+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good CCR-friendly places in the tropics to spend a few months?

Probably sleeping Dr.Yen is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Yen's Avatar
    PELAGIAN

Re: Good CCR-friendly places in the tropics to spend a few months?

Wow Andy, that's some great info, thanks! I'd give my left pinkie to spend a couple of months in Papua or the Solomons, I did Komodo and Borneo the last 3 years and it was the best diving I've ever had. A bit of a long shot but worth a try.

Yen

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Yen  View Original Post
    Wow Andy, that's some great info, thanks! I'd give my left pinkie to spend a couple of months in Papua or the Solomons, I did Komodo and Borneo the last 3 years and it was the best diving I've ever had. A bit of a long shot but worth a try.

Yen

My pleasure Yen, for me it's like a trip down memory lane...

For such a long stay, you should be able to cut a very good deal on accommodations, at least. And if the place allows for lots of shore diving, you'd then a have a very cost effective trip, and could maybe afford to ship in hardware and gas. Also, last I checked, there are non stops from Bali/Jakarta to Dili, which is great considering all the baggage weight haggling I had to do at each stop on my local Indo air itineraries. And maybe the planes are better too, since it would be an international flight, and baggage allowances might be higher than local Indo flights. FWIW, you may be able to buy local people free or reduced cost tickets in exchange for their carrying your freight as their baggage. In the USA this was done all the time until 9/11 and was referred to as 'courier service'. Also, with a little politeness and prior arrangement I was able to get higher weight allowances when flying in Indo by telling them I was a diver with a lot of heavy equipment. The Dive ops can also help with this as they deal with the airlines regularly and often know everybody in the office personally.

The wrecks in the Solomons are supposed to be great, and I bet if you could get to some of the outer resorts, the fish action should be top notch there too. You have enough time you could even take boats from island to island, which would be cheaper than flying internally, and would allow you to take much heavier stuff without paying extra.

But Timor might be the best for what you want. I think the drop offs are very severe right off the coast, and apparently there is shore diving all along the whole North coast, and several Islands off the coast which have great diving. I will definitely be going to Timor one of these days... -Andy

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post

Solomon Islands: There is a tech outfit that does CCR on Honiara, and mention of shore diving at other resorts elsewhere in the country. Should be cheap and the tech guys have a booster and HE IIRC...

L
    Quite incorrect re the cheap bit. Incredibly expensive and deemed almost not worth it. Sth pacific is very different to se asia in pricing, particularly for accom. You would be looking at aud160 per night. Sorb/o2/he is exp, boats are exp.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by s115  View Original Post
    Quite incorrect re the cheap bit. Incredibly expensive and deemed almost not worth it. Sth pacific is very different to se asia in pricing, particularly for accom. You would be looking at aud160 per night. Sorb/o2/he is exp, boats are exp.
    Hi s115, was referring to budget accommodations in the outer islands, like Gizo, where a single occupancy guesthouse room w AC is under $28 US a night, and that would be before any discounts negotiated for a long stay. Of course, it would only be good for the OP if there was shore diving in Gizo, or shore diving that could be reached by car. Then the cost of diving per day goes way down.

As for the tech part of the dive trip, I was assuming, possibly wrongly, that he wasn't going to exclusively dive tmix for months in row. and might want to mix it up and move around the country/area of choice.

Have you been to the Solomons? Can't find very many CCR divers who have, would love to hear more about it or if anybody here has dived CCR in Timor. Thanks, -Andy

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post

Have you been to the Solomons? Can't find very many CCR divers who have, would love to hear more about it or if anybody here has dived CCR in Timor. Thanks, -Andy
    Nope. Tried to go couple of years back but was prohibitively expensive.
    pm betti154, Damien. he's been a couple of times - so has his mrs.

The only real way to do it would be to hire a live aboard like golden dawn that supports tech and deck the boat out and go for it

Probably sleeping Dr.Yen is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Yen's Avatar
    PELAGIAN

The Solomons have long been on my list along with Truuk, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Palau, the Marshalls, Bikini and the Spratley. I figured I probably won't earn enough money in my lifetime to dive decently half of them, so I'm buying a 40ft cruiser and rigging it as my own self-contained CCR exploration outfit. I was initially going to buy the boat first and then the rebreather, but I'm glad I switched around. The whole thing should cost me under 40k to setup and once finished I can sell it on and get my money back. Beats dropping 5k a week on a liveaboard everytime I want to dive somewhere fancy.
    Until then I'll have to be frugal and stick to more reasonable spots for the next 3-4 years.

I'll have a spare cabin BTW ;)

Yen
    Last edited by Dr.Yen; 22nd September 2014 at 11:15.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2