+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Autoair, useful or not?

RBW Member arty93 is an unknown quantity at this point arty93's Avatar
    Evo+

Autoair, useful or not?

Hi Guys

Having just completed MOD1 several weeks ago I am just now using my Evo+ for diving rather than just learning. One thing that strikes me is that the Autoair is big and unnecessary and I'm thinking about replacing it with a standard inflator. My reason being that if I have to get off the loop then I'm going for my 7 litres of bailout not 2 litres of Dil.

Am I missing something or is this a mod that AP users regularly make?

Cheers

Paul

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Re: Autoair, useful or not?

It was the 2nd change I made. Replaced entire assembly with shorter inflator tube and inflator from an Apeks wing.

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

When I bought an Vision, there was an autoair on it. The inflator hose is too long ( sorry, I dive a little bit DIR), so I replaced that with a shorter hose and a normal inflator. I don't have an ocb, so just a normal mouthpiece. And I did with this configuration my mod3 course, so never heard it is not ok.
    I can see advantages of an ocb, but not of the autoair. A normal reg is as easy to take as the autoair in an emergency. the ocb is more easy to take in my eyes, but for me this is not a must. I don't have an second stage on my neck coming from the onboard diluent.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I found the auto air to be big, clunky and worst: too damned hard to find the correct control for the job if I needed it in a hurry (purge vs dump vs inflate).

Sure, if I'd stuck with it I'd learn but no.

Replaced it with a standard LPI and a necklaced 2nd stage, then shortly afterwards dropped the 2nd stage for an OCB.

Since then I realised I have nothing in that rig for my OC buddies on shallow dives where I'm using onboard bailout. So I added a Sherwood Shadow occy inline with the LPI feed to the inflator. Similar in function to the auto air but I can pop it, pull out the extra metre of hose on it, and pass it to my buddy. And it's obvious which controls do what because they are separate units.

RBW Member kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick's Avatar
    Inspo

Yep, chop it off. Too long, too clunky, and as you say, you might as well just access the bailout in your offboard cylinder (or via a BOV).

Changing it to a standard inflator and lopping off about 8 inches from the hose were the first things I did after my course.

Honestly I don't see why you would want to keep it. A BOV plus a standard second stage on an offboard bailout cylinder would seem more than enough redundancy to me. Even if you had used up every bit of offboard bailout you could still access the onboard by going open loop.

It would be interesting to know how many Autoairs remain attached!

RBW Member mdma946552 is an unknown quantity at this point mdma946552's Avatar
    inspo clasic

well i kept mine cos wen you bailout already you get nothing to help your buddy + i use a s53 for bailout and a s40 for dil so i want to be able to use all my gas wen things go

Evo+

Autoair, useful or not?

Thanks guys, I think I'll get it removed before my next trip.

So TopLeft what was the first mod you did?

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Removed the yellow box for the tech frame.

Then the list slowly grew. Some are still a work in progress...

Evo+

Ah, I probably won't go that far just yet on a brand new unit, I think I'll slowly learn to hate it, then replace it

Evolution+

Evolution

I'd replace it quickly, one of the benefits it has is the ease of tracking down bubble sources as everything is exposed, which helps OC divers point out to you later.. Inside the box, they flow out of the box and that may not be the location to look between dives.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast