+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Autoair, useful or not?

RBW Member Selim Baccar is an unknown quantity at this point Selim Baccar's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

Re: Autoair, useful or not?

Have changed mine with a scubapro power inflator, same diamater with a quick response time and most important , Way smaller

RBW Member arty93 is an unknown quantity at this point arty93's Avatar
    Evo+

Well after a weekend of diving where the autoair was constantly trickling dil and free-flowing at every opportunity my mind is made up, it's coming off!

Thanks for all of your responses

Paul

RBW Member MadUKDiver is on a distinguished road MadUKDiver is on a distinguished road MadUKDiver's Avatar
    AP Evolution

It seems the AutoAir is almost universally disliked so with some trepidation I'll try to balance things up - I still have mine on my Evolution that I bought new in 2005.

It's a sad fact that these need adjustment a few times in the first few months from new (or after changing the poppet seal). As the infant seal compresses you get the hiss and leak of diluent. This nuisance is likely the prime cause of everyone's hatred and yet the adjustment is easy and quick. A small turn of the M3 nut is all that is required to get things back to normality.

I've never seen a free flow on a properly set AutoAir but if it's leaking then highly likely to be unstable and free flow.

So why keep it?

My main reason is filling DSMB. I see lots of CCR divers carrying DSMB with small crack bottles* or using air nozzles, plastic widgets, modified QD fittings etc. So much ingenuity to solve such a menial task. On OC I always inflated the DSMB from the exhaust of my main regulator, obviously not possible on CCR so now it's simply achieved using the AutoAir.

The secondary reason is that very occasionally I take my unit for a dip without any other bailout. With 350 dives and 400 hours on my unit having never having missed or bailed from a dive I'm quite happy to do so (but "your mileage may vary").

So yes AutoAir is big and needy but looked after it does offer functionality beyond that of a simple inflator - the choice is of course yours.

* I always pity the poor OC guy on the boat being suckered into allowing the CCR users to filling their crack bottles. It's a real profit generator for the LDS shot blasting his cylinders after the salt water transfers across!

Quote Originally Posted by arty93  View Original Post
    Well after a weekend of diving where the autoair was constantly trickling dil and free-flowing at every opportunity my mind is made up, it's coming off!

Thanks for all of your responses

Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2