+ Reply to Thread

Thread: santi heated vest

RBW Member dickie367 is an unknown quantity at this point dickie367's Avatar
    Vision

Dolphin

santi heated vest

Can you use a light for me battery rated at 14.4 volt on a santi heated under suit rated at 12v, if so what if any are the risks.
    I take it it ohms law volt / current equals resistance and the vest would work at a higher wattage but is it still ok or is anyone runs a vest like this.
    Sorry if anyone feels this is a stupid question but i was assured this would be ok but i am not sure.

Thanks and safe diving

RBW Member jk1 is an unknown quantity at this point jk1's Avatar
    RB80, JJCCR

Re: Re: santi heated vest

Quote Originally Posted by dickie367  View Original Post
    Can you use a light for me battery rated at 14.4 volt on a santi heated under suit rated at 12v, if so what if any are the risks.
    I take it it ohms law volt / current equals resistance and the vest would work at a higher wattage but is it still ok or is anyone runs a vest like this.
    Sorry if anyone feels this is a stupid question but i was assured this would be ok but i am not sure.

Thanks and safe diving
    No, the vests are only rated to 12v, so you risk damage to the best and potentially burns by using a higher voltage.

Hth
    John

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Re: santi heated vest

Quote Originally Posted by dickie367  View Original Post

Thanks and safe diving
    I think you would be OK. Santi products are made to be robust. It will dissipate more power and therefore heat (P=V2R).

Best thing to do is try it out on land for a while before you take it underwater.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I've done it with no problem
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member Alistair is an unknown quantity at this point Alistair's Avatar
    Inspo Evo

Azimuth, Inspo Classic, Submat

santi heated vest (versus Icebreaker)

I had a very similar concern.
    I have a Typhoon Icebreaker heated vest. Although the Exo2 heating panels are not meant to 'short circuit' and cause a hot spot, this has happened to my vest. The battery and connectors are fine and I am contemplating purchasing a Santi vest and simply hooking it up to the original Icebreaker battery.
    Has anyone done this and if so, did it work (from a voltage point of view, as the Icebreaker battery pushes out 16 volts once charged) and what was the burn time (as I note that the battery of the Icebreaker is 4amp/h and the Santi 20amp/h.)

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

I've been using a Santi Vest with a 10cell 15Ah NiMh Battery for the last 4 years.
    Charged, the battery puts out 14.5V for quite some time before it drops to the rated 12V for a total of 3 hours. This is still working well w/o burning my skin even though I wear the vest against naked skin under my Weezle Extreme +. I usually need over an hour of 4°C water before I can comfortably leave the heat on for more than a few minutes. After 2 hours, I just leave the heat on all the time.
    When I built the pack I added an audible low voltage alert set to go off as soon as the battery drops below 10V under load. I'd rather destroy a battery before getting dangerously cold, but want to know what I'm doing when I'm doing it.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread