+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCR diving in Curacao

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

Smile CCR diving in Curacao

Hey RBW members,

Just thought I'd share some information about my trip to Curacao this past weekend. Needless to say, I would not have thought that there would be Rebreather support on the small island of Curacao. I couldn't have been more wrong!

I linked up with Bernardo van Hoof of Goby Divers and was very pleased that they had everything I needed to conduct some CCR dives on the island. Bernardo was able to supply me with 3L steel tanks (he has 2L's as well, and aluminum cylinders), Sorb, BO bottles (80's and 40's) as well as custom trimix mixes. There isn't another shop on the island that can provide the help that he was able to give me.

Bernardo is also a Trimix CCR diver (rEvo). I was there over the weekend and spent 2 days doing deep dives using my Prism 2, with him. Our first day was a dive spot called Armageddon to 80m/265'. This was a pretty interesting place to dive. There was a bunch of trucks, small wrecks and a ton of coral throughout the entire dive, including during our decompression obligations. Our second day of diving was at Jan Thiel Beach. There is a dive site called "Diver's Leap." The name is quite apt in describing the site. There are stairs at the beach that take you to the water. Once there, it was about a 12 minute swim at a comfortable pace, to a ledge at about 50m/170'. Once on that edge, it's a straight shot down to any depth you've planned for. We had planned for 122m/400'. It was an incredible dive.

I was very surprised with the great water clarity, temperature and current speeds (not much current). What made this even better for me personally, was the fact that we didn't need a boat at all. Both of our deep dives were shore dives, and, there was never a dull moment. We had huge coral gardens to swim around while we completed our deco. I had a 149 minute run time on our deepest dive.

At the end of the day, I was pleased beyond words with my time in Curacao. If you haven't been there already, it's a bucket list kind of destination. There is a wreck called the Stella Maris (120-150m/400-500') that we will attempt next year. If anyone wants deep dives in OC or CCR, fantastic customer support and a beautiful place to dive...look no further than Goby Divers on Curacao. Bernardo will not disappoint you.
    Last edited by CGOUGHN; 10th September 2014 at 22:15.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: CCR diving in Curacao

Nice report, thanks for posting.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread