+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Lost Warriors of the South Pacific"

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

"Lost Warriors of the South Pacific"

Hey everyone,

My son, Billy (who is 14) has been bugging me to look at some of the old stuff I produced back in the day when I was a filmmaker instead of a Rebreather Mechanic, so I dredged up my old BetaCam SP deck, and he hooked it up to a converter so we could digitize some of my old films.

The first one we did was a film I produced back in 1995/96 about a WWII Pilot, Jim Doughtery. In the 90's, Dave and Mariana Cooke were running Solomon Sea Divers, and they came across a wreck of a Douglas Dauntless Dive Bomber in Rendova Lagoon. A good friend and cameraman, Robert Keet did some research and located the pilot of that plane, and I decided it would make a great film to take him back to the Solomon's and let his daughter, Candace, dive the wreck.

So we took a whole crew to the island of Munda (where Dave and Mariana had their operation) and made this film. I had just finished a series on the Universe with Tom Selleck as the host, and had an idea to create a series where there was an underwater "host" - but since Tom was unavailable, I decided to give it a go myself.

The net result was (what I think) is a pretty good film which documents Jim's journey back to his old plane. As a Marine, this guy may have been older, but he was still tough as nails, and there was no way he wasn't going to dive on his bomber...

Take a look if you have time - it's not rebreather related - we couldn't get our rebreathers over there (and I was the only CCR qualified diver in the crew anyway), so we did the dives on OC using AGA Masks and OTS Comms.

Jim is now gone, but his legacy lives on - if you're ever in the Solomon's, go visit his plane - it's a very cool reminder of what their generation went through during WWII...

Hope you like it. I'm going to be transferring more of my old stuff that aired on Discovery, if for no other reason than it'll be there when my kids are grown up and can see what their old man did before he got chained to a shop building rebreathers for other people who actually go diving...

Here's the link:
    (P.S. My son tells me to tell all of you to "subscribe" to my channel, since there will be more films uploaded... He's the "techie" who is teaching me how to do all this stuff... lol...).

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Last edited by heyydude; 21st July 2014 at 19:01.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Re: "Lost Warriors of the South Pacific"

Kevin,

Thanks for sharing! Great stuff! Our kids spur us on to do some amazing things! Glad to see that Billy has gotten you to pull this out of the archives. The next generation is getting ready to overtake us! Trev is actually getting certified this week.

Again thanks for sharing!!

Mark

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Hey everyone,

(P.S. My son tells me to tell all of you to "subscribe" to my channel, since there will be more films uploaded... He's the "techie" who is teaching me how to do all this stuff... lol...).

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Subscribed... Some really good stuff here. But some sequences are pretty graphic! Like this dive on a 300+ ft wall on rebreather, without any bailout, in "Phantoms of the Deep"!?...

Keep it coming and thanks!

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by uwxplorer  View Original Post
    Subscribed... Some really good stuff here. But some sequences are pretty graphic! Like this dive on a 300+ ft wall on rebreather, without any bailout, in "Phantoms of the Deep"!?...

Keep it coming and thanks!
    I was wearing a 23 cu. ft. Bailout Bottle during those dives... (I know... I know...)... We also staged 80's at various depths along the reef...

Remember, this was back when all of us were still making this stuff up on the fly... There was serious consideration to "total reliance" on the unit back then (Leon was a big proponent of that - a philosophy I tended to agree with).

Fun dives... The best adventures are the ones where you don't die...

Glad you like the shows!

Kevin.

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

We are all grateful for pioneers like you guys, as this has made this technology and all the associated, hard learned training curriculum available to divers like me!

King of the Geeks
    HAMMERHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by uwxplorer  View Original Post
    We are all grateful for pioneers like you guys, as this has made this technology and all the associated, hard learned training curriculum available to divers like me!

Thank you for the kind words, but the credit for that work rightly lies with guys like Tom Mount, Ed Betts, GUE guys, etc, who watched a lot of us idiots and said "that sure ain't the way to do it..."

Kevin.

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Great stuff, considering that it was made in 1996 makes it even more impressive. It's also a example that a good film must not obligatory be shoot in 4k, risolution is not all . Thanks a lot for sharing and tell Your son to digitize also the rest oft Your films, would be great and
    we will enjoy his work a lot.
    Thanks Ossi Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by heyydude  View Original Post
    Hey everyone,

My son, Billy (who is 14) has been bugging me to look at some of the old stuff I produced back in the day when I was a filmmaker instead of a Rebreather Mechanic, so I dredged up my old BetaCam SP deck, and he hooked it up to a converter so we could digitize some of my old films.

The first one we did was a film I produced back in 1995/96 about a WWII Pilot, Jim Doughtery. In the 90's, Dave and Mariana Cooke were running Solomon Sea Divers, and they came across a wreck of a Douglas Dauntless Dive Bomber in Rendova Lagoon. A good friend and cameraman, Robert Keet did some research and located the pilot of that plane, and I decided it would make a great film to take him back to the Solomon's and let his daughter, Candace, dive the wreck.

So we took a whole crew to the island of Munda (where Dave and Mariana had their operation) and made this film. I had just finished a series on the Universe with Tom Selleck as the host, and had an idea to create a series where there was an underwater "host" - but since Tom was unavailable, I decided to give it a go myself.

The net result was (what I think) is a pretty good film which documents Jim's journey back to his old plane. As a Marine, this guy may have been older, but he was still tough as nails, and there was no way he wasn't going to dive on his bomber...

Take a look if you have time - it's not rebreather related - we couldn't get our rebreathers over there (and I was the only CCR qualified diver in the crew anyway), so we did the dives on OC using AGA Masks and OTS Comms.

Jim is now gone, but his legacy lives on - if you're ever in the Solomon's, go visit his plane - it's a very cool reminder of what their generation went through during WWII...

Hope you like it. I'm going to be transferring more of my old stuff that aired on Discovery, if for no other reason than it'll be there when my kids are grown up and can see what their old man did before he got chained to a shop building rebreathers for other people who actually go diving...

Here's the link: Lost Warriors of the South Pacific - YouTube

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.
    Last edited by gerstl_ossi; 16th August 2014 at 16:46.