+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poseidon MK VI/Se7en to Truk

RBW Member David Wright is an unknown quantity at this point David Wright's Avatar

Poseidon MK VI/Se7en to Truk

Just booking my first (and probably last!) trip to Truk . We are taking one Mk VI and one Se7en and looking for advice/experience

I've read that no prepacks are available so it will be TecMe repackable. Only sofnolime i've seen offered is grade 408 and grade 812. How do these compare to the MP797 we use at home?
    How much is sofnolime in Truk?
    Can we get M26 O2 cylinders locally or do we need to take adapters (or our own valves?)
    Does anyone know if you can load the Rebreather config software for both Mk VI and Se7en on one PC at the same time?

Any other comments/advice all welcome

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

Re: Poseidon MK VI/Se7en to Truk

Lucky you!

I guess that sorb is usually sorb, and I would not hesitate using one of the familiar brands for relatively shallow warm-water diving within the limitations given by the manufacturer of the unit/scrubber-cassette.

Sorb is not cheap. Rather the opposite. And I am really happy that I had a rEvo when I was there and used approximately 7 kgs during 6 days of deep diving.

M26 in Truk? I would be extremely surprised if anybody has it. I have never seen anything M26 outside of Europe, and even here it is not to common (fortunately I may add, as it is a standard that should not be followed)

RBW Member mike0396 is an unknown quantity at this point mike0396's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Discovery MKVI

Quote Originally Posted by David Wright  View Original Post
    Just booking my first (and probably last!) trip to Truk . We are taking one Mk VI and one Se7en and looking for advice/experience

I've read that no prepacks are available so it will be TecMe repackable. Only sofnolime i've seen offered is grade 408 and grade 812. How do these compare to the MP797 we use at home?
    Can we get M26 O2 cylinders locally or do we need to take adapters (or our own valves?)
    Does anyone know if you can load the Rebreather config software for both Mk VI and Se7en on one PC at the same time?

David,

I took my MKVI a year or two ago to Truk. No pre-paks are available unless you pre-ship (very costly) so I used my Tecme. Sorb is expensive at around US$13 / kg but nothing compared to He at US 0.124 / litre.

Would suggest you get a He mix made and banked. That way you don't need to fiddle around each day with the MKVI firmware and can run the same mix each day. Presumably you don't have this problem with the Se7en which should be much easier to program.

You would be the luckiest person in the world to find M26 on cylinders. You can probably get adapters at either Blue Lagoon or Truk stop but I would definitely take my own.

Personal advice: take spares kit for the MKVI (O-rings, cells, etc), take camera - one with heaps of memory, don't take more than 2 changes of clothes, take mini first aid kit - topical antibacterial for wreck cuts, anti-diarrhea pills, panadol, etc, DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS YOU CAN EACH DAY, take power board with 4 outlets and electrical adapter as you need more than the room supplies for MKVI battery, camera, computer, etc.

Don't expect reliable broadband or any bandwidth in Truk. Make sure you have your US visa for Guam.

Mike

RBW Member David Wright is an unknown quantity at this point David Wright's Avatar

Thanks for the info. Mike, did you take your cylinders or use locally supplied ones? It seems like taking cylinders would be a real pain so we're planning to get them locally but I need to make sure everything fits.

RBW Member mike0396 is an unknown quantity at this point mike0396's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Discovery MKVI

David,

Definitely local. Plenty of 3 and 2l with DIN. Also heaps of bailout and stage sizes.

Mike

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Hi David,

All the breather tanks at Blue Lagoon are all 5/8th fittings so you will definitely need to bring adapters for your O2 reg.

I have 797 grade Sofnolime there if you want it.

Just send me an email petemes@ihug.co.nz

Pete

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

Who you thinking of diving with? ThorFinn have a weird way of calculating o2 prices - as they generate their own, so charge on a litre basis. We went OC last time, but will be taking CCR's next year.

Gas / Lime / Cylinder costs will be about £300 for two weeks diving (on top of the diving costs) from the sole CCR diver on the last trip end of trips bill.

Are the 2&3L CCR cylinders available locally steel or Ali? I use 3L steel at home and would like to take my tank mounts if the jubilee clips will fit the local cylinders. We have a week on Truk Odyssey. We arrive a couple of days early to recover from the 36 hours of travelling! We hope to stay at Blue Lagoon Friday/Saturday and plan to do a couple of dives each day if we can. We will get the adapters sorted. Thanks for the info.

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

PM to follow.
    Pete
    Are the 2&3L CCR cylinders available locally steel or Ali? I use 3L steel at home and would like to take my tank mounts if the jubilee clips will fit the local cylinders. We have a week on Truk Odyssey. We arrive a couple of days early to recover from the 36 hours of travelling! We hope to stay at Blue Lagoon Friday/Saturday and plan to do a couple of dives each day if we can. We will get the adapters sorted. Thanks for the info.

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

David, not a problem, you can have both config software programs on one pc, just make sure that it is working before you leave. I have seen that getting the BT connection to play on Windows can be cumbersome. Don't forget the IR dongle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast