+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Down Currents

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Re: Down Currents

This is a fascinating discussion. Thank you.

I think "down currents" are a phenomenon that many divers dismiss or believe they could handle, but stories like the ones shared here are very sobering.

As another reminder, arguably the most famous diving down current accident occurred in New Zealand in 2000 when 7 divers on single cylinder open circuit air were caught in a down current at French Pass; a site known for massive currents. They were dragged down to extreme depths... one of the survivors recorded 92m (>300') on their computer. Remember, this was open circuit air. Three divers died, and virtually all of the survivors ended up in the Christchurch recompression chamber.

Analysis of a complex recreational scuba d... [Diving Hyperb Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Simon M

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Down Currents

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Mitchell  View Original Post
    This is a fascinating discussion. Thank you.

I think "down currents" are a phenomenon that many divers dismiss or believe they could handle, but stories like the ones shared here are very sobering.

As another reminder, arguably the most famous diving down current accident occurred in New Zealand in 2000 when 7 divers on single cylinder open circuit air were caught in a down current at French Pass; a site known for massive currents. They were dragged down to extreme depths... one of the survivors recorded 92m (>300') on their computer. Remember, this was open circuit air. Three divers died, and virtually all of the survivors ended up in the Christchurch recompression chamber.

Analysis of a complex recreational scuba d... [Diving Hyperb Med. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Simon M
    Thanks for the link Simon, a nightmare come to life. If they had all been on CCR, I'd bet more would have lived. And, in any down current situation that does not go past 70m or so, a CCR diver might well be able to survive without injury. It is for this reason that I bristle a bit whenever people are so absolute about the dangers of CCR diving. With proper training and vigilance they are not ultimately dangerous, quite the opposite. They can be a lifesaver, giving you lots of time and options for getting out of perilous environmental conditions. They are much less dangerous than a motorcycle, in my experience. A motorcycle certainly never saved my life, quite the opposite, but my CCR has... -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3