+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oxygen in Yap

MK15.x Aficionado rob.laurie will become famous soon enough rob.laurie will become famous soon enough rob.laurie will become famous soon enough rob.laurie's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15

Inspo classics, KISS Classic

Oxygen in Yap

Heading to Micronesia in Jan/Feb 2015, have O2 & sorb sorted for the rest of my trip but have been unable to source O2 during my time in Yap.

Staying with Manta Ray Bay/ Yap Divers but they don't have any rebreather support & haven't been able to help.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
    Rob

donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo's Avatar

Re: Oxygen in Yap

plan to dive OC in Yap

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by rob.laurie  View Original Post
    Heading to Micronesia in Jan/Feb 2015, have O2 & sorb sorted for the rest of my trip but have been unable to source O2 during my time in Yap.

Staying with Manta Ray Bay/ Yap Divers but they don't have any rebreather support & haven't been able to help.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
    Rob
    Hi Rob, any place that has a hospital can get O2. Ask the dive op to talk to the hospital about ordering an extra cylinder or 2 in their next shipment, they should be able to do it. That's how I did it in Alor indonesia back in 06'. But I would do it asap, as the lead time on a shipment to an island in Micronesia is probably a matter of months, not weeks. Good luck... -Andy

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
    Rob

Additionally, the dive op likely already has a relationship with the hospital, as that's where they probably get their emergency O2 refilled, and need to get their divers taken care of/patched up after mishaps. If the dive op is unwilling to help, I wouldn't use them. It's not really that much to ask and raises questions about how good their relationship is with the locals in case of emergencies. The other option is the local welding supply/construction company, which again, the dive op would probably be familiar with. I have sourced O2 from both hospitals and welding suppliers in remote parts of the Pacific. O2 is a basic ingredient of civilization, and is much less exotic than the South Pacific... -Andy

i ko nix dafa seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu's Avatar
    sf 1,?

jj,mccr-inspi,classic,rgfm

welding shop is the way to go.

RBW Member kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick is a jewel in the rough kiwichick's Avatar
    Inspo

I'm afraid I wouldn't assume the local hospital has oxygen - it would certainly be worth asking the dive operator if they actually have emergency oxygen themselves.

Despite what we might expect, it is not uncommon for hospitals in the Pacific to have unreliable supplies of oxygen, or to ration it considerably (I know of two divers who have been bent in far more developed places in the Pacific than Yap - one got no O2 because there wasn't any, the other got 2l/min via nasal prongs and was refused any more whilst awaiting her chamber treatment the next day).

I've only been to Chuuk in Micronesia, but I believe Yap is less developed. Having seen the inside of the hospital in Chuuk, I wouldn't have high expectations of the one in Yap, but am happy to be proved wrong by someone who has first hand knowledge!

Personally I would take the dive operator's lack of assistance as a hint to go open circuit.

Would love to hear what your experience was like when you get back!

Best wishes,
    Deralie

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Going to Chuuk and Palau in July with the possibility of Yap (depending on logistics) so I'm interested in following this thread.

MK15.x Aficionado rob.laurie will become famous soon enough rob.laurie will become famous soon enough rob.laurie will become famous soon enough rob.laurie's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15

Thanks for all your replies.

So I just heard back from Manta Ray Bay. Communication with Yap takes a while.

Can order from the hospital. $6 for a monthly tank rental, $105 for what they call a large tank of O2.

No sofno available, have to bring it with me.

Prism

Dolphin

Thanks for all your replies.

So I just heard back from Manta Ray Bay. Communication with Yap takes a while.

Can order from the hospital. $6 for a monthly tank rental, $105 for what they call a large tank of O2.

No sofno available, have to bring it with me.

Good news, prices are reasonable, I think we paid more than that last time for a K. Make sure to follow up with the hospital, and find out what the normal schedule of deliveries is. That way, you could order it to be there on the delivery trip before the last possible one, just to make sure there are no snafus.

Also, don't forget to find out what type of valves the tanks have. See if they will email you some pictures, that would be best. It's probably a bullnose, but there is more than one type, so try to make sure. Good luck, and make sure to tell us about your dives... -Andy

MK15.5, MK15

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Good news, prices are reasonable, I think we paid more than that last time for a K. Make sure to follow up with the hospital, and find out what the normal schedule of deliveries is. That way, you could order it to be there on the delivery trip before the last possible one, just to make sure there are no snafus.

Also, don't forget to find out what type of valves the tanks have. See if they will email you some pictures, that would be best. It's probably a bullnose, but there is more than one type, so try to make sure. Good luck, and make sure to tell us about your dives... -Andy
    When did you dive Yap CCR ? What outfit did you dive with ?

Where did you get your O2 ?

I am following up with the hospital, I checked connection & am told its a bullnose, awaiting photos.

I was there a couple years ago on OC, on the shallow Manta dives I'm curious how they will behave with CCR. Veritgo has some depth & lots of sharks & schooling fish. They have done shark feedings there which I'm not too fond of & will request they not bring out the food for them, they didn't last time. Also want to try to get out to Hunters Bank Seamount if the seas permit.

I'm there for a week prior to heading to Palau for 12 days.

Will definitely share details after I'm back.

Cheers,
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread