quantity at this point peterbucknell's Avatar
    rEvo micro RMS NERD

Thumbs up G'day. Starting research

G'day everyone.

I'm going to be doing lots of reading on this forum over the coming months,
    trying to get assimilated to the basic idea of CCR diving
    before choosing a unit and starting training in 2015.

About me:
    I'm a film maker, both underwater and on land (Youtube channel)
    Lately I've been teaching an Underwater GoPro course in New York City which I wrote in mid 2014.
    So if anyone has any questions about the GoPro, I'm happy to answer on the FB group.

I only have 600 dives, but most of them working (video)
    I feel like I'm settled enough to start taking on the new skills required for CCR diving, but who knows?
    Why?
    I'm interested in CCR diving so I can use less helium, get close to the critters,
    and I'd like to be able to stay longer.

Fears:
    • I am concerned that the task loading's effect on my safety on a rebreather
    • Traveling: I guess I'll have to read people's tips
    • Switching back to OC to teach UW video and OW students in the pool
    • I'm a sidemount Cave Diver...

Here's a fun video from the last cave trip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHt...dCzt6OJ7V__FEg

Andy Favata CCR-Wrecker has a spectacular aura about CCR-Wrecker has a spectacular aura about CCR-Wrecker has a spectacular aura about CCR-Wrecker has a spectacular aura about CCR-Wrecker has a spectacular aura about CCR-Wrecker's Avatar
    rEvo

Inspiration, Kiss classic

Re: G'day. Starting research

Welcome Pete!

I hope your research ends with you diving a RB that you love!

Best,
    Andy

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Hi Pete,
    Most units these day come with a HUD (heads up display), some now even have heads up computers which would be ace for video/filming, every one will have there own personal favourite, so you need to look at ones that will suit your own requirements, eg easy to travel with etc if you do lots of traveling. As for swapping back and forth lots of people do (I have only done it once in 10years - when I had to bail out, so doesn't really count).
    Why would you have to swop about when teaching video courses?
    I understand when teaching diving courses!
    Good luck in you research.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Regards
    Baz

RBW Member catalina_mike is an unknown quantity at this point catalina_mike's Avatar
    Evolution+

Classic Inspo

Great video you make it fun for sure. Get a ECCR unit to help with the task loading potential. It's easy to get distracted trying to get the shot. You can find cheaper units without all the goodies but you get what you pay for.

Welcome to the forum....

RBW Member Venomguy is an unknown quantity at this point Venomguy's Avatar

Here are some key attributes to look for in a CCR for dedicated photography.

-Hybrid ECCR/MCCR unit
    -Back mounted counterlungs
    -unit thats light and easy for travel
    -unit that is easy to maintain. (you already have camera gear to prep each dive and the last thing you want is a CCR that is complex to maintain pre & post dives.
    -unit that does not have T pieces on the counterlungs. T pieces and front mounted counter lungs restrict head movement and are a PIA for a photographer.
    -unit that can be self maintained on remote trips
    - Sorb usage, when traveling Sorb can be very expensive , some places charge as high as USD 20 per pound ($40 per kg) for Sorb so a 2 week trip diving each day can be expensive.

above are just a few points to look at based on photography ,

have fun
    Andrew

Film Maker peterbucknell is an unknown quantity at this point peterbucknell's Avatar
    rEvo micro RMS NERD

Thanks Guys,

Research went well.
    Have found the CCR community super helpful and positive.
    I'm in Brussels this Month, and am going to drop into the rEvo factory and talk about the NERD which has been suggested to me by several video guys and girls.
    (Here's the manual if anyone reading this is interested).

I start training in March, and planning on a trip to Bonaire in April to put some miles on the unit, and maybe think about picking up the camera once I've developed the right habits.

Hope to dive with you guys and perhaps even film you at some point .

Pete

Enjoying the silence Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Kiss Sport

Welcome to the group.

rEvo micro RMS NERD

Thumbs up The rEvo Factory in Brugge

The visit to Brugge to drop in to the rEvo factory was worth the short trip from Brussels (where I'm working this Month).
    Paul made himself available for some Q & A.
    I asked him about tax and delivery. Looks like we get a good deal in the states. No VAT.
    Photo Link here>

We chatted a bit about videography, the NERD...
    He was interested to see the cover plate that Erik Dasque is making for me:
    Photo Link Here>

After a quick look at the Military Specs Unit in the entrance hall:
    Photo Link Here>

the business manager, Pieter, a rEvo diver himself, showed me around the factory, the different size units, having a look and feel of the carbon-fibre tanks which really are amazingly super light-weight, and then trying on the micro.
    Photo Link Here>

Interesting to see the expedition model of the Micro with a bit of extra lung volume space built in to the titanium frame. Good for large lunged divers.

Had lunch with Pieter and chatted about diving the unit, training some of the similarities between North East Atlantic wreck diving and his local diving...

Placing an order soon.
    Last edited by peterbucknell; 25th December 2014 at 11:56.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Nice write Up ! Nice to see You enjoyed the visit, it's what made me decide to go for rEvo ( beside some other facts)
    Enjoy your training.

Greetings,

David.

Sent by my scrubber using a rEvodream

RBW Member oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya's Avatar
    Meg Apecs

KISS Classic

Re: The rEvo Factory in Brugge

Quote Originally Posted by peterbucknell  View Original Post
    He was interested to see the cover plate that Erik Dasque is making for me:
    Photo Link Here>
    What kind of an utter jackass orders a cover before a rebreather?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast