+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Travelling from the UK to Eqypt with a rebreather

RBW Member mattmuller is an unknown quantity at this point mattmuller's Avatar

Travelling from the UK to Eqypt with a rebreather

Hi, I'll be travelling to Eqypt in a couple of weeks with my rebreather and was hoping to get a couple of questions answered.

With the new electronics regulations in place for flights in and out of the UK - BBC News - Device charging advised for any UK flight

Does this mean you cant take your ccr head in carry on? Even though I could switch it on via the computer, it doesnt really show that its powered up.

Has anyone done this with the new regulations in place?

In terms of packing it, Im planning on packing in its grey crate, do you guys lock this or just cable tie it? If you lock it do you use TSA approved locks?

Any other tips welcome.

thanks,

Matt

RBW Member pilotu571 is an unknown quantity at this point pilotu571's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic,VISION

JJ Rebreather

Re: Travelling from the UK to Eqypt with a rebreather

Hallo Matt

my name is Ahmed salem work as ccr instructor on the red sea
    regard for your question I have lots of customers comes from germany or Europe
    and UK also with them rebreather never heard about this .

they use airliner or condor or easy jet
    and on the gray box you can use cable ties or normal lock with key
    it's fine

all the best for your trip

Ahmed

RBW Member IainC is an unknown quantity at this point IainC's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

I've just been to Egypt last week (a week on Whirlwind, wrecks & reefs), flew Gatwick to Sharm and back with my yellow box.

No problems..

Head was in hand lugage (as was a spare set of regs, dive computer and camera in underwater case), passed security without comment, the rest (including spare batteries, some buddy clean etc.) in my hold luggage.

I took my own lime, too, also no issues, although I did put it in a soft bag over the big tub and make sure the 'safe to fly' notice from the manual was taped over the hazard logo on the tub.

I friend got his pack of AA dura-cells nicked by security on the way back FROM Sharm, for no particular random reason, but that was it.

Iain.

RBW Member IainC is an unknown quantity at this point IainC's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Re baggage - went with no zip ties or locks (would use tsa approved locks if I did).

I use a big lightweight travel suitcase from IT luggage - the unit (minus tanks and lime and head), plus my fins, mask, boots etc. wrapped in my 5mm wetsuits fits under 25kg, which was my limit. Paid separately for a 2nd bag for the lime (one way only), never tried takign the crate - too bulky and no wheels/useful handles!

The head had batteries in so they could have had me turn it on if they wanted to hear frantic low O2 beeps

Thanks for the reply Ahmed!

cheers Iain, some good feedback! leave next Sat!

Matt

RBW Member Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt's Avatar
    Poseidon mk6

Hi Matt I have been going to Hurghada through Gatwick with my Poseidon Disco for a while. The only issue is the stupid charter flight hand baggage allocation of 5kg for some of them. Head unit & Electronics wise I have had no issues. You may get asked about spare lithium batteries but as long as the contacts are covered I have not been stopped.

Have a great holiday, the Red Sea is a lot better than Chepstow this time of year
    Kevin

Wrinkly Member Napier is an unknown quantity at this point Napier's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Diveratt  View Original Post
    Hi Matt I have been going to Hurghada through Gatwick with my Poseidon Disco for a while. The only issue is the stupid charter flight hand baggage allocation of 5kg for some of them. Head unit & Electronics wise I have had no issues. You may get asked about spare lithium batteries but as long as the contacts are covered I have not been stopped.

Have a great holiday, the Red Sea is a lot better than Chepstow this time of year
    Kevin
    ....and what's wrong with Chepstow.....apart from the low water level!!

RBW Member Chris Rowland is an unknown quantity at this point Chris Rowland's Avatar
    rEvo X Micro

Quote Originally Posted by IainC  View Original Post
    I took my own lime, too, also no issues, although I did put it in a soft bag over the big tub and make sure the 'safe to fly' notice from the manual was taped over the hazard logo on the tub.

Iain.
    Hi Iain,
    How much lime did you take? Was it in the original container?
    Cheers
    Chris

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

Last time I did the sums it wasnt worth buying extra baggage allowance to take lime Vs buying it out there. If you have spare allowance and do take lime then the small tubs in a bag work best. Dont just take a bare 20kg tub, the airlines don't mind but you will end up having a conversation with Egyptian customs!

S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast