+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to attach/seal your mouthpiece?

RBW Member slickstick is an unknown quantity at this point slickstick's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

What do you use to attach/seal your mouthpiece?

So far over about 70 or so CCR dives I have only had two issues underwater and they were both a failing mouthpiece. Mouthpiece came detached from the breathing tube and instead of breathing air I end up sucking in water, not cool, particularly at depth with only a small bailout.

I have an inspiration classic with seacure mouthpiece. Last time I sealed it was using auto/marine waterproof sealant from home depot (DAP Products - Silicone Sealants - DAP® Auto/Marine 100% RTV Silicone Sealant) in conjunction with the zip tie. This lasted for maybe 15 dives before it came off again.

Any tips to making sure the mouthpiece stays on for good? I feel like this is a bad design, I wish there was a better physical means of attaching the mouthpiece.

Banned sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

Re: What do you use to attach/seal your mouthpiece?

Is your seacure mouthpiece the right size for your breather / DSV?

RBW Member slickstick is an unknown quantity at this point slickstick's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by sailor  View Original Post
    Is your seacure mouthpiece the right size for your breather / DSV?
    It's the best fit they make... but admittedly does not fit quite as snug as before they redesigned it. I've had both types fall off, though. The glue deteriorates and the zip tie is just not enough alone.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

The trick with Seacure mouthpiece is to warm the back end with hot water for a couple of seconds, NOT BOILING. Once you have formed the back end, remove it and put a bead of silicone sealer around the flange. Like the stuff you use for bathrooms and kitchens. Then push the Seacure back on, zip tie it and let it cure.

This tip came from Mel Clark and has been extremely helpful over the years.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

^ I really want to revisit this issue as I want the Sea Cure to work. But I'm 0-6 with regards to safe results.

RBW Member Fldvr is an unknown quantity at this point Fldvr's Avatar

I used the same method mentioned by Ken on my Revo, rock solid with no issues and lots of dives under the belt.
    My biggest problem is trimming it back far enough to get rid of an occasional Deco Gag reflex now and then.

Henry

RBW Member mdma946552 is an unknown quantity at this point mdma946552's Avatar
    inspo clasic

hey well i use a form-able mouthpiece i put it in boiling water the hole piece then i put it on the loop cable-tie that's it you need one that is a bit to small. that's how it seals, after the hot water it is jelly, easy to form and the cable-tie will dig in nice.or you use a stainless steel braced if that is what they call it.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

ALOT of people mess around with different mouthpieces... then end up with the original AP or Draeger ones because they are the only ones with the BIG bite gap required to maintain low WOB.

Just saying- do you need an expensive and fragile mouthpiece?

(PS- The original stays on perfectly with just a cable tie)

RBW Member Dr. Lecter is an unknown quantity at this point Dr. Lecter's Avatar
    rEvo II

I dive the gag-attached Drager monstrosity that rEvo mandated I have for my training…the mouthpiece was never a problem for me, but I preferred the one without the gag-strap that came with my 2nd hand unit. Since then, the gag has sort of grown on me.

A fairly serious looking cable tie that I've seriously cranked down re: tightness is enough for it to stay sealed/attached so far. Knock on wood it stays that way.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

I just use a regular mouthpiece and it holds perfectly from mouthpiece Service to mouthpiece Service with a simple cable tie.
    Wouldn't even think about starting to bother with sealant or glues..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast